Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by cxua
I am based in Hong Kong, so I only fly CX metal anyway. Also rarely need US domestic connections, so I think I am still good.
What use would you have for the AS Visa Companion Certificate then?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
What use would you have for the AS Visa Companion Certificate then?
That is a benefit I wouldn't be able to take advantage of. Which is still a good deal for me, I think.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cxua
Not a lot. I understand AS can't redeem for KA, which is fine for me.
Ok - I don't think you can EARN on them either. From your statements, I had the (perhaps mistaken) impression you were intending to earn miles by flying CX, and we've had questions before from others who didn't realize that only CX flight numbers 100-999 are eligible to earn. Wanted to make sure you were aware.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Calculon
Ok - I don't think you can EARN on them either. From your statements, I had the (perhaps mistaken) impression you were intending to earn miles by flying CX, and we've had questions before from others who didn't realize that only CX flight numbers 100-999 are eligible to earn. Wanted to make sure you were aware.
Thanks for your information. I mostly only fly CX metal, so earning and redeeming CX metal. That is my primary use for AS miles.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Anyone else get this? 3x miles on hotel / car rentals.

http://willrunformiles.boardingarea.....KZXGdF5W.dpbs

Some report offer of 5x on AS tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes, I got the 3x.

Which leads me to another question...do any of you use your AS Visa for your secondary car rental coverage (after your own car policy)?

The reason I ask is that I use a different credit card for that. BUT...a few days ago during the cc spiel the FA was saying that it covers EVERYTHING - she said she got into an accident and it completely covered all her costs associated with the accident.

Now, I didn't ask for specifics but I always thought your cc insurance was just a back-up to your own policy. Was she correct, or just exaggerating? If it's true, I'll switch to using my AS Visa if I wouldn't have to get my own insurance involved in an accident. But if she was just running on at the mouth I'll stick with what I've been doing.

After I get opinions here I guess I'll start digging through the Visa T&C's, but this is easier.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BarryL
Anyone else get this? 3x miles on hotel / car rentals.

http://willrunformiles.boardingarea.....KZXGdF5W.dpbs

Some report offer of 5x on AS tickets.
I got 3x too.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, I got the 3x.

Which leads me to another question...do any of you use your AS Visa for your secondary car rental coverage (after your own car policy)?

The reason I ask is that I use a different credit card for that. BUT...a few days ago during the cc spiel the FA was saying that it covers EVERYTHING - she said she got into an accident and it completely covered all her costs associated with the accident.

Now, I didn't ask for specifics but I always thought your cc insurance was just a back-up to your own policy. Was she correct, or just exaggerating? If it's true, I'll switch to using my AS Visa if I wouldn't have to get my own insurance involved in an accident. But if she was just running on at the mouth I'll stick with what I've been doing.

After I get opinions here I guess I'll start digging through the Visa T&C's, but this is easier.
Call them and ask. The critical term to listen for is "primary insurance" - and be sure to ask about the deductible.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:18 am

I did find this, and the AS Visa is not on the list. Nor is the card I currently use. But since I don't have *any* of the cards listed, I'll just stick with what I have been using:

Best for a U.S. rental: A card that offers primary insurance coverage
If there's one thing travel and auto rental experts agree on, it's this: Use a card that offers primary coverage if you have one. Then, if you damage or wreck your rental car, you won't have to file a claim with your auto insurance. "That alone can save you a tremendous amount of money in the long term, because you avoid any chance of your premiums going up from a claim," Weinberg says.

Fortunately, more cards are offering primary coverage. The following cards, as of October 2015, offer primary coverage, and should be your first choice when renting a car in the U.S.:
• United MileagePlus Explorer and MileagePlus Club.
• Fairmont Visa Signature.
• Discover Escape.
• J.P. Morgan Palladium card.
• Ritz Carlton Visa Signature.
• Chase Sapphire Preferred.
• Many rewards business cards (Most require that your rental is for business use for the coverage to apply)

from creditcards.com
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I did find this, and the AS Visa is not on the list. Nor is the card I currently use. But since I don't have *any* of the cards listed, I'll just stick with what I have been using:

Best for a U.S. rental: A card that offers primary insurance coverage
If there's one thing travel and auto rental experts agree on, it's this: Use a card that offers primary coverage if you have one. Then, if you damage or wreck your rental car, you won't have to file a claim with your auto insurance. "That alone can save you a tremendous amount of money in the long term, because you avoid any chance of your premiums going up from a claim," Weinberg says.

Fortunately, more cards are offering primary coverage. The following cards, as of October 2015, offer primary coverage, and should be your first choice when renting a car in the U.S.:
• United MileagePlus Explorer and MileagePlus Club.
• Fairmont Visa Signature.
• Discover Escape.
• J.P. Morgan Palladium card.
• Ritz Carlton Visa Signature.
• Chase Sapphire Preferred.
• Many rewards business cards (Most require that your rental is for business use for the coverage to apply)

from creditcards.com
Cards that offer primary such as the CSP, offer them in the US only? Or worldwide?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:37 am

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...erage-1273.php

This is the website I got my above info from. You might want to search yourself for other sources.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:09 am

I read that there is no pre-set spending limit on this visa signature card. so what is the practical limit if say my credit line is $20000? What is the rule of thumb? twice as much as the credit line? thanks
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sbbi
I read that there is no pre-set spending limit on this visa signature card. so what is the practical limit if say my credit line is $20000? What is the rule of thumb? twice as much as the credit line? thanks
Where did you read that? That would be news to me.

On most Amex cards, for example, they say there's no preset limit. You can check your "spending ability" (I think that's the term they use) on the Amex website when you're logged in - seems to me that it's just another way of describing a credit line, perhaps one that's adjusted dynamically.

I would assume that if you AS card's CL os $20K, that's as much as they will allow you to spend on the card.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbbi
FWIW, mine came with a credit limit. A generous one, but still a limit.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just got an offer for 5x on Alaska purchases up to 2,500 bonus pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.