Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Thank you irishguy28, you've set my mind at rest.

It's looking likely to be Singapore in F so I'm hoping to accrue enough level miles to guarantee platinum for a further year (2019) and have (a minimum of) just over 100XP carry over into 2020.Actually current travel plans for this year might even (when added to last year) take me over the ulti threshold but we'll see.
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by rosensfole; Jan 11, 2018 at 3:29 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Question about award miles as reported in the KL site.
Unsure if it has been covered already.

I'm looking at the KL website now trying to understand how exactly award miles are computed - i.e., what gets considered when computing them.
As long as I select a short-haul, European flight after the beginning date of the new program, the calculation I see on the KL site makes sense.

Example: MIL-AMS, rt, Z3LSIT AF fare, ticket price is 444 EUR, award miles as computed in the website is 1778 (~ 444 * 4, I guess it's not considering I'm platinum when I log in, so it should be 444 * 8 = 3552).

Now consider the following:

MIL-JFK via AMS, rt, ZL1SFIT KL fare
Total ticket cost (including taxes): 1722.98 EUR
Ticket price: 1180.00 EUR
Surcharge: 441.00 EUR
Award miles reported in the website: 7260

What is this 7260 number?
For what I understood, it should be (1180 + 441) * 4, that is, 6484.
It's not computed using the total ticket cost => should be 1723 * 4 = 6892
It's not computed using the old award mile schema => should be 6464 * 2, using the FB calculator

Is it just a bug in the KL website, or am I missing something?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Andy82
Is it just a bug in the KL website, or am I missing something?
Yes.

Use the FB calculator. Ignore any information given by either AF or KL on their websites or booking tools regarding mileage earning, as they are incorrect more often that not.

You should only take the FB calculator as a rough guide, too.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes.

Use the FB calculator. Ignore any information given by either AF or KL on their websites or booking tools regarding mileage earning, as they are incorrect more often that not.

You should only take the FB calculator as a rough guide, too.
Gotcha. The FB Calculator is obviously relatively useless with the new program, since it just says 4 / 6 / 7 / 8 miles per euro spent *
with * Based on ticket price including base fare and carrier imposed surcharge but excluding governement-imposed taxes and fees. Ticket purchased in another currency than € will be converted into € using an industry standard rate.

I investigated a little more and it really seems a bug with some Z fares. With I/D fares, for example, the calculation sums up correctly.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Hello,

I haven't used my AF status for a while (was on OZ and *A) and am based in the US. I realized I have 50K miles (not sure how many are going to get converted to XP but my guess is very few as I didn't fly much on Delta).
So I start from the bottom, Ivory.

I have a few question: the 2XP for domestic, does that apply to France, or even US domestic flights?
Or are they saying, anything below 2000 miles, so JFK/SFO will qualify as a medium flight?

As regarding to the qualifications XP, I can buy a JFK/PVG/CJU with MU in business (I or J) once a year as my wife is South Korean and from Jeju.
That seems to make (36 + 15) x 2 = 102 XP, which is just Silver.

But from there, apparently, you need another 180XP to reach Gold?
So basically 90 segments, or 45 RT? Isn't that insane?
If it used to be 30 segments before, it's a x3 ratio?

I begin to feel like that's an impossible task for a guy who doesn't fly that much like me... and work only flies within North America in Eco.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
I did the search function but cannot find this correctly. Will in FB still the MARKETING carrier schema be applied?
probably some are getting those cheap fares ex WAW and those book on a 784 (CZ) ticket with CZ flight numbers.
Mine books into I-class (all segments are operated by KL but marketed CZ) which shoudl earn 100% in flying blue. I then get 22000 miles approx(platinum) and not 850*8=6800

is my understanding correct? btw; it has Always been like this and i cannot find nowhere that schema would be now the operating carrier.

if this is the case, especially and cheap tickets, you might want to book on other ticket stock with codeshare flight numbers.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Hello,

I haven't used my AF status for a while (was on OZ and *A) and am based in the US. I realized I have 50K miles (not sure how many are going to get converted to XP but my guess is very few as I didn't fly much on Delta).
So I start from the bottom, Ivory.
Probably. Only the status miles from 2018 will convert, unless you happened to have kept at least Gold (for ex. with a lot of old carryover miles and at least one yearly qualifying flight), but I suppose you'd know if that was the case.

I have a few question: the 2XP for domestic, does that apply to France, or even US domestic flights?
Or are they saying, anything below 2000 miles, so JFK/SFO will qualify as a medium flight?
Unfortunately at this time it looks like this will be the case - 2XP for any domestic even in the US, China or Russia. The only exception I know of is that it seems Tarom will be giving 4XP for it's domestic flights (but I don't know the specifics)

As regarding to the qualifications XP, I can buy a JFK/PVG/CJU with MU in business (I or J) once a year as my wife is South Korean and from Jeju.
That seems to make (36 + 15) x 2 = 102 XP, which is just Silver.

But from there, apparently, you need another 180XP to reach Gold?
So basically 90 segments, or 45 RT? Isn't that insane?
If it used to be 30 segments before, it's a x3 ratio?

I begin to feel like that's an impossible task for a guy who doesn't fly that much like me... and work only flies within North America in Eco.
Yes, this is the biggest "enhancement" in the new system. Building up status is going to be much, much slower, as the clock resets after every gain.
This is also the reason why I try so hard these days to route through CDG whenever I can - to get 15 segments before March to move to Silver from Ivory.

As long as you only want to requalify for your status, or move 1 step up, it's not that bad. When you get Silver, you have a year to gain 180XP, which is 36 international segments. In Europe it's not that different unless you fly a lot within France.
For Golds (to go up) or Platinums (to keep Plat) it's still 60 international (short) segments, so about the same.
Of course if you fly domestic in the US... it's bad. Unless FB actually does something about long domestic sectors and rule that 2XP are only for domestics under 500 miles or something in that area. Which I don't think will happen.

One advantage for segment qualifiers in this system is, that the occasional Business Class or longhaul trip now counts for more, whereas before it was still only 1 segment per flight.

Originally Posted by christravelblog
I did the search function but cannot find this correctly. Will in FB still the MARKETING carrier schema be applied?
probably some are getting those cheap fares ex WAW and those book on a 784 (CZ) ticket with CZ flight numbers.
Mine books into I-class (all segments are operated by KL but marketed CZ) which shoudl earn 100% in flying blue. I then get 22000 miles approx(platinum) and not 850*8=6800

is my understanding correct? btw; it has Always been like this and i cannot find nowhere that schema would be now the operating carrier.

if this is the case, especially and cheap tickets, you might want to book on other ticket stock with codeshare flight numbers.
Yes, still marketing carrier - and even more so now. AFKL (and other FB airlines) would have access to pricing on their own stock, which is like 99% their marketed flights. It would be much harder to get pricing data from other carriers, even for flights actually operated by AFKL.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sch7458
Hypothetical question: If one day all airlines & FFP decreased that earning ratio to 1 mile / 4 EUR spent and do whatever they want including terminating your account without any reason, does your "If you don't like it - leave." still applicable to yourself? Maybe Goldorak can also express his opinion?
There already are airlines that don't have FFPs - and they are probably the fastest growing airlines in most parts of the world! Europe's two largest airlines by passenger numbers - Ryanair (129 million pax in 2017) and Easyjet (82 million pax in 2017) - don't have any FFP at all.

I abandoned Flying Blue many years ago as a bad deal, and there is a certain amount of freedom to be enjoyed by not feeling "tied" to a certain airline or alliance. After all, is it really worthwhile booking with a certain airline or carrier just to get lounge access, when you end up paying more for that ticket than the lounge is justifiably worth? (Yeah, it's "free" with status, but what is the extra hit to your wallet from restraining yourself from booking the cheapest tickets available, regardless of airline). And it is it really worthwhile striving for status just so you can avoid checked luggage charges, when you find most of your trips are made without checked luggage in the first place?

And let's not talk about the "free tickets" you can claim. You've already more than paid for those tickets by tying your hands to a certain airline and therefore preventing yourself from realising savings on every ticket you purchased while amassing all those miles. I'd much prefer have €10, €20, or €30 extra in my wallet as a result of buying a cheaper ticket on a different airline, than spend more than I needed on each ticket for the "intangibles" of status, and the "promise" of a so-called "free ticket" at some point in the future. Cold hard cash today trumps any "perks" in the future. And hey - the "free ticket" requires a pretty substantial cash payment anyway. [Oh yes - irrops/handling - but travel with good insurance and book wisely. For example, given KL's approach to bad weather at AMS, I would always book SK or DY to Scandinavia in winter anyway, rather than risk it on KL]
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Yes, still marketing carrier - and even more so now. AFKL (and other FB airlines) would have access to pricing on their own stock, which is like 99% their marketed flights. It would be much harder to get pricing data from other carriers, even for flights actually operated by AFKL.
Ok good. Especially for longhaul it's mostly possible to book on a different marketing carrier as AFKL with still AFKL flights.
For intra-Europe maybe too but wouldn't bother that much.
Only thing is that if you book on OTA sometimes it's not 100% sure what stock you get and/or classes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:48 am

As long as you only want to requalify for your status, or move 1 step up, it's not that bad. When you get Silver, you have a year to gain 180XP, which is 36 international segments. In Europe it's not that different unless you fly a lot within France.
For Golds (to go up) or Platinums (to keep Plat) it's still 60 international (short) segments, so about the same.
Of course if you fly domestic in the US... it's bad. Unless FB actually does something about long domestic sectors and rule that 2XP are only for domestics under 500 miles or something in that area. Which I don't think will happen.

One advantage for segment qualifiers in this system is, that the occasional Business Class or longhaul trip now counts for more, whereas before it was still only 1 segment per flight..
Thanks for the reply. So US domestic is 2XP but I figured anything like JFK/LGA to YUL or YYZ in Canada would count 5XP then, which should make it more bearable.
Also, if I get Silver in April this year let's say with this flight, I have then 1 year from April to get 180XP? Or 1 year and 8 months until April 2020?

Considering I would be ok flying paid business every year to South Korea (MU is really cheap compared to any competition in that regard for a flight to CJU), I could get 102XP again next year.

So it leaves 78XP to get somehow... That's 8 round trips to Canada...
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply. So US domestic is 2XP but I figured anything like JFK/LGA to YUL or YYZ in Canada would count 5XP then, which should make it more bearable.
Also, if I get Silver in April this year let's say with this flight, I have then 1 year from April to get 180XP? Or 1 year and 8 months until April 2020?

Considering I would be ok flying paid business every year to South Korea (MU is really cheap compared to any competition in that regard for a flight to CJU), I could get 102XP again next year.

So it leaves 78XP to get somehow... That's 8 round trips to Canada...
If you make Silver in April, then you have until next April to make either 100XP to requalify or 180XP to upgrade to Gold. If you manage to get to Silver by March... then I'm not sure.
Also, a tip: ANY segment you get in Jan-Mar 2018 will convert to 7XP on April 1st.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:00 am

If you make Silver in April, then you have until next April to make either 100XP to requalify or 180XP to upgrade to Gold. If you manage to get to Silver by March... then I'm not sure.
Also, a tip: ANY segment you get in Jan-Mar 2018 will convert to 7XP on April 1st.
Yes I noted that. But I am not sure how it works because: if I don't get enough segment and let's say I get 4 segments... 28XP, and then in April, I do this flight for 102 XP. I will be at 130XP but my understanding is that the 30XP surplus is lost, right? So there is absolutely no benefit to try to do it in advance...

The requirements are tough but ok.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:05 am

Yes I noted that. But I am not sure how it works because: if I don't get enough segment and let's say I get 4 segments... 28XP, and then in April, I do this flight for 102 XP. I will be at 130XP but my understanding is that the 30XP surplus is lost, right? So there is absolutely no benefit to try to do it in advance...

The requirements are tough but ok.
Surplus is not lost. Your 30XP is carried over to your next year.
Then you need to do next 70XP to maintain Silver in a year, or, if within that year you get 150XP, you get Gold.

Small advantage again, with slow but steady saving, you can get to Gold this way. Up till now, this was only possible for Gold to Platinum, and then only for those who qualified on miles.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:03 pm

Surplus is not lost. Your 30XP is carried over to your next year.
Then you need to do next 70XP to maintain Silver in a year, or, if within that year you get 150XP, you get Gold.

Small advantage again, with slow but steady saving, you can get to Gold this way. Up till now, this was only possible for Gold to Platinum, and then only for those who qualified on miles.
Aha, you're right then, as long as I'm ready to fly paid business to Asia from NYC every year (and with my personal situation, that's perfectly viable), it might be doable to keep Gold at least...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha, you're right then, as long as I'm ready to fly paid business to Asia from NYC every year (and with my personal situation, that's perfectly viable), it might be doable to keep Gold at least...
I would advise you to consider carefully the logic of your strategy.

If you have to "invent" reasons to travel in order to maintain status - are you actually travelling enough to require status? (I know, it's great to have status - but it doesn't make much sense when you push yourself into travel patterns you wouldn't otherwise consider, just to maintain status).

Conversely - if you have the wherewithal to book paid business - why do you need status? You get the main "perks" as a result of your class of travel. And - unlike the case with status, where its effects only apply to a limited number of particular airlines, and which effects are greatest if y ou are an economy traveller - you can spend that cash on ANY airline's business class - maybe even on a much cheaper ticket on a completely different airline, regardless of alliance - and still obtain the main "perks" for each such trip.
Thino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.