Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: EB FB BA Emirates
An absolute zero for three years+.

Never succeeded in getting an miles-upgrade either, no matter what I have tried to get to use some of my accumulating miles.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: FB Ivory,Velocity Red, Qantas Bronze
Back when I was a plat, I got upgraded fairly frequently on the European sectors. Never thought to keep any stats on it back then, but at a guess I'd say it would be around 25% of the flights.

One quite memorable upgrade was for a weekend trip from my then home city of Oslo to Amsterdam with a friend. We were travelling on the same booking.

When we were boarding, my boarding pass was scanned but the machine refused to accept it. I stepped aside to let other pax pass, and my friend followed me, a bit worried that perhaps something was wrong and we would not be allowed onto the flight after all.
The gate agent informed us that I had been upgraded to business class for the flight and handed me a new boarding pass.

I then informed her that I wouldn't mind passing the upgrade on to someone else as I was travelling with my friend here. The gate agent smiled, pushed some buttons, and upgraded my friend as well.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:41 am

I had a not so cheerful experience CDG - VIE last April. I'm a platinum and the boarding machine beeped to upgrade me to business despite the cheap eco ticket. This is the first time i have ever been upgraded on AF after having done maybe 100 flights (KLM has op-upped me twice on a 20 flight sample). My wife was booked on the same reservation but did not get the same beep. I pointed out my diliemma to the gate personnel and was told I could either sit apart from my wife or give my C seat away.

Knowing already how little extra comfort one gets in AF European business class, I opted to keep my marriage happy...

Last edited by neilbo; Jun 12, 2009 at 9:48 am
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by neilbo
Knowing already how little extra comfort one gets in AF European business class, I opted to keep my marriage happy...
... and if it had been on an AF long-haul (very long)?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Henry III
... and if it had been on an AF long-haul (very long)?
... all long hauls end on the ground sooner or later - so I would have had to do the same thing!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Just back from Hong Kong : The flight out was half full and a really helpful member of staff in the AF lounge at CDG managed to get me a seat free next to me in C. He could not actually block it ; but just waited until after the flight had closed. On the way back I saw the station manager at the gate and asked if the same could be done: He explained that the flight was full and they were upgrading from Y to C and C to F. being Platinum for 9 years I asked if he could see if i was one of the lucky C to Fs. Nope. I asked why and he was very helpful and explained that very recently they had been instructed by AF to upgrade on a fare value basis only and that elite status was no longer relevant . He told me he was not happy about it and he said he would probably fly with some one else if it was him!
Have just done another Hong Kong with AF: Full flight on way back no one booked in F so upgraded 4 C Class passengers to F (777 200): not me Z class Plat: did not bother asking.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Upgraded myself to Temp Chal as the guy who had taken my seat had a TC ticket.He obviously thought he was doing me a favour(haha),but telling the AF FA about my new seating arrangements was frankly more trouble than it was worth but it was a full flight so had no choice(apart from eject a pax out of my seat) .TC...or whatever they call it now, is such an utter waste of time.Anyway thats an upgrade,albeit more of the DIY variety.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I was once the recipient of an OpUp on KL on a packed Christmas day flight. Both I (on a dirt cheap ticket), and a family member traveling with me (economy award ticket) got a bump up to business due to my platinum elite status with NW.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, Finnair Plus, SPG
Once on HEL-AMS with KL when I was Silver Elite.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:24 am

Twice in about 20 years of flying.

AMS-ARN (sting in the tail, my hold baggage got delayed at AMS) and GLA-AMS (ES on a Fokker 100 - luxury ).
Old Jun 25, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cool Upgraded???

Only once on a short-haul from AMS to FRA, some years ago.

Though maybe it's going to happen soon..
I booked a dirty cheap economy flight (L-class) from AMS to CDG on airfrance.com. The flights are operated by KLM.

In my itinerary - under my reservations - on the KLM website it shows up as business class (for both AMS-CDG and CDG-AMS).

Does this mean that I have been upgraded in advance or is it a flaw in the system?

PS I have been plat for 3 yrs..
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Have just done another Hong Kong with AF: Full flight on way back no one booked in F so upgraded 4 C Class passengers to F (777 200): not me Z class Plat: did not bother asking.
Due to financial constaints I have been flying cheapest economy UK-China for past 6 months and have a pretty decent upgrade track record (about 25%). However, on my last flight (which was overbooked in Y) I got chatting to the check-in agent at MAN about likelyhood of an upgrade on my CDG-PEK leg

He showed me the upgrade list - I was on about page 3! He said it was "probably due to the fact I had bought a very cheap ticket" (which I had). My previous upgrades in 2009 had all been on cheapo tickets so it may be that there has been a recent change in the upgrade criteria (particulalry since there are more around given J loads). FWIW he said the two people top of the upgrade lists were both Club 2000 members

I'm on an overbooked CDG-HKG next week so let's see

nickyboy
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
On Friday, after changing my itinerary - booked in L on CDG-OTP in 04D, and my boarding pass had Premium Voyager printed on it - at the boarding they ripped it up and gave me another one with 02C in C - however miles credited were only 25% for the L class.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by nickyboy
Due to financial constaints I have been flying cheapest economy UK-China for past 6 months and have a pretty decent upgrade track record (about 25%). However, on my last flight (which was overbooked in Y) I got chatting to the check-in agent at MAN about likelyhood of an upgrade on my CDG-PEK leg

He showed me the upgrade list - I was on about page 3! He said it was "probably due to the fact I had bought a very cheap ticket" (which I had). My previous upgrades in 2009 had all been on cheapo tickets so it may be that there has been a recent change in the upgrade criteria (particulalry since there are more around given J loads). FWIW he said the two people top of the upgrade lists were both Club 2000 members

I'm on an overbooked CDG-HKG next week so let's see

nickyboy
Well, I was upgraded to J, despite being on an L type economy ticket

That's 3/7 long haul this year, all of which have been cheapo economy tickets so maybe I'm just lucky!

nickyboy
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat, Hilton Diamond
Did you ask for the upgrade, did you put yourself on standby for upgrade or did they just surprise you (out of the blue)?

Last edited by DirkAmsterdam; Jun 30, 2009 at 3:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.