Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Effect

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Platinum recognition is almost non existent. I do not travel in less than J on long haul but on AF I have been always lucky to drink champagne from P whilst other pax around me were refused. KL WBC most of the times first meal order taken. European hopping in Y, after covid, nothing. During covid lovely chats with KLC crew on empty flights. What I value the most is incredible Czech service center that recognises the plat status very well.

What bothers me the most with the statuses is that now everybody has one - lounges, at least AMS are heavily overcrowded.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Slc2012
On AF flight to US, I have done my first Long Haul flight after the COVID period (I hope) two weeks ago. As Platinum member, I received no recognition: no special salutations, no glass of wine from J. I was considering as a “standard” passenger.
Before, in the past before the COVID period, AF personnel came to ask if the flight was going well. Not anymore for me.
Since April, two long haul flights (AF-JFK / KL-JNB). I received no recognition - same as above a Ť standard ť passenger. On my flight to jNB, my luggage was not loaded on board. KL crew was not able to inform me during the flight. I received the message when I turned on my phone.
Platinum is only nice for the dedicated line. For the rest, no big difference as Gold member.
Hafnia likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747jetter
What bothers me the most with the statuses is that now everybody has one - lounges, at least AMS are heavily overcrowded.
You can say that again. Privium has been a blessing, and worth every penny.

I have any number of colleagues in the perennial Silver category who made Gold thanks to the pandemic XP bonuses and are now helping to pack the lounges.

Johan
b12e likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I had something weird flying back in J from Bogota end May to Paris - have now some 3-4 years plat status in part thanks to COVID. Handwritten card with a word of welcome of the J purser thanking me for my loyalty! Got this flashback to Up in the Air where George Cloony starred as this lonely consultant for whom the plane was home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_in_...orge%20Clooney).
Arpoador likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: FB Plat
I've had a few times the crew approach me by my name and ask me if everything is ok with the flight and to ask them for anything I might need. It has happened very rarely in short intra EU flights, but a lot more consistently in long haul -- I guess because they have more time to go through their ipad to identify status and the time to then approach them.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
On my last short haul AF flight the purser came to welcome every Plat pax and ask if there was anything that we'd need (2-3 pax). Nothing substantial but a nice gesture. Was already in C so no need to ask for Champagne specifically
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
had it happen only once on a EU flight. been plat for a short while, but I took some 30 flights since.
not that it matters much to me, the good thing of plat is the skypriority stuff and the secret hope to reach life status.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
I've had a few times the crew approach me by my name and ask me if everything is ok with the flight and to ask them for anything I might need. It has happened very rarely in short intra EU flights, but a lot more consistently in long haul -- I guess because they have more time to go through their ipad to identify status and the time to then approach them.
Same for me,
On longhauls I am always approached by the purser (chef de cabine ?) before or right after take off for a quick talk and to ask if there is something I need.
Once I was offered bread and cheese from J after my Y meal, I really appreciated that.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
It used to happen sometimes, but recently (since summer) it really has been every time and somewhat more sincere/natural in the past. This morning it even happened on a Paris-Amsterdam.... (just a polite enquiry from the purser if Mr Fr needed any extra assistance with his luggage as sitting in the exit row)... nothing OTT to make it awkward, but enough to make me feel appreciated...
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Sorry if too much off-topic, but did not want to start a new thread. I friend of mine who is Platinum booked me an award flight on AFKL. When I go to check out my reservation, I see the same benefits that he would receive. For sure this is not the "Platinum Effect"? Should I go on and select seats etc. or just wait for the benefits to disappear at some point or to stick? I do have equivalent status through ITA, so not that much of a difference, but using ITA is such a pain sometimes, so this scenario would be easier.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Yes, award tickets booked by status holders maintain these benefits even if booked for a third party.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Cool! You learn something new all the time, it seems.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Long-haul TATL today (11+ hours) and the "Plat Effect" was in full force - the CCP came by three times to welcome/thank me, as well as bringing Champagne from Business (I was flying PE). The PNC responsible for the PE cab also welcomed/thanked me.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
the CCP came by three times to welcome/thank me.
That's a bit over the top. I figure once should be plenty enough. Even that may be one time too many. Opinions no doubt differ, but I can do without these welcome shows, especially the perfunctory tablet-in-hand variety. I don't think that anybody at KLM genuinely values my custom, I'm just one of very many (lifetime) PEs out there. If they truly care about our loyalty, they could start by improving their inflight J product, especially the atrocious catering.

Johan
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I see it differently. The recognition costs nothing and, when done properly, is highly valued. You feel like a person, not a number.
tff, miles4CDG, eglise and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.