Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
If you are based out of AMS or are a French resident yes
I think you mean the other way around - based out of PAR or are a Dutch resident.

FB members in France can often add a connecting flight to get them to PAR first ^

(of course, if you are Dutch you can go to ZYR or DUS or something first, too )

But then again, if you are based out of PAR, or are a Dutch resident, you can always choose a routing that brings you to the other one of the KLAF hubs, for a higher price than the direct alternative usually, though!)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm not sure that they thought through the full implications.

However, if they did - then it must surely have been intended as a middle-finger salute to US members. Or as an incentive for the rest of us not to bother flying Delta in the US. Or just not to bother with FB at all!
The problem is you can get cheap First class tickets in the US making the XP grind a bit too easy.
But yes Flying Blue is pointless is you mainly fly inside the USA. You should go for Skypesos.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I think you mean the other way around - based out of PAR or are a Dutch resident.

FB members in France can often add a connecting flight to get them to PAR first ^

(of course, if you are Dutch you can go to ZYR or DUS or something first, too )
I was meaning that the reduced domestic earnings affect all residents of France (inc PAR) more so than in other European countries.

I used AMS to include residents of neighbouring countries that use AMS as their home airport rather than Dutch residents who may find it more convenient to use somewhere like BRU. AMS locals now need 18 Euro trips to retain Gold compared to 15 before.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Masterfrog
The problem is you can get cheap First class tickets in the US making the XP grind a bit too easy.
But yes Flying Blue is pointless is you mainly fly inside the USA. You should go for Skypesos.
Is this really the case? I'm not saying that it was never true - but is it still really the case?

In my experience, flights in the US are *incredibly* expensive in comparison to flights in Europe. (And I have never had to consider flying in J in Europe as a qualification strategy! Unless it is as part of a longhaul ticket )

Back in the day, I used to occasionally buy Y-up fares on AA for my BA Tier Point runs - but not any more.

I have rarely seen cheap domestic tickets on DL in *any* class, ever! Certainly not in J! The last time I bought a cheap J ticket on DL, the OTA issued it as economy. I tried, and failed, to have them honour their mistake. No dice.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:52 am

But then again, if you are based out of PAR, or are a Dutch resident, you can always choose a routing that brings you to the other one of the KLAF hubs, for a higher price than the direct alternative usually, though!)
That's how FFPs bring business to companies.
They make us paying us more for a non direct flight.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
WOW I have now read all this thread. Fascinating but I think everyone will have to do his/her own maths before having a clear idea of the individual impacts.

It doesn’t seem as bad as I feared and they have clearly think about every aspect IMO. But of course, as for a tax reform, there will be some winners and some losers and some for who the change will be more or less neutral. They are clearly distinguishing more and more the miles earning and redemption versus the status perks. Some may clearly choose to concentrate on the latter rather than on the former. As it was raised by other posters, now our final feeling will entirely depends on the redemption levels. And I’m not necessarily optimistic knowing that we are talking about dynamic pricing and that award seats will be available until the last seat available (even if I like this idea, along with the cash and miles option). I know it concerns a very low number of persons but we’ll loose a lot of miles with the new system when traveling in P :-(

Regarding the ex-segment qualification scheme, finally to most of our surprise, they keep it but somewhat harder to achieve for new runners. I think they understood the need to keep a significant base of pax with status qualifying this way and to avoid them flying away to competition, especially LCC.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Any word on ULTI, qualification requirements, benefits?
No change in benefits (whatever the tier).
New Ulti requirements are 1800 XP over 2 years (01/01/2017 to 31/12/2018), still only on AF/KL/A5 (about that, it seems that during the press conference they said it will be all Skyteam, but the communication received from FB is very clear mentioning only AF/KL/A5. On 01/04/2018, they will convert what we have earned since January 2017 as per 1000 status miles = 5 XP. At that stage I don’t know if this is good or bad or neutral. I need to look at my spreadsheet when I will return home and make my own calculations and projections.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Interesting to see that all the wisecracks - including myself! - who were certain that status earning will have a minimum spend got it wrong; we also thought that they’ll increase re/qualification thresholds - they did for people starting from scratch, but remained the same for requalification, which is still possible with segments (without calling it that way). And, we were completely off by thinking that segment would no longer be a relevant measure - it is, as XPs are awarded (amongst other things) on a segment basis. Except that now the value of every segment can be increased by booking a higher class, which actually could be attractive for some.
I can see their logic for still giving some sort of status to the lower yielding frequent travelers, but for thinning out the top. Which makes a lot of sense.
I must say, not Armageddon at all, contrary to our expectations. Which leaves me to wonder whether the bitter pill is hidden elsewhere. In redemption levels for instance, or in making some status benefits optional (« choice benefits » is something that DL uses, isn’t it?).
Very good summary. Share the same opinion.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The paradoxical effect of the changes (though not unusual) is its likely to make many better off if flying other sky team airlines. Think of a cheap discounted Z return from Brussels to Bkk for €1000+600 tax, not unusual. Book it on afkl and you’ll get 4000 miles intotal. Book it with AZ though and you’d still get about 13000+ miles ie three times more.
I thought exactly the same when I read the new rules. That’s really weird and I wonder if they thought about that. So unless someone is hunting for Ultimate and so needs to fly only on AF/KL/A5-coded tickets, it can be better to book on partner code which is counterproductive for FB.

Also, I’d like to come back on the Amex issue. The Q&A section of the special FB site created with the change says clearly that we continue to earn miles for each expense (see screenshot below). When reading all the posts in this thread, I was fearing that there would be no more earnings at all. Of course, no more status miles for AFKL spendings as this is replaced by XPs.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
The XP earning scheme for US domestic flights on DL is really disappointing. How come did someone in FB thought that one should earn the same amount for a TLS-CDG and a LAX-JFK?!?

However, if they did - then it must surely have been intended as a middle-finger salute to US members. Or as an incentive for the rest of us not to bother flying Delta in the US. Or just not to bother with FB at all!
This is EXACTLY my situation and I can't agree more with both of you. I fly about 4-5 business class transcons a year and it annoys me to see that I'd earn the same XP on a LGA/DCA (someone mentioned a similar issue with flights within Russia).

Ironically, I decided a few months ago to "work" on my FB earnings and status and swithced most of my US flying to Delta. I might have to reconsider again now - which in retrospect might be OK since I would fly Jetblue Mint any day over Delta or the other legacy carriers business class .

I had it all strategized: I was going to hit FB Gold by the end of the year, including a CDG/LHR in La Première that I booked thanks to the amazing promotion that popped up a few months ago.

So basically I am now wondering if I should switch my earnings to Alaska for my remaining flights this year, including that La Première flight. My motivation being mostly FB switching to dynamic award pricing - and overall Skyteam has a terrible list of partners compared to Alaska.
It also means I'd switch my domestic flying back to American, that is still an Alaska partner (as was Delta up until earlier this year, sadly).
I'm not a frequent flyer, but I usually fly premium cabins. My flying pattern is about 2-4 roundtrips in J between JFK and CDG every year in addition to the transcons I mentioned above so I need to crunch the numbers.

The one thing that sucks is that I was looking forward to earn over 300% + Silver bonus on that La Premiere flight, while I would just earn 250% including status bonus on Alaska. #firstworldproblems
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:54 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Hi,

I've read through this thread and as far as I can tell this is a negative change for my travels or have I miscalculated this as I'm working out how much worse off I'll be. Just looking at the Level Miles/XP aspect.

Became Platnium last September and I do per year 2 or 3 long-haul cheap business class flights and 1 or 2 cheap business or economy intra-Europe flights. My outstanding booked flights are; LHR-SGN-BKK & SGN-LHR on VN in December and LHR-FCO-SCL-FCO-LHR on AZ in Feburary, all these in Business Class. Using these just for the sake of comparison with the FB Miles Calculator (AM for Award Miles, LM for Level Miles and M for the new Miles) and with the current method I will get:

LHR-SGN VN Sub-Class D 14243AM 7913LM
SGN-LHR VN Sub-Class C 15825AM 9495LM

In the new system (after 1st April 2018) these would give:

LHR-SGN VN Sub-Class D 15878M 36XP
SGN-LHR VN Sub-Class C 19054M 36XP

So to earn, hypothetically, Platinum status on these alone one would need to fly 8.85 flights (70,000LM / 7913LM) in the old system but only 8.33 (300XP/ 36XP) in the new system - so that it better. But it is worse for the Sub-Class C ticket: 7.37 flights (70,000LM / 9495LM) for old and 8.33 (300XP / 36 XP) for new. If I do the same compariosn for the LHR-FCO-SCL AZ Sub-Class I flight which gives 16588LM in the old system and 51XP in the new system then then old system would earn 70,000LM in fewer flights than the new system would earn 300XP: 4.22 flights against 5.88 flights.

As an extreme example (beyond my budget) AF First CDG-SIN in the old system using Sub-Class P would need 2.34 flights to get Platinum (70,000LM / 29,966LM) and Sub-Class F 3.50 flights (70,000LM / 19,977LM). Whereas the new system would require 5 AF First CDG-SIN flights to (300XP/ 60XP).

So I guess FB are wanting to deter customers who travel like me. Still cannot work out what sort of customers this benefits. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Also, I cannot see any mention of FB Earn Online which gives the £1 to Award Mile for each e-shop.

Last edited by siw; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Flying Bue Platinum, Etihad Guest Gold
I’m trying to understand the new system , i travel a lot to Asia in Economy. I mostly buy 600 euros tickets to HK, SIN or MNL. With the new system I’d get as I’m plat 600 x 8 = 4800 miles!
(lol @Ivory members who will get 1200 miles when 10 years ago they would have gotten around 12 to 14K depending on the destination – yes remember the early 2000’s when everyone was getting 100%).
But I understand right flying blue partners remains unaffected with changes, so I checked my logs, and this year due to availability problems I had to do CDG MNL with Saudi Arabia, I paid the ticket around 550 euros and I obtained 50% of the miles. I earned something like 7000 miles (x2 since I’m platinum).
So let’s say I want to go to MNL on April 1st, I can either go with KLM and based on a 600 euros fare I’ll earn 4800 award miles + 5 XP for CDG AMS + 12 for AMS MNL (return that makes 34 XP)
Or I can obtain around 7000 awards miles from Saudi Arabia (+100% bonus for Plat.) so a total of 14,000 miles and how many XP points will I earn from Saudi Arabia flight?
10 XP for CDG JED and 12 XP for JED MNL 22 x 2 = 44 XP.
Great job AF KLM for making a system that strongly encourage clients to use other airlines than AF-KLM.
KL803 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Also, I’d like to come back on the Amex issue. The Q&A section of the special FB site created with the change says clearly that we continue to earn miles for each expense (see screenshot below). When reading all the posts in this thread, I was fearing that there would be no more earnings at all. Of course, no more status miles for AFKL spendings as this is replaced by XPs.
But that only says you can continue to earn Miles (formerly: Award Miles) on your daily purchases. No-one doubts that you will continue to earn (Award) Miles based on your spend.

There is no explicit mention of earning XPs (Level Miles) based on spend on AFKL, or any other source. As such, I think you are reading far too much into that screenshot.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred

I fear it is a middle-finger salute. According to the calculator, there is no first class on DL anymore. F et P booking class are under Premium Economy.

Programs: flying blue
Originally Posted by shotb83
And all that spend going into improving the Crown Lounge. Going to be considerably empty in a couple of years time.
KLM is trying to sell lounge access for a fee to all passengers 😓

Is this really the case? I'm not saying that it was never true - but is it still really the case?

In my experience, flights in the US are *incredibly* expensive in comparison to flights in Europe. (And I have never had to consider flying in J in Europe as a qualification strategy! Unless it is as part of a longhaul ticket )

Back in the day, I used to occasionally buy Y-up fares on AA for my BA Tier Point runs - but not any more.
I was thinking about those YUP fares that were earning tons of TPs on BA a few years ago but maybe they are all gone now. I didn't check it for years. Apparently J is not that impressive inside the US so I was guessing you could get some discounted tickets but maybe I am wrong.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nibbler
I’m trying to understand the new system , i travel a lot to Asia in Economy. I mostly buy 600 euros tickets to HK, SIN or MNL. With the new system I’d get as I’m plat 600 x 8 = 4800 miles!
It will be less than that. The government taxes and charges are stripped out and you only earn based on the remaining fare.

(It seems that carrier surcharge/fuel surcharge will be included in the amount for which you earn Miles)

Originally Posted by nibbler
Great job AF KLM for making a system that strongly encourage clients to use other airlines than AF-KLM.
Again, I really don't think they have considered the full impact of the changes. They certainly are not concerned about small-time travellers (by that I mean people who buy the cheapest tickets) and there are some glaring anomalies, indeed. But maybe their full intention was to pawn-off low-rev flyers to their "partners" Not likely, though, as they will continue to dole out such paltry amounts to those who stump up for such tickets on their metal. Really really weird.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I fear it is a middle-finger salute. According to the calculator, there is no first class on DL anymore. F et P booking class are under Premium Economy.
So 4 XP for a LAX-JFK in F

It's almost an embargo on the USA by Flying Blue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.