Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Changes to Airpoints Benefits July/August 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E

Kia ora mmonster
As a highly valued Elite member, wed like to let you know about some changes to your Frequent Flyer benefits we are introducing as a result of member feedback.
This is the first of a series of updates to keep you informed about upcoming benefit changes.
From
1 August 2019 we're starting with:
  • Frequent Flyer Status Boost
    To recognise and thank members for choosing to fly with us often, were introducing a Frequent Flyer Status Boost which will see you earn an additional 30 bonus Status Points for every 10 eligible journeys you take with Air New Zealand.
  • Status Hold - Parental for Elite tier
    We understand that when you become a new parent, your circumstances may change and you might travel less. Elite members will now be able to apply to put their membership on hold for 12 months and take some time out while maintaining their current tier status.
  • Changes to child guest access
    Were raising the age children who can join you in our lounges from 11 to 17 years inclusive, and you are welcome to bring up to three children with you in addition to your guest allowance. Infants up to two years old inclusive are always welcome.
  • Changes to lounge guest access
    Members have told us that improving the lounge experience, and making it an even more comfortable space, is a priority. In response to this, were limiting the number of lounge eVouchers credit card holders can earn. Were also reducing the number of guests Elite members can bring into the lounges from five to three.
  • In addition, these eVouchers will now be capped at two pairs per year.
Were always looking for ways to improve your travel experience, so Ill be in touch again to keep you updated on our progress and share news of further changes.
Jeremy O'Brien

Regional GM Loyalty & Customer Direct

j.o'[email protected]?subject=Elite%...e%20Res ponse

Airpoints Member since xxxx
* Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, balance transfers, the purchase of cash substitutes (such as foreign currency, travellers' cheques) and gambling chips or business related expenditure.
Unsubscribe or Update preferences

Terms & conditions

Contact us

Privacy centre

Copyright 2019 Air New Zealand Limited.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:49 pm

Yay - no 2-10 year olds!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:53 pm

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post31256346 for more discussion
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Those seem like *actual enhancements* don't they... or do we think they'll rapidly be accompanied by increases to status qualification levels?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:22 pm

Doubt it.
QF has lower status qual thresholds and earn is easier.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
That's a good point, I don't really see Air NZ making it harder to earn if they want to remain competitive. If QF raised their threshold, then that would be another story.

All of these changes are helpful changes to me so obviously I like them. The three guest thing is probably not going to be a problem for me ever.

The 30 status point boost is a really nice answer for domestic flyers.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Erasmus III
Yay - no 2-10 year olds!
Unfortunately I don't think it is the case, it's just a badly written email. I think what they mean is that the maximum age of a "child" has gone up from 11 to 17. This is seen on their website:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/lounges
It's a very stupid move, I thought that the whole point was to decrease lounge overcrowding, whereas this just makes it worse.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Ive just received the notification to Golds. Interestingly, Gold only gets a 15 status credit bonus for 10 flights. Re kids, I read it as saying the age for kids is increasing from 12 to 17, and I can bring three without treating them as guests.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
No email here. Positive changes overall but as others have said Im unsure how increasing the age for the definition of children is going to reduce lounge congestion - but happy to see what else comes out. Happy to have Elite guesting taken down to 3 and the FF Status Boost is a nice addition and good to see Air NZ took away a benefit but gave another back. Would also love to get valet vouchers instead of lounge vouchers.

I see this is aligning more with QF (ie Loyalty Bonus, Status Hold, 2x Guests for Plat). Itll be interesting to see if future changes affect upgrades or add/remove any other published/unpublished benefits.

EDIT: received my email after posting this...

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Jun 30, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
For those who want benefits such as parking vouchers you should really be passing this feedback onto your banks. Benefits are offered in conjunction with Air NZ and Westpac for example offer these.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Presumably they have done the numbers and the lounges are crowded due to cc vouchers and elite guests and children?

That doesnt reflect my experience.

But im not privy to the numbers

I dont think this will change a thing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bce1
Presumably they have done the numbers and the lounges are crowded due to cc vouchers and elite guests and children?

Elite change doesn't reflect what I was told just year by a good source eithe. The % taking that many people is low but not something I would post publically.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
30 bonus SP on 10 sectors for elites

That a 37% increase in SP on a standard 8 SP earn....just like the good old days !
​​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Beano
That a 37% increase in SP on a standard 8 SP earn....just like the good old days !
​​​​​​
Finally some good news for regional travellers... been a long (and expensive) wait!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by bce1

Me neither, there's no way kids are the cause of overcrowding. I was in AKL and WEL dom and int lounges like 20 times over the last few weeks, there's hardly any, especially during peak red-eye hours,

Even during school holidays I don't see them as a big problem, its simply the general people volume is too large for the small spaces. There's got to be a ton more business travelers guesting in colleagues then there are families bringing in extra kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.