Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Changes to Airpoints Benefits July/August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Airpoints Benefits July/August 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Well I mean, as far as I can see, Air NZ doesn't think kids are the problem... considering they made it easier for them to get in.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Does anyone know whether or not Elites who are on parental leave will still be able to use Elite APD upgrades? It says no new recognition vouchers will be issued during parental leave, but doesn't say anything about using APDUs...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:11 am

I would assume that all of your Elite benefits will be stripped including APD upgrades.
Beano likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:04 pm

While the credit card customers get screwed, I'm happy as a G* and getting about 10 of those Koru vouchers a year with business spend via Kiwibank, I will no longer see them expire. Down to 4 a year now....
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:23 pm

I read it and missed that... Do our Koru vouchers no longer expire? If so that actually makes then kind of useful. I can keep them for when I am no longer a ff
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I would assume that all of your Elite benefits will be stripped including APD upgrades.
It looks a bit complex, but as I read it you still get lounge access, seat select etc for your status-hold year. You don't get new RU's but it looks like you get to keep and use existing ones.
I think it is a good idea and quite generous the way they have done it.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-hold-parental

Last edited by edmm; Jul 1, 2019 at 2:34 pm Reason: Link added.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
This is great news. Not even so much the changes (which are all positive mind you) but the tone and the fact that they are showing they value their elite members and are listening to feedback

Such a breath of fresh air compared to the way they treated HVC under the previous regime....
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I wrote to Jeremy OBrien yesterday and expressed my thanks. Not only for the changes, which I believe are all positive for me, but also for listening and then acting. There is nothing more frustrating than being asked for feedback and then nothing changes.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:44 pm

While its great that Air NZ seems to have been listening to requests Im surprised at the Parental provision being so generous - I would have thought that while its a good idea to allow that membership be put on hold that is exactly what it should be - on hold and inactive - then when resumes the timers in terms of both expiry and earn requirements would restart exactly at the point they stopping and essentially just be frame shifted.

The negative effect of the new policy is that it potentially can increase lounge congestion by allowing a number of people access for a longer period of time for which they may otherwise have been ineligible. And with the 3 complimentary children to age 17 access also factored in lounges are likely to become more congested.

It is also a bit unfair in that it allows members who have children to essentially get double the RUs for one qualification year - those for the year they put on hold and a new allocation when they come off hold - not great for non parents unless NZ had plans to increase RU availability to compensate.

Im also amazed that I havent noticed a restriction as to how often a member can apply for this benefit - it reads that on lifting the suspension a new year starts - so if a member has a baby, applies for suspension then reactivates at the end of the twelve months, they only have to earn 810SP (and t&c dont specify from flying Air New Zealand) if they are by month 11 of requalification year expecting again within 6 months (by month 17) they can apply again for another suspension to remain Elite even though they didnt earn anywhere near enough SP in the year back - and then get a further 12 months at suspended Elite before another year for requalification? Thus potentially 46 months at Elite for potentially qualifying once and never actually requalifying - e.g. 01/01/20 qualify Elite - 01/12/20 apply hold - 01/12/21 hold finishes - 01/11/22 only earned 810sp but reapply as having baby by apr23, - 01/11/23 hold finishes and elite until 01/11/24. If having another baby could repeat cycle hit note NZ approves at their discretion.

While its good to see Air NZ recognising long term loyalty and customer feedback perhaps they should restrict the Parental Provision to members who have held Elite for 5 years and/or restricted to one application per member,

Also should they have a similar provision for members who are made redundant or change jobs as they may also have a period when they fly less for similar but different reasons.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox
While it’s great that Air NZ seems to have been listening to requests I’m surprised at the Parental provision being so generous - I would have thought that while its a good idea to allow that membership be put on hold that is exactly what it should be - on hold and inactive - then when resumes the timers in terms of both expiry and earn requirements would restart exactly at the point they stopping and essentially just be frame shifted.

The negative effect of the new policy is that it potentially can increase lounge congestion by allowing a number of people access for a longer period of time for which they may otherwise have been ineligible. And with the 3 complimentary children to age 17 access also factored in lounges are likely to become more congested.

It is also a bit unfair in that it allows members who have children to essentially get double the RUs for one qualification year - those for the year they put on hold and a new allocation when they come off hold - not great for non parents unless NZ had plans to increase RU availability to compensate.

Im also amazed that I haven’t noticed a restriction as to how often a member can apply for this benefit - it reads that on lifting the suspension a new year starts - so if a member has a baby, applies for suspension then reactivates at the end of the twelve months, they only have to earn 810SP (and t&c don’t specify from flying Air New Zealand) if they are by month 11 of requalification year expecting again within 6 months (by month 17) they can apply again for another suspension to remain Elite even though they didn’t earn anywhere near enough SP in the year back - and then get a further 12 months at suspended Elite before another year for requalification? Thus potentially 46 months at Elite for potentially qualifying once and never actually requalifying - e.g. 01/01/20 qualify Elite - 01/12/20 apply hold - 01/12/21 hold finishes - 01/11/22 only earned 810sp but reapply as having baby by apr23, - 01/11/23 hold finishes and elite until 01/11/24. If having another baby could repeat cycle hit note NZ approves at their discretion.

While it’s good to see Air NZ recognising long term loyalty and customer feedback perhaps they should restrict the Parental Provision to members who have held Elite for 5 years and/or restricted to one application per member,

Also should they have a similar provision for members who are made redundant or change jobs as they may also have a period when they fly less for similar but different reasons.

I don't think people will strategically plan kids around their status renewal dates. As it would be far cheaper to just book a couple of BP flight to NA or something than have another kid, which will suck down money.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I don't think people will strategically plan kids around their status renewal dates. As it would be far cheaper to just book a couple of BP flight to NA or something than have another kid, which will suck down money for 18 years.
You must be dreaming if you think they only cost you money for 18 years 😁. They just get older and keep sucking up money.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
I don't think people will strategically plan kids around their status renewal dates. As it would be far cheaper to just book a couple of BP flight to NA or something than have another kid, which will suck down money.
Haha wasnt suggesting they would but traditionally if having multiple children they are often not widely spaced and people can take unfair advantage if the situation applies!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:28 pm

Very few members are elite. This is a really narrow benefit, I doubt the lounge situation will be much effected. Is it fair that because I don't have kids I can't artificially extend my lounge access? Ehhh. Tbh I don't really care if someone else is getting an ADDITIONAL benefit that I'm not getting. That's like me being bitter that my short haul upgrades are near useless because only Auckland gets wide body planes to Australia. Yeah I wish I could use mine but I'm not upset that others get the chance and I don't.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Short haul RUs aren't totally wasted out of other cities though. Getting a free Works Deluxe upgrade is still better than nothing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:48 pm

Yeah no it is good that I can use it in that way at least and I had no idea about if it weren't for this forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.