Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I just cancelled mine today (applied Sep 2014 before move to TD)
They said they can re-activate cancelled card within 90 days (no thanks)

Will apply later (the 0% Balance Transfer one + Alaska)
So you will apply today?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I just cancelled mine today (applied Sep 2014 before move to TD)
They said they can re-activate cancelled card within 90 days (no thanks)

Will apply later (the 0% Balance Transfer one + Alaska)
Do you just cancel card with the credit? Or do you transfer the credit over to another card before cancelling? it seems like if you were to do the latter you could guarantee approval in the future.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Do you just cancel card with the credit? Or do you transfer the credit over to another card before cancelling? it seems like if you were to do the latter you could guarantee approval in the future.
I just cancelled for the ease of it
and hope I get more credit room when I later applied MBNA Platinum ($50 RFD cashback) for the 0% balance transfer

Don't need much credit on my next Alaska card anyway, nor any immediate use, so I can wait a bit.
but now I think about it further, maybe I should've asked them to CONVERT directly (and live without the $50 cashback?)

I'm not brave enough to apply/own 3 MBNA Alaska cards concurrently
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:26 am

The rep told me that I'd get the welcome points after a "qualifying purchase" and that since I have a 5k credit limit I get 30k instead of 25k? ....I assume she was wrong about both?

Also, since apparently the $5k limit does give you some additional features (I just never heard of an additional 5k?), what happens if/when I apply for another one and get declined and ask them to move credit away from that card? Does it get downgraded to the "other" Alaska card?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:37 am

Has anybody received an offer to upgrade from the Plat to the World Elite Alaska card recently?

A long time ago people were getting upgraded for free with a 10k bonus, but haven't seen any reports since the TD website transition
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by zer0k1
The rep told me that I'd get the welcome points after a "qualifying purchase" and that since I have a 5k credit limit I get 30k instead of 25k? ....I assume she was wrong about both?
https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...1&locale=en_CA
https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...l.htm#FirstUse

†† To qualify for this offer, an applicant must be approved for the specific credit card account described in the offer. Please allow 8–10 weeks from the account approval date for bonus Miles to be posted to your Mileage Plan account. Limit one-time bonus Miles offer (no cash value) per new account. This promotion is offered by MBNA and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice. Additional bonus Miles may be awarded within 8-10 weeks of the approval date if a completed application is submitted to an Alaska Airlines employee.
I don't see anything about qualifying purchase?
I tend to not even activate the card...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
I don't see anything about qualifying purchase?
I tend to not even activate the card...
But the card still shows up on your credit bureau files, correct?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
But the card still shows up on your credit bureau files, correct?
Literally had the card in my hand and on the activation webpage, but will wait for his response before I go through with it

When I click on the "Rewards" tab, and then "Check your rewards balance" the 25k is in there. So maybe there is no reason to activate after all.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just applied for my 2nd card. I have good income, own my own home (no mortgage), excellent credit score, answered all my security questions correctly and they still didn't approve me immediately!

Said I should hear back in 10-15 days.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
. . . and they still didn't approve me immediately!
They didn't decline you immediately either! App has gone for manual review. Call on Monday and ask for a status update. The person you talk to will be able to find your App and tell you a decision either way. Good luck!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Just applied for my 2nd card. I have good income, own my own home (no mortgage), excellent credit score, answered all my security questions correctly and they still didn't approve me immediately!

Said I should hear back in 10-15 days.
The one criteria you're missing from your description is # of applications from your address. I've had a couple "wait and see" replies despite having all the good stuff a financial institution wants. However, in asking one of their reps about why I was rejected I was informed that the IT system flags multiple applications from one address as a reason not to auto-approve.

So...if you are in that situation it's normal, I think, to not be auto-approved. As todd-r suggests call in and the rep should manually approve.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
The one criteria you're missing from your description is # of applications from your address. I've had a couple "wait and see" replies despite having all the good stuff a financial institution wants. However, in asking one of their reps about why I was rejected I was informed that the IT system flags multiple applications from one address as a reason not to auto-approve.

So...if you are in that situation it's normal, I think, to not be auto-approved. As todd-r suggests call in and the rep should manually approve.
so is that a confirmation that reps will still manually approve even if the applicant already has the same card?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grandgourmand

You're right. I've applied for 4-5 cards in the last few months (decided to step up my game on credit cards now that most FF programs are going down the toilet), so that might be it. I also never carry a balance (often pay early) which I think might impact me negatively for some reason.

I'll call on Monday. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: just got my GCR rebate confirmation. Can I assume I'm approved?

If yes, how long should I wait for next card?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: *void
Update: just got my GCR rebate confirmation. Can I assume I'm approved?

If yes, how long should I wait for next card?
With my most recent MBNA Alaska Air MC application, I received the $25 GCR email rebate notification by the next day, less than 24hrs after I had applied.

Three weeks later, and I'm still waiting for the card. Meanwhile, my wife applied a day after I did, and she already has the card in her purse.

So, I spoke to an MBNA credit analyst. Told me I was approved, but they are still experiencing the "delay issues" they had in Oct/Nov 2014, when MBNA's online systems moved under the TD mothership. Their staff will need to manually re-input my application, and as per my last call to them, it's finally been done.

But, to expedite the process, I think if you're in the same boat as me, then you should call and ask a rep to push it along, rather than wait for it to come out of the queue on its own. That's the impression I got based on the convo I had with the CSR.

JJJ, still waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.