Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Koru access rules coming next week [July 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

“Overcrowding in Air New Zealand's premium lounges is forcing the airline to make it harder to get into them.
It's understood the airline will announce new rules early next week to ensure its most frequent flyers get a better deal at the same time as it's about to get harder for those who earn points on some credit cards to access them.“

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12244829
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Already being discussed in existing threads.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
A dedicated thread makes sense for such a big change.
Ellice, West45 and Erasmus III like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:38 pm

Is there anyway to read the whole article without subscribing to the Herald? It appears to be behind a paywall for me.
Beano and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
The nzh article says the credit card spend is going up in July that is required to earn lounge passes and the number being capped to four a year for some credit cards. Be interesting to see whether that is in fact the problem or whether it’s the amount of elites/the generous guesting rules/families with kids rules etc that is creating the overcrowding.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Air NZ surely know the numbers. I am surprised though. I wouldn't have thought credit card vouchers would be rhat many people in the lounges. The spend is quite a lot, and I would have thought that those of us that get lots of them from our business spend are usually also traveling for business already and have status anyway. Last I knew I had 30+ vouchers that will literally never get used. Most people would get 2 a year, max.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I am surprised with the removal of VA flights and elites things still have not gotten better.
ps107 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold
The article says:

"It's understood the airline will announce new rules early next week to ensure its most frequent flyers get a better deal at the same time as it's about to get harder for those who earn points on some credit cards to access them."

To me this hints at a decrease in status point earn rates on credit cards. But we'll know soon enough.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by stick1
The article says:

"It's understood the airline will announce new rules early next week to ensure its most frequent flyers get a better deal at the same time as it's about to get harder for those who earn points on some credit cards to access them."

To me this hints at a decrease in status point earn rates on credit cards. But we'll know soon enough.
I would doubt it as their website already mentions spend to get a voucher using ANZ card increasing from 10jul and maximum 4 vouchers/y. I have not seen a mention of SP changes.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Can a mod change the title to switch "next week" with "July 2019”?

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:54 pm

Looking at
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-direct-earn-credit-card-comparison-table

For the AirNZ//Kiwibank they are also switching to Visa. From 1 July

https://www.kiwibank.co.nz/personal-banking/credit-cards/managing-your-card/moving-visa/

So yay a bunch of payments to change over
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I just received an email from NZ saying we get bonus SPs per 10 journeys. Good outcome.

Elite guests reduced to 3.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Markhm
I just received an email from NZ saying we get bonus SPs per 10 journeys. Good outcome.

Elite guests reduced to 3.
Can you include the full email while we wait for them to send the email to everyone?

Is there anymore on the bonus? Like how much and how they define journey? Can we game the system, with returns aren't married, by booking a bunch of one ways e.g. domestically
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Credit card SP earn was never going to be affected. It will be affected if and when interchange rates are cut in NZ (report was due before the just election but delayed and Labour don't seem interested in the issue).

We should have interchange rates and rules similar to Australia to stop consumers being ripped off.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Can you include the full email while we wait for them to send the email to everyone?

Is there anymore on the bonus? Like how much and how they define journey? Can we game the system, with returns aren't married, by booking a bunch of one ways e.g. domestically
sorry I can’t post emails out of our secure outlook Ap.

30 SPs bonus per 10 journeys, seems like they are flights. As many times, uncapped bonus

parent hold ability for new parents to maintain status frozen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.