Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
This is F***ing outrageous !!!

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
When they make changes, they don't mess around.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
This change will probably affect most of you down in "America" but this is still an amazing perk for those of us in #49. Many of you get the perks of paying $300 r/t to fly almost anywhere in the Lower 48, while $300 will barely get us to Anchorage and back. Just to fly to Florida, I'm looking at $850 roundtrip, while I'm paying only $320 roundtrip to fly from Seattle to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, it sucks they can't be used for First Class... but that doesn't make these worthless. Just worth LESS than before...
San Juan, Puerto Rico? Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can't use the discount to fly to San Juan.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

From AS FB page...

"All new companion fare certificates issued after August 1st will be valid in conjunction with Coach Class only. Any unused certificates may still be used towards First Class until their expiration date. Ongoing cost pressures and growing demand for limited space in First Class (particularly on flights to Hawaii and the East Coast) prompted the changes. Our companion fare still offers tremendous value in that - unlike other airlines' offerings - it can be used for travel to anywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico. Additionally, as an MVP Gold, you can still use your benefits to upgrade to First Class when traveling on a companion fare ticket. -David"

What a bunch of bull
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by golfingboy
San Juan, Puerto Rico? Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can't use the discount to fly to San Juan.
I think his point was just how cheap fares originating from "outside" are as compared to fares originating in #49.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think s/he was just trying to project the spotlight on high air fares out of here and how the companion code can really make a big difference in lowering the cost of a trip.

Last edited by dave1013; Jul 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm Reason: Gender neutrality
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
This change will probably affect most of you down in "America" but this is still an amazing perk for those of us in #49. Many of you get the perks of paying $300 r/t to fly almost anywhere in the Lower 48, while $300 will barely get us to Anchorage and back. Just to fly to Florida, I'm looking at $850 roundtrip, while I'm paying only $320 roundtrip to fly from Seattle to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, it sucks they can't be used for First Class... but that doesn't make these worthless. Just worth LESS than before...
Originally Posted by dave1013
Dear fellow Juneauite - I hear ya. The sun will come up tomorrow despite this loss.

However, when you step back and take a look at the bigger picture ... well .... I can't help but feel like the proverbial frog that fell into the pot of water on the stove. Our Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, AS, turned on the heat but put it at a low setting. But each time a change was instituted, the heat got ratcheted up a smidge. Therefore, us frogs really didn't feel it too badly when they did away with the cookies .... and then took away the BR visitations when we weren't flying .... and then foisted the G/T no-can-upgrade switcheroo on us .... and then ix-nay'ed the 1,000 bonus for online ticket purchases .... and then today's masterpiece. I'm sure I missed a couple. Before we knew it, the water was boiling and we were thoroughly poached!

As you well know, here in Juneau don't have a choice for getting out of town save for the ferry. Until the road to Skagway gets built (Kevlar suit being donned).

Taken one at a time, yes, the world isn't about to end (Mayan lore notwithstanding). But compare where we are today versus a couple years ago. The difference is pretty substantial.
Agree completely...the fact that the companion cert is still valid for the entire route network does make it still valuable for many, especially cardholders that live on the fringe of AS's route network. For me personally, my travel patterns don't always involve using the companion certificate for myself. The cert + the booking bonus still made the card valuable to me - I just gifted the companion certificate the years I didn't use it personally. Now with the loss of the booking bonus, I think I'll put my $75 fee elsewhere.

The bigger concern for me is that I perceive this trend as a sign of things to come...as is being discussed in all of the rest of the threads on this forum currently. A couple of further key bean counting changes will have me looking elsewhere for my primary business. At least based in ANC I have the option to look elsewhere, albeit limited.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Corporate Alaska Air really doesn't care what their loyal clientele think about these changes; amazing how they can do it and still post cheery notices as to how this really benefits everyone. Bottom line is that it benefits the bean-counting "suits" who come up with these awesome ways to chip away. They truly don't care what we think - sad but true. As long as they get their million dollar salaries and perks, they're happy.

Eventually Alaska Air will be absorbed/merged with someone else and then none of this will truly matter since the corporate brains will be out of jobs anyway and can no longer make idiotic decisions.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Any chance they will refund the annual fee I paid when I got this card in October? I have not used the companion cert yet. Can I book it before august 1 and change flights later?

Ugh. The 1k bonus was 50% of why I got this card... The companion cert to book F tickets was the other 50... Pretty disappointing.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Cancel cancel cancel! Bye bye Alaska MC Canada...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PDXchris
Any chance they will refund the annual fee I paid when I got this card in October? I have not used the companion cert yet. Can I book it before august 1 and change flights later?

Ugh. The 1k bonus was 50% of why I got this card... The companion cert to book F tickets was the other 50... Pretty disappointing.
Your companion cert issued prior to August 1 will still be valid on first class through its expiration, the way I read it, so no changes to your cert. I do wonder if you could talk them out of last year's fee based on changing the booking bonus prior to anniversary.

Also...one consideration for many who use the companion cert for F booking...the way I read this, any cert issued prior to August 1 is still valid on F; since this card is churnable and one can have more than 1, I'd think if you apply now you'd still get the bonus and another cert valid for 1 year in F...perhaps BofA will see a huge surge in applications...and subsequent cancellations in the upcoming months.

And the silver lining for elites is that perhaps upgrade percentages will increase with the loss of this F purchasing revenue - though that would be a bit ironic if it opens up significant space in transcons or HI that they end up giving away. They'd be better off selling those as companion certs.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXchris

Any certs already issued are valid for all fare classes until they expire.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
And the silver lining for elites is that perhaps upgrade percentages will increase with the loss of this F purchasing revenue - though that would be a bit ironic if it opens up significant space in transcons or HI that they end up giving away. They'd be better off selling those as companion certs.
Yes, that was my point (in either this or another similar thread).
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any certs already issued are valid for all fare classes until they expire.
My anniversary date is in July, so hopefully I get my discount code in enough time to book F with it...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
From AS FB page...

"All new companion fare certificates issued after August 1st will be valid in conjunction with Coach Class only. Any unused certificates may still be used towards First Class until their expiration date. Ongoing cost pressures and growing demand for limited space in First Class (particularly on flights to Hawaii and the East Coast) prompted the changes. Our companion fare still offers tremendous value in that - unlike other airlines' offerings - it can be used for travel to anywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico. Additionally, as an MVP Gold, you can still use your benefits to upgrade to First Class when traveling on a companion fare ticket. -David"

What a bunch of bull
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
My anniversary date is in July, so hopefully I get my discount code in enough time to book F with it...
Your original quote from AS FB page states (emphasis mine) that as long as your new cert is issued prior to August 1st, it will be valid until it expires to be used towards first class; i.e. it is when your certificate is issued, not when you make your booking, that makes the difference. You should be able to tell with relative certainty when it will be issued - look in your account and see when your last one was issued; should be a year (+/- a couple of days) later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.