Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-Flight Concierges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ *G
We had a flight from SFO-AKL last year that was delayed at the gate for 5 hours after we boarded that turned into a real comedy of errors.

The IFC was really great throughout and did their best to organise alternatives flights/accommodation/meal vouchers (for the next unscheduled stop in Fiji minus all PAX baggage)/use of their cellphone and reimbursements for the trouble.

Big congrats to the IFC and AirNZ for sorting it out ^
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:41 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
I've just come back from a trip that included my first two flights with an IFC onboard - a fantastic experience on both. The first flight was LHR - LAX in Y, I chatted with the IFC as he was passing through the Star lounge, he sorted out a seat change for me and checked with the gate on my upgrade request (didn't come through as the flight was sold out, but so much nicer than finding out when boarding!). Onboard he again stopped by to say hi and gave me a pair of socks, eyeshades, noise-cancelling headphones and a bottle of water (I think he was giving these to all Golds and GEs), and later on gave me some great tips for Mexican restaurants to try out in LA on my 24 hour stopover (I requested this, and got a page of handwritten notes including dishes to try and where to spot Hollywood stars). I really felt this was a step up from the already exceptional onboard product NZ offer.

Second flight was LAX - AKL, this time my upgrade to BP came through and slept most of the flight, so less opportunity for the IFC to make an impact. But chatted with him in the lounge, he had printed out a note giving some details about the flight that was at everyone's seat (at least in BP) which was a nice touch, and again gave me some great tips for Auckland restaurants and some wine tasting in my (again short) stopover in Auckland before flying to Fiji the next day.

I had another great experience with an IFC last year, although I wasn't flying - my wife was flying LHR - LAX - NAN on her own late last year, and she's a very nervous flyer. She was particularily worried about finding the way from T2 to TBIT for her onward connection on Air Pacific (I know, its easy to us seasoned fliers). I was with her in the Gold lounge in London (travelling to AMS on BMI), we met the concierge who promised to take good care of her and point her in the right direction once in LA. This really made a difference to Neelam, and its wonderful that AirNZ can do this. She told me afterwards that the concierge and the FSM came to see her onboard before departure to make sure she was ok, the IFC checked on her a few times during the flight, and waited for her outside the terminal in LA to show her the way to TBIT. Fantastic.

Cheers, Zac
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:04 am

I phoned up NZ earlier to request some seat assignments - My 3 yr old son is travelling with us in BP from SYD-AKL-LAX, and while I think it's quite important that he be able to see one of us during takeoff, the current seatmaps online have us seated on either sides of the middle divide. Every other seat is unavailable, both to me and, it appears, the CS agent on the phone.

But although the CS agent wasn't able to directly help me, she appreciated my concern and without any prompting said that she was writing a note for it to be sorted out either prior to the day, or at the airport.

The relevance to this thread is that she told me that there was a concierge onboard the AKL-LAX leg, and that concierges are experts in sorting exactly these kinds of problems out.

As someone who hasn't flown NZ before, it has given me a great impression up front that (a) the CS person on the phone was understanding and reassuring and (b) the concierge system is in place as a backup to ensure a problem is resolved. I could compare and contrast this with UA, who I would have no confidence in either fixing the seat request before or during the flight.

So, add me to the pro-concierge group, and I haven't even flown yet
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:43 pm

Only had one encounter with a concierge so far on NZ8 (AKL-SFO) who I'd describe as useless.

I asked him about things I should perhaps do in San Fran (my first stop) and he gave what seemed to be a standard response "Oh the musuems are nice, golden gate bridge and those sorts of things".

As I'm gay I wanted to know where I could find some gay friendly clubs in SFO (I knew where they were though thought I'd test him since he gave a useless answer to my previous question) to which he said "just have a look around and I'm sure you'll find one". San Fran has a huge gay population and I would have at least his answer to mention the Castro area as that's the main one especially with my more direct question rather than open ended one prior or just admit that you don't know.

I'd compare him to the flight attendants on AC758 (SFO - YYZ) who were magnificent. I asked them about things which I could do in Toronto and they listed off a whole bunch, writing them on a piece of paper too. They also went over the rest of my holiday (which I'm on now) and suggested places which I should go (along with places to avoid) in almost all the cities which I'm visiting. I asked her about gay clubbing and she said she wasn't too sure, though she would get her colleague to come have a chat to me. He was awesome as well, rolled off even more places to visit and filled me in on the gay areas. I was blown away by their service!

Perhaps I had slightly higher expectations, though he just seemed useless. I didn't expect that he would know everything though I did expect better answers. More like the AC flight attendants responses.

Maybe he didn't care since I was in economy, I don't know just an idea. After flying AC and having that service I really don't want to fly NZ again!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, CO, NW, EK
Concierge help all pax right?

Don't mean to push the bar higher - would they be able to somehow sweet talk CO (Continental) into refunding the US$175 they charged on a $349 RT to correct a mistake to earlier EWR-LAX return flight on Apr 30, 2009? OK I'm being a bit silly.

So would they know of up to date transit delay times of say T2 in LAX? They say 2 hrs is a rough guide to allow for transfer, I was so close to wanting to get a 1.45hr next flight onwards to EWR as the ones after that are 6 or so hours later at 8pm.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Hi adamrau

As far as I'm aware, there is no facility anywhere at LAX for the update of transit times: NZ Groundstaff can let us know at the aircraft door if the immigration queue is especially long, but that is a subjective judgement - a short queue can move slowly and vice versa.

Your concierge should, however, always be able to advise you of which LAX terminal is required, and how to get there.

Last edited by Dogs_Ears_Up; Nov 21, 2009 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk adamrau and TheRealBrendo

In my experience normally the ground staff who comes onboard when doors open will make an announcement if immigration queues are unusually big. They may not mention it if queues are normal (20-40 minutes for non-Americans not counting customs).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: nz
hi - when are you travelling ?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
I wish they would revert this person back to a FA, they are just about the most useless flaps of skin on the plane, from what I can see they do nothing except suck up to passangers which is bloody annoying.
HEAR HEAR and they only suck up to the ones that show on the flight list as certain to gain lots of empathy from , i could not believe the one we had yvr -akl on inaugural 747 flight a few weeks back i was in BP and GE , not a flicker but all the trendies with the right profile...hmmm no i dont need a chit chat in particular but i just think they are genareally a waste of airline money
On my award flight in BP to AKL this past January, the very nice Concierge came by to introduce herself to me, quickly said she was talking to me as a I am an Air Canada *G flyer. She really was incredibly friendly and nice, trying hard to do her job, I just wish she would have left me alone though.
The idea behind the concierge service is great, but I think the concierges' need to be cross trained to do some FA duties as well, and do them.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:43 am

can the inflight Concierge help with destination related questions, such as resturant recomendations or reservations?

If I am heading to a new destination I see real value in having a local to answer questions inflight. It makes good use of what would otherwise be down time.

The biggest problem I see is that the concierges would have to know at least two cities since they fly back and forth. The only solution I see to this would be if each flight had two concierges, a local from the destination and arrival city. That way when the flight is heading to the concierges, home city he could help with recomendation and the other could focus on service related issue.

However I guess this further runs into the issue of pax connecting, but it is a good start.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Originally Posted by TheRealBrendo
Only had one encounter with a concierge so far on NZ8 (AKL-SFO) who I'd describe as useless.

I'd compare him to the flight attendants on AC758 (SFO - YYZ) who were magnificent............................Perhaps I had slightly higher expectations, though he just seemed useless. I didn't expect that he would know everything though I did expect better answers. More like the AC flight attendants responses.

Maybe he didn't care since I was in economy, I don't know just an idea. After flying AC and having that service I really don't want to fly NZ again!
But did you bother asking the flight attendants on the flight rather than just the concierge? If you had, most questions can be answered, as this is what the flight attendats have done for years. The concierge is in addition.
Old May 9, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
I have normally been flying SQ on my NZ-Europe legs, but this time around I had to fly out at short notice due to a funeral, and Air NZ it was, WLG-AKL-LAX-LHR.

The phone staff were excellent and booked me in without any dramas - very efficient they were, playing around with routings and making sure I got a good deal (as a mere mortal flying Y).

AKL-LAX I was asleep for most of. No sign of an IFC noted. Immigration etc well explained and we were guided through (albeit in a slightly cattle-like manner).

LAX-LHR. IFC introduces himself via the PA, announcing that he will make his way around the cabin with immigration forms and assist with any other problems, questions, queries etc. My only interaction with him was with regards to whether or not I needed to complete a UK Arrivals form. (On my passport, no).

He seemed to be helping with meal/drinks services, assisting some passengers, and have a role that was rather consistent with the 'fluid' job description that has been discussed in this forum.

Useful or not, it's an interesting concept.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by HaaZe
LAX-LHR. IFC introduces himself via the PA, announcing that he will make his way around the cabin with immigration forms and assist with any other problems, questions, queries etc. My only interaction with him was with regards to whether or not I needed to complete a UK Arrivals form. (On my passport, no)/
Just what we need - more PA announcements! They should have a setup where only the really essential ones interrupt the IFE.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Just what we need - more PA announcements! They should have a setup where only the really essential ones interrupt the IFE.
Does a short (probably no more than 20 sec) PA realy going to upset your viewing time on a 12 hour flight?
Old May 11, 2009, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by air_boi
Does a short (probably no more than 20 sec) PA realy going to upset your viewing time on a 12 hour flight?
Well funnily enough, yes it does. If all the announcements were at once that would not be too bad, but instead they are spaced out.

Being forced to watch the safety video is bad enough despite being able to recite it....

Welcome aboard this Air New Zealand Boeing []. Even if you fly with us frequently please watch this safety demonstration as it is specific to this aircraft.

First make sure your cabin baggage is safely stowed either in the overhead lockers or under the seat in front of you.

Whenever the seatbelt signs are switched on return to your seat and do up the seatbelt. Ensure it’s tight and fits low across your hips.

You are advised to keep your seatbelt fastened when seated during the flight.

To release the seat-belt simply lift the lever.

and on it goes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.