Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
To ask...or not to ask

I have been upgraded a few times on European flights and 3 times TATL.

My question is....does it do any good to ask or is the decision so automated now that you risk an upset gate agent?

Also, does checking in online and in advance effect the upgrade results? (perhaps if you check in 30 hours ahead into Y, they just leave you there?)
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Speaking of upgrades, do FB elites still get domestic US upgrades on DL/NW?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:10 am

Location: Previously Leeds, England - now Chicago USA (KLM/AF - Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by azpyre
Speaking of upgrades, do FB elites still get domestic US upgrades on DL/NW?
As I understand it (from posts here a month or two ago), that perk has now gone. I've not flown connected with internal NWA flights since August so am not speaking from personal experience, but I believe the perk disappeared sometime in October or early November.

KG
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
I remember those wonderful Royal Wing years, where as RW you received the Business Class seats (row 9.10.11.12) on the 747 with economy service in 90% of all instances.

(oops at that time we earned 300% points on any biz fare : nostalgie)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by ben20
I remember those wonderful Royal Wing years, where as RW you received the Business Class seats (row 9.10.11.12) on the 747 with economy service in 90% of all instances.

(oops at that time we earned 300% points on any biz fare : nostalgie)
IIRC Business was always 200%?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:49 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
IIRC Business was always 200%?
In the (good) old days in the Flying dutchman-program (where we earned points and not miles) business class earned triple points. Later in the FD-program this was changed.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
39 KL/AF flights so far this year, 0 upgrades
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Iberia, Royal Orchid
Never been upgraded on AF/KL

Even though I am a platinum member and usually travel on undiscounted tickets.
Not even to Premium Voyageur on CDG-JFK.

Once on Delta, but as others have said, not any more....
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: FB Gold, CO Gold, MX Discover, AM PPlat, FiestaRewards Gold
Originally Posted by JOCA
Even though I am a platinum member and usually travel on undiscounted tickets.
Not even to Premium Voyageur on CDG-JFK.

Once on Delta, but as others have said, not any more....
2 years, 250K miles, plat/gold: NEVER NEVER NEVER

I'm really tired with AF, now that I'm back home, Continental, AM and MX are MUCH better options and they do care for my biz. And perks are much higher.

Other than this: lounges are crappy (biz lounge in CDG 2E looks more like a flea market in rush hour, WIFi never works in GVA), service has become distasteful, no food on short-mid flights... and the most expensive tickets in ANY route.

The only 'perk' I got from them is that I booked a F ticket with my miles BEFORE the program changed, (75K for one way CDG-MEX).

If I have to go back to Europe to live, I rather choose BA or LH. No more AF.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: flying blue
Got upgraded YYZ-CDG about 3 times on AF
My GF got upgraded to business as I was flying business on KLM (LEN-AMS + AMS-GVA + GVA-AMS and AMS YYZ). just talked to staff at gate or in plane... around Xmas / new year.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: Lufthansa Silver, Qatar Silver,FA Alitalia, British Airways gold
NEVER!
in 2008 it happened that continental or Delta, on domestic US flight upgraded me! This year I asked on a Delta flight (JFK-ORD on 8th dec) an upgrade bur I was told that they do not upgrade any KLM/AF card holder!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Good start for the new year!

Today I was on CDG-AMS-BHX [booked in M] and the first flight seemed overbooked, so while boarding, machine beeped - and was given ES seat and meal.

On the second leg - half empty plane and not a single passenger in ES [on the previous one all C class seats were taken] - purser told me later that on the return leg BHX-AMS they had only 15 pax booked :O

So, percentage - in 2010: 50%
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:21 am

no luck for me today (yet). in crown lounge now waiting for AMS-PVG.
24 other platinum elites in economy on this overbooked flight.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Amex
Originally Posted by sniles
no luck for me today (yet). in crown lounge now waiting for AMS-PVG.
24 other platinum elites in economy on this overbooked flight.
Funny enough I have a FB Silver and I have never been upgraded but on Dec 23rd I did a LHR-AMS-PVG and got upgraded from Eco to Business for the AMS-PVG section. I was told they overbooked and I personally believe that this also happened when they had a huge backlog of clients at Amsterdam due to bad weather conditions on previious days, most of them were chinese and occasional travellers, no FB members...

Also it was very interesting to see that KLM used a modified 747 on the AMS-PVG, the usual business seats on the front of the plane had been allocated to Economy meaning that if you were fast enough to check in you could have access to business seats and business space for an economy price but no business service (meals, etc..). Upstairs was still the classic business section. I actually ended up on the business seats for an eco price, I was thrilled and then some staff came up and told me that he had a better seat for me (I was wondering which one at this point, copilot seat maybe ? ;-)) then I got upgraded to full business. Nice surprise.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by antmavel
and then some staff came up and told me that he had a better seat for me (I was wondering which one at this point, copilot seat maybe ? ;-)) then I got upgraded to full business. Nice surprise.
Do you mean the actual upgrade (to the 'real' J section) happened not at the machine but once you were already on board? Was that a cabin crew who came to speak to you? I'd say that over the years 80% of my (rarefying) upgrades have been at the gate (the famous 'beeeeeep!') and the other 20% in advance at check in (whether online or at the counter or I would get the error message on line and get it at the counter) but so far never once I boarded, so I am interested to hear more about your experience if it was the case this time ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.