FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In-Flight Concierges
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:41 pm
Zaco

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
I've just come back from a trip that included my first two flights with an IFC onboard - a fantastic experience on both. The first flight was LHR - LAX in Y, I chatted with the IFC as he was passing through the Star lounge, he sorted out a seat change for me and checked with the gate on my upgrade request (didn't come through as the flight was sold out, but so much nicer than finding out when boarding!). Onboard he again stopped by to say hi and gave me a pair of socks, eyeshades, noise-cancelling headphones and a bottle of water (I think he was giving these to all Golds and GEs), and later on gave me some great tips for Mexican restaurants to try out in LA on my 24 hour stopover (I requested this, and got a page of handwritten notes including dishes to try and where to spot Hollywood stars). I really felt this was a step up from the already exceptional onboard product NZ offer.

Second flight was LAX - AKL, this time my upgrade to BP came through and slept most of the flight, so less opportunity for the IFC to make an impact. But chatted with him in the lounge, he had printed out a note giving some details about the flight that was at everyone's seat (at least in BP) which was a nice touch, and again gave me some great tips for Auckland restaurants and some wine tasting in my (again short) stopover in Auckland before flying to Fiji the next day.

I had another great experience with an IFC last year, although I wasn't flying - my wife was flying LHR - LAX - NAN on her own late last year, and she's a very nervous flyer. She was particularily worried about finding the way from T2 to TBIT for her onward connection on Air Pacific (I know, its easy to us seasoned fliers). I was with her in the Gold lounge in London (travelling to AMS on BMI), we met the concierge who promised to take good care of her and point her in the right direction once in LA. This really made a difference to Neelam, and its wonderful that AirNZ can do this. She told me afterwards that the concierge and the FSM came to see her onboard before departure to make sure she was ok, the IFC checked on her a few times during the flight, and waited for her outside the terminal in LA to show her the way to TBIT. Fantastic.

Cheers, Zac