Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by simonsmith
I asked why and he was very helpful and explained that very recently they had been instructed by AF to upgrade on a fare value basis only and that elite status was no longer relevant . He told me he was not happy about it and he said he would probably fly with some one else if it was him!
I had this confirmation recently from AF check in at BOG..previously they had the ability to override whatever the system said based on actual availability...my own experience of flying from BOG to CDG is that an upgrade is possible if Y is fully booked and there are no friends and family of AF staff traveling.
Old May 17, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: FB PFL
Smile

got upgraded again last night for the cdg jnb leg! it makes a 50% success rate on this trip... AF checkin told me that checking in on line early helps for the upgrades on full flights, it puts you closer to the top of the list... also, he said AF doing lots of upgrades right now as they are having a hard time selling their biz class on long hauls..

next trip in a couple of weeks... let's see what happens then.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by africanfrog
AF checkin told me that checking in on line early helps for the upgrades on full flights, it puts you closer to the top of the list.
And the logic is?

Johan
Old May 17, 2009, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Johan, Johan, you know better than to apply normal logic to AF!
Old May 17, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by africanfrog
got upgraded again last night for the cdg jnb leg! it makes a 50% success rate on this trip... AF checkin told me that checking in on line early helps for the upgrades on full flights, it puts you closer to the top of the list... also, he said AF doing lots of upgrades right now as they are having a hard time selling their biz class on long hauls..

next trip in a couple of weeks... let's see what happens then.
Were you on a Y full fare or expensive one?
A bit silly of AF to refuse discounting their C and F, as other airlines are doing, and then simply upgrading people. They were happy to keep raising fares when the economy was booming.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: FB PFL
nope, was on a very cheap L fare ( jnb-jfk-cdg-jnb for just about 1000USD)...and in both cases pre checked but went to the counter one hour before flight time to pickup boarding pass.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Once this year, on a CDH-BHX [operated by CityJet] due to the fact the gentleman booked in a seat next to me had an injured leg and was therefore needing some extra space.
As this upgrade was on board - no extra miles, but did get full C service [food].
Old May 18, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by jms_uk
As this upgrade was on board - no extra miles, but did get full C service [food].
Don't understand: does one ever get extra miles for an op-up? FB T&Cs say that miles are awarded according to the fare and flight booked, irrespective of any operational or technical change!

--H
Old May 18, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Henry III
Don't understand: does one ever get extra miles for an op-up? FB T&Cs say that miles are awarded according to the fare and flight booked, irrespective of any operational or technical change!

--H
Sorry, that was based on my experience with a different FFQ program. And also, it was few years ago...
Old May 18, 2009, 6:59 am

It would be nice though! Then there would be a real reward for op-ups to euro-select on KLM (other than veal tartare for veggies and/or hung-over folks).
Old May 18, 2009, 6:50 pm

--H
I got an op-up in March on a long haul segment and received the J class mileage.I got an op-up in April on the same class ticket and on the same route as March, but got the mileage according to the fare type.
I was in Y on fare class L
Old May 19, 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by kaminski
I got an op-up in March on a long haul segment and received the J class mileage
Ssshhhhh!
Old May 19, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It depends if the ticket is reissued or not, and in which class it is reissued. In case it is reissued, you usually get the miles of the reissued booking class. In case it is just the seat that changes, but keep the same ticket, you get the original miles. Once, I had my V class HKG AMS flight cancelled. Rerouted via CDG but I would miss my KL flight on a separate V class ticket from AMS. The HKG agent reissued by KL ticket and changed AMS CPH into CDG CPH. Booked in Y class, I got Y 200% miles. The HKG CDG was full and I got an op up to J, but as the reissued ticket was in AF N class, I got 25% miles.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:16 pm

Ssshhhhh!
yes! Sssssshhhhhhh

That makes sense Ranskis

Last edited by kaminski; May 19, 2009 at 1:25 pm Reason: omitted one line
Old May 21, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: KLM Elite, Star Alliance Gold
I have only been upgraded 2 or 3 times in 10 years (best one was on KLM between Jo'burg and AMS).....but wait there.

Last year my daughter went to Tanzania for 4 weeks and managed to convince me to give her some of my miles if she paid for all the costs. She was routed LHR - Nairobi - Dar El Salam -Nairobi - LHR. This was at a time of insurection in Nairobi and her Mum being worried, i contacted the FB help desk asking for help. They were ready to help immediately and changed her free airmile tickets for return Dar El Salam - AMS - NCL

Guess what....She arrived at check-in in flip-flops and in need of a good shower to be told that she had been upgraded to Biz on the flight to AMS !!! there is no justice !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.