Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by newflyer27
Why would TGV AIR not count? TGV from Brussels (ZYR) to CDG counts as a segment and earns 5XP as an intra-europe flight.
My bad. I must have been thinking other alliance.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Again, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

However, the whole idea of FFPs is that you have a certain amount of "time" in which to earn a certain amount of "coins". (Bad analogy; coins don't typically expire, or not as quickly as FFP currency does)

If you don't get enough "coins" in order to do something interesting with them - and here the only purpose of XPs is to determine your status - then you "lose" them without ever having "used" them.
We haven't actually heard anything yet about expiration of XPs, though I do expect it will come up sooner rather than later

I agree that a soft landing means you never drop more than 1 level. But what is new now is that, apparently, people going down in status will get a rollover. This cannot mean that you get to keep ALL your coins - when you get a rollover on the way up, you only get to keep a fraction of the coins. So, anyone who thinks/claims that people falling down a level, and getting a soft landing, will get a "rollover" which amounts to keeping ALL of the accumulated "coins" in the previous frame, appears to be mistaken.
If you get a rollover on the way up, you don't "only get to keep a fraction". You get to have a status.

Again, I see why you would expect that an airline will choose the less user friendly, more cost avoidance friendly way to deal with this. But I don't neccesarilly see it as a given.

Instead, the workaround would appear to be that those who didn't go up in status, but had earned enough to be granted the lower status anyway, and who never previously benefitted from that fact - they would have got the soft landing even if they had earned far fewer "coins" - will now, exceptionally, get a "rollover" based on the amount they exceeded the lower (rather than the target) threshold.

For people who flew so little that they wouldn't have amassed the necessary "coins" for the new, lower status level - well, the soft-landing is reward enough. They get no rollover. Otherwise, everyone that dropped in status gets to keep everything from the entire previous year, and have another full year in which to attempt to reach their target, with all of the previous year's earning counted, too.

(And remember - the "hallmark" of the new system is that double-counting of XPs is not allowed! Even if they didn't, first time around, actually achieve anything you weren't going to get anyway, via the soft-landing mechanism! Allowing a soft-lander to keep ALL the XPs means that they can use each of those XPs for a second bite of the cherry! they failed in the previous year to even maintain that status, and now you say they can use ALL those XPs in the new year to aim for the new, lower first target)
Why woould that be double counting?

Either you got enough XP to get enough status, or you didn't.
If you did, the XPs are taken away. They can't be counted again.
If you didn't, you keep the XPs. They aren't double counted - they were never counted in the first place.

But again, the current system is that anyone with status [exept Silvers, of course] will get a soft landing. Even if they don't fly at all; even if they fly so much they only just missed out on maintaining status.

None of these people would have received a rollover. The new system will additionally "reward" those who had earned the new, lower status, by allowing them to start the next year with a non-zero balance - previously, they would have started with zero, no different from the person who soft landed and didn't fly at all the previous year.

Precisely. Under the current system, anyone granted the soft-landing gets no carryover. Even those who had more than qualified for that lower status, and hence didn't actually "need" the soft landing!
You really don't see the difference? In current system you don't get rollover, unless you at least maintaned status, you loose everything, you use nothing. You get soft landing.
Under your interpretation, those who got just under enough for the lower tier lose everything, putting them (XP wise) on the same place as those who earned nothing.
Meanwhile those wo got more get something.
You are not rewarding people paying for flights to get XP anymore.

But that's not what it means.

Everyone has only 12 months to get to 300XP. You are apparently allowing some (sneaky/canny people) to "fail" in this effort, and start with a new "carry over" balance of, technically, the entirety of what they collected the previous year. This amounts to giving them a 2 year qualification period, albeit for a lower target the second time around.
It does not amount to giving them a two year qualification period - that would mean they keep their level for two years.

There is nothing "arbitrary" about the end of the year. Simple, unchanging, easy to remember, and impossible to change.
It is arbitrary. It is set somewhere. It can be 300 days after my first flight (or first status upgrade) or it can be 3 days after my first flight (or first status upgrade).

Consider this:

I stay for 35 days in October and November at a hotel and for 35 days again in January and February.

Am I a worse customer for the hotel than the man who stayed for 25 days in May and June, and for 25 days in August and September?
Because with the arbitrary year end in December, I can't get the 50 night status and he can.

'Year end" is not always 12 months away in the new system - it comes earlier, if you cross a threshold.
It is always 12 months since the beginning of the counting period. If you cross a threshold, you have a new status, and the counting period starts anew with the higher target.

AS such, 'year end" is more arbitrary in the new system. It is not only influenced by when you went up a level last year, but also when you actually go up a level this year, and is not always guaranteed to be a fixed 12 month period. And even for people who end up getting a fixed 12 month period, the chances are they will have to look that date up - it won't always be an easy date to remember, as current FB members are used to.
It's not guaranteed to be a fixed 12 month period, but only when your status changes.
It is true that it will be harder to remember, I will give you that.

You didn't *have* to start soon. You could, if you wished, decide not to pursue another level in the current year - and decide to give yourself a break (until the next calendar year), if you accepted that that level of flying was unlikely to happen in the current year.
Well I wish I could start sooner. Or later. Too bad my boss had other plans.
I could have been halfway to Gold, instead I'm a flight or two short of Silver and then start from 0 again.
And then I fly another 14 flights, until I have a new project and now I'm flying Aer Lingus because it's in Dublin.

In the new system, as soon as you go up a level, the 12 month counter starts immediately, and the "higher" status threshold comes into effect immediately. Unlike in the previous case, a short bout of further additional flying will seldom suffice. And you don't have the luxury of being able to "pause" until the next year, because that timer has suddenly been started immediately!
But if I don't have the luxury of deciding whether to go on pause or do a short bout of additional flying, I am not screwed anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sch7458
Do they also change the award chart?
They will remove the chart from existence - awards are to become revenue controlled in a vein similar to flight prices today.
In other words there will always be award space, but price will be dynamic.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:58 pm

The 580xp to get from ivory to platinium is a misunderstanding

La période de qualification est de 12 mois. Dčs que vous atteignez le statut suivant, les XP nécessaires pour vous qualifier pour ce statut seront déduits de votre compteur de XP et la période de qualification de 12 mois redémarrera. Vous conserverez tout XP gagné au-dessus du seuil requis. Bien entendu, si vous gagnez suffisamment de XP pour passer au statut supérieur avant la fin de la période de 12 mois, vous passez immédiatement au statut suivant.
"Dčs que vous..." should not be understood as 'as soon as you.../the very moment you...' but as 'if you did...'. If you did reach the number of XP during the 12 months period, those XP will (seront, otherwise it would have been sont) be deducted. And they will be at the end of 12months period, otherwise the end of this quote would not be needed : you can reach a higher tier BEFORE period's end.

The real terms are "as usual", no reset after reaching a level. 100 for silver, 180 for gold, 300 for platinium. The end of calendar qualification year simply means that reset day will not be 1st of January, but an anniversary date, probably the date you joined the program like for BAEC. See the very clear complete post of the travelers club for confirmation (he worked close with AFKLM during development of the new program)
http://thetravelersclub.boardingarea...ue-avril-2018/
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadou

"Dčs que vous..." should not be understood as 'as soon as you.../the very moment you...' but as 'if you did...'. If you did reach the number of XP during the 12 months period, those XP will (seront, otherwise it would have been sont) be deducted. And they will be at the end of 12months period, otherwise the end of this quote would not be needed : you can reach a higher tier BEFORE period's end.

The real terms are "as usual", no reset after reaching a level. 100 for silver, 180 for gold, 300 for platinium. The end of calendar qualification year simply means that reset day will not be 1st of January, but an anniversary date, probably the date you joined the program like for BAEC. See the very clear complete post of the travelers club for confirmation (he worked close with AFKLM during development of the new program)
I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way in which I can explain "the XP required for your qualification for the status will be deducted from your total of XP points and the qualification period will restart" (les XP nécessaires pour vous qualifier pour ce statut seront déduits de votre compteur de XP et la période de qualification de 12 mois redémarrera) in any other way as what has been said in this thread since about page 3. The page you link seems not to mention anything different either, and the person taking notes for us at the actual presentation made a specific point (in post #4) of mentioning the following:

- levels
100 points needed to reach Silver
180 points needed when Silver, to reach Gold
300 points needed when Gold, to reach Platinum
So please, if you have more accurate official information, preferably in English to remove possible translation errors, show us where it is.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Coming back to the Domestic XP earnings applying to US domestic flights, AirFrance told me the following on Twitter:

Hello xxx. As LAX-JFK will be considered as a medium haul flight (distance > 2000 Miles) and TLS-CDG 1/3
as a domestic flight (distance < 2000 Miles) you will gain more XP on the LAX-JFK flight. 2/3
Don't hesitate to contact us again here if you have any further questions. 3/3
So according to those tweets, the XP rates shown by the calculator when looking at US domestic flights is wrong. Will see in a few days if the calculator is updated.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Coming back to the Domestic XP earnings applying to US domestic flights, AirFrance told me the following on Twitter:

So according to those tweets, the XP rates shown by the calculator when looking at US domestic flights is wrong. Will see in a few days if the calculator is updated.
Sounds like there're going to be separate XP tables for some countries then.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
To be honest, I don't really trust those tweets.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadou

English version on Flying Blue website (https://explorefurther.flyingblue.co...n=fbreinvented)
The qualification period covers 12 months. Of course, if you gain enough XP to move up to the next level before the end of the 12-month period, you’ll be instantly upgraded. The moment you reach the next level, the XP needed to qualify for that level will be deducted from your XP counter and the 12-month qualification period will restart. Any XP you gained above the required threshold will be yours to keep.
To me it's clear that you'll need 280XP to get from ivory to gold.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:13 pm

To be honest, I don't really trust those tweets.
For me it's more of an indication that "there's gonna be something about it". There are still more unanswered questions, such as how they see domestic US first class (first class / business class / something else?).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Is there anything in terms of improving the ULTI benefits that justifies this increase?
None that I am aware of. And we still need more consistency on the existing benefits that are still hit & miss, especially on the KL side/AMS.

Originally Posted by fkl
Can someone enlighten me what "Premium Economy" in the XP table means? I am flying a lot KLM short-haul, if this means Economy Comfort then getting status would be really cheap.
it means simply the premium Eco class (W, S, A). Eco comfort is not premium Eco (a class of travel of its own). KL doesn’t have premium Eco class, AF does.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:37 pm

But in the old scheme, you could have gone from Ivory to Platinum in a single year for just 60 segments - the same amount that a retaining Platinum needs to acquire in a single year.

The first 15 segments got you Silver; your status changed immediately, but you kept all level miles and segments; when you then got another 15 segments, you got Gold; your status changed immediately again, but you kept all level miles and the 30 segments; and if you then still in the same calendar year added another 30 segments, you got to Platinum.

In the current scheme, instead of getting Platinum in a single 12 month period with only 60 segments, the NEW system would force you to collect 15 (for silver), then update your status and clear your counter, requiring you to obtain another 30 (for Gold); then it would upgrade you and clear your balance, thereby forcing you to collect another 60 (for Platinum), even if all this was done in less than 12 months. You would therefore require 105 segments - even if all put together within 12 months - rather than just 60 as before. (Segments no longer apply, but just using this to show you - as you and others appear to not realise this by referring to them as XPs - that this is actually how the new system works. It is markedly different than the previous system, in that status upgrades CLEAR YOUR QUALIFICATION BASIS).
There is one big difference here, which I would consider an improvement for "segment runners", if your segments are purely short-haul EU flights, you are correct and qualifying becomes harder, but for many pax who also fly "long-haul" flights, it now becomes easier to (re)qualify, for example if I look at my flights this year, I have a total of 32 segments I accredited to FB, with the following "mix"
16 short + medium haul flights
9 long haul 1 flights
3 long haul 2 flights
4 long haul 3 flights

Let's assume all those flights were in Y as we only care about segments, I would therefore earn
80XP + 72XP + 30XP + 48XP = 230XP.
So let's say I was Gold, I could have re-qualified with as little as 22 flights (6 short+ 9 LH1 + 3 LH2 + 4 LH3), or with my current pattern I have 50XP "roll-over" to next year to make my re-qualification with even less flying.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
For me it's more of an indication that "there's gonna be something about it". There are still more unanswered questions, such as how they see domestic US first class (first class / business class / something else?).
According to the current calculator, F/P are premium eco and Delta One transcontinental flight are under business.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Goldorak
it means simply the premium Eco class (W, S, A).
I wonder how many XP will be awarded for domestic segments in France:
- W (full fare for non-Abonné)
- S (full fare for Abonné)
- A (less expensive full fare for non-Abonné)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:00 pm

According to the current calculator, F/P are premium eco and Delta One transcontinental flight are under business.
Which is IMO a bug because Delta designated their "Comfort+" as Premium Eco for domestic (W fare) and since A350 deliveries have an actual Premium Economy (as Premium Select).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Which is IMO a bug because Delta designated their "Comfort+" as Premium Eco for domestic (W fare) and since A350 deliveries have an actual Premium Economy (as Premium Select).
As of now, on the calculator, for DL:
A, F, G and P are under Premium Eco
J, C, D, I and Z are under Business.
All others booking class are under Economy.

We will see in the next few days if they change something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.