Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UserMark
I have a ticket issued by BA, with an AS flight as part of the reservation. Apparently I cannot use a GGU because the ticket wasn't issued by AS. Do I have other options? Can I try for the complimentary upgrade? How about standby at the gate? (Is that the same thing?) The AS flight is the last flight on my reservation. Is there any chance that after I fly all the other flights AS will reissue the ticket so that the flight is on their ticket stock?
You can get on the complimentary upgrade list. You should try to log into your reservation using the AS PNR to be sure you are correctly waitlisted, or give AS a call/tweet to confirm. This will only work if you are crediting the flights to AS of course, and you have requisite AS elite status at the time of the request/travel.

I doubt they will reissue the ticket on their own stock, and unless this is amid a lengthy stopover at the city where your AS flight departs from, it probably wouldn't make a difference to convert the ticket as you are unlikely to be able to successfully apply a GGU just before flight departure.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold100K
Using GGU for Premium Class?

I have two GGUs that will go to waste this year and would like to use one to upgrade to premium class on a flight where there is no U space but premium class currently looks pretty empty. Anyone tried this before and know if it will work?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kamala79
I have two GGUs that will go to waste this year and would like to use one to upgrade to premium class on a flight where there is no U space but premium class currently looks pretty empty. Anyone tried this before and know if it will work?
I don't think it will work (certainly won't work online, maybe a rep could work some magic). I'd continue to monitor the flight for U space to open.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold100K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I don't think it will work (certainly won't work online, maybe a rep could work some magic). I'd continue to monitor the flight for U space to open.
Normally I would, but it's our first flight with two infant twins and we're trying to keep everyone together. Definitely did not work to select premium online with a GGU. I bit the bullet and paid for it on the third seat.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Now with only 12 F seats on the -800 it's been a lot harder to get U space before gate close on Hawaii flights. Last year wth 16F you could get space at least 4-5 days out of the week (SAN-OGG).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:29 pm

Alaska Gold Upgrade Certificate Question

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been answered. I've been searching the internet for a week and haven't found an answer. My parents have 2 Gold upgrade certificates they want to give me, so nice of them, my questions is, do I need to use one certificate for each leg of the trip, (ie LAX to HNL (use one) HNL to LAX (use one))? Lastly, Will one certificate cover me and my companion or do I need one certificate for each person, so I would need a total of 4? Hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by calguy77
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been answered. I've been searching the internet for a week and haven't found an answer. My parents have 2 Gold upgrade certificates they want to give me, so nice of them, my questions is, do I need to use one certificate for each leg of the trip, (ie LAX to HNL (use one) HNL to LAX (use one))? Lastly, Will one certificate cover me and my companion or do I need one certificate for each person, so I would need a total of 4? Hope this makes sense. Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
To the best of my knowledge, each certificate is good for one person traveling one way. One way includes connecting flights, so if they're available you could conceivably upgrade say SEA-SJC-HNL.

For you and your girlfriend to travel First Class out and back you would need four certificates.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's one certificate per leg per person. If you're doing two people round trip then you need four total certificates.

Also note that there must be upgrade space available, and you must purchase a fare that is eligible. You can find this out by selecting the "MVP Gold Guest" option on the left in your flight search results and looking for flights that show a blue box with an F in it.

Neil
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Apologies if this has been answered. I've been searching the internet for a week and haven't found an answer.
Wouldn't it have been quicker to have just called Alaska Airlines?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:23 pm

Or one might think that in a week's worth of internet searching, the OP might have encountered the relevant terms and conditions:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
Seat 2A, missamo80 and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Or one might think that in a week's worth of internet searching, the OP might have encountered the relevant terms and conditions:
That would have been too easy
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Relevant part of the page, since it is kinda buried at the bottom:

• Each guest upgrade code is valid for one-way travel for one person. Connecting flights must have no more than a 4-hour stopover between them.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
To the best of my knowledge, each certificate is good for one person traveling one way. One way includes connecting flights, so if they're available you could conceivably upgrade say SEA-SJC-HNL.

For you and your girlfriend to travel First Class out and back you would need four certificates.
Girlfriend? Sorry, I only have boyfriend's.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Girlfriend? Sorry, I only have boyfriend's.
Sorry about that, CG. Boyfriend it is, then. Here's hoping you both get upgraded!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
If only 1 U-space is open and I book a two-person trip, can I upgrade just one of the two using the cert?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.