Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lancer99
Do most people really give these out to friends or like me, just use them to guarantee a confirmed 1st class seat earlier?
I used to give them away when I actually got upgrades without them.

Nowadays I use them all and could use more as they are nearly the only way I get upgraded to Hawaii, ORD or EWR.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Nowadays I use them all and could use more
You're a member of a growing club, to which I also belong.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by dayone
You're a member of a growing club, to which I also belong.
Misery loves company? Sorry about our shared experiences.

Recently on a trip from ORD - my seatmates in row 6 were both 75K and stuck with me in back. I was happy to be in Row 6 though.

My expectations for upgrades on anything but a quick SEA-OAK or SFO trip are pretty much nil.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:09 am

I'm on an L fare and U wasn't available at time of booking. If U opens up before the MVPG window can I call in to apply a GGU? Or am I now stuck waiting out the complimentary upgrade gauntlet?
Old May 9, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by polandspringuy
I'm on an L fare and U wasn't available at time of booking. If U opens up before the MVPG window can I call in to apply a GGU? Or am I now stuck waiting out the complimentary upgrade gauntlet?
Yes, you can apply a GGU online/by phone if U space opens before the window.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sturges
Yes, you can apply a GGU online/by phone if U space opens before the window.
Thank you sturges!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What is the usual lowest/cheapest fare class that is GGU-applicable. Is it H?

Also, if someone has to book G, R or T through Concur, is a change fee charged if he then subsequently upfares through AS and applies a GGU?

Any GGU Concur booking tips would be appreciated.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
What is the usual lowest/cheapest fare class that is GGU-applicable. Is it H?

Also, if someone has to book G, R or T through Concur, is a change fee charged if he then subsequently upfares through AS and applies a GGU?

Any GGU Concur booking tips would be appreciated.
It is K and above and there is no charge to upfare if you're already on a G, R, or T fare.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It is K and above and there is no charge to upfare if you're already on a G, R, or T fare.
Really? I thought there was a charge to upfare since it's from one coach fare to another, even if it's GGU-able, unless one of the waiver category applies: within 24 hours of booking, more than 60 days out, or Gold/75K.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Nope, I did it myself with no fee... I don't think it was just because I was 75K. I had to call in and do it though because the change flights option does not allow you to change to the SAME flight. If they just changed to logic to not exclude the flight you are on, it would work perfectly to search and upfare.

It was suggested to me to change to another flight and then back to that flight but I am afraid if something goes wrong you have lost the flight you had, so I just call it in to be safe and apply the GGU while at it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Misery loves company? Sorry about our shared experiences.

Recently on a trip from ORD - my seatmates in row 6 were both 75K and stuck with me in back. I was happy to be in Row 6 though.

My expectations for upgrades on anything but a quick SEA-OAK or SFO trip are pretty much nil.
Now you get to "waitlist" for row 6
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Once a guest upgrade is applied to a non-elite, can I cancel it at any time before departure and get a replacement code? If so, how late can I cancel the upgrade? Can I request the replacement code later (i.e. after the flight)?

I'm specifically thinking about using an upgrade for a second travel companion while hoping for complimentary upgrades for myself and one companion. If the upgrades for me and the first companion don't clear, I'd have the second companion put back in coach. If there's a chance of the two upgrades clearing, I would like to avoid cancelling the guest upgrade until the gate if possible.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ashill
Once a guest upgrade is applied to a non-elite, can I cancel it at any time before departure and get a replacement code? If so, how late can I cancel the upgrade? Can I request the replacement code later (i.e. after the flight)?

I'm specifically thinking about using an upgrade for a second travel companion while hoping for complimentary upgrades for myself and one companion. If the upgrades for me and the first companion don't clear, I'd have the second companion put back in coach. If there's a chance of the two upgrades clearing, I would like to avoid cancelling the guest upgrade until the gate if possible.
You can ask for a replacement code when you cancel the reservation. I don't believe you can cancel just the upgrade.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:16 pm

GGU questions

Hi,
New to MVP Gold and have questions on how to use my 4 GGU certificates as AS website is not too clear.

1. Can GGU be applied to any economy fare? Instead of hoping at -72hr for my upgrade to clear (if I purchased non-qualifying fare) I can apply one GGU for one-way upgrade right after ticket purchase?
2. How do I know when booking that my flight can be upgraded using GGU?
3. Can GGUs be used anywhere AS flies? Including Caribbean and Hawaii?
4. If I choose a flight with connection, will I need one GGU for each segment?

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Did you bother to search?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.