Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is a card conjoint free with the regular Platinum card?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by stimpy
Is a card conjoint free with the regular Platinum card?
If you mean additional cards: yes, depending on the colour of the main card. And the insurance also aplies to the additional cards, but only to the cardholder, not the family.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by Wunk
Honestly, what is left in the AFKL platinum amex card that makes it worth 600 euros compared to a regular AMEX plat?

AFKL AMEX PLAT:
60 XP a year (1 international business class roundtrip basically)
Platinum for 2 if you are plat member

annnddd... I'm drawing blanks from here honestly.

The regular amex plat is 100 euro's more expensive, but you still get 1.5 amex points per Euro spent, which you can credit 1:1 towards AFKL miles OR any other program (clear flexibility benefit there), so the award miles earning isn't an incentive here now that level miles are gone.

Added to that, regular AMEX PLAT also gets you priority pass lounge access, which isn't even in the airline-based card.

Time to do a switch I guess
The level miles are gone indeed, but replaced by XPs, which serve the same purpose. However, the difference between gold and platinum is minimal,
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emviflyer
The level miles are gone indeed, but replaced by XPs, which serve the same purpose.
AMEX have confirmed to several people here that apart from the once-annual credit of XPs, no XPs are earned for AF/KL spend.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by mfkne
AMEX have confirmed to several people here that apart from the once-annual credit of XPs, no XPs are earned for AF/KL spend.
Looks like an old story, doesn't it?

In the past, all purchases would generate status miles. Then they changed the card (without telling anyone in advance), and no level miles would be generated at all (only free segments).

Then, they backtracked and purchases at AF/KL would (again) generate level miles.

So, maybe they will do the same move once more?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Looks like an old story, doesn't it?

In the past, all purchases would generate status miles. Then they changed the card (without telling anyone in advance), and no level miles would be generated at all (only free segments).

Then, they backtracked and purchases at AF/KL would (again) generate level miles.

So, maybe they will do the same move once more?
I was thinking exactly the same.
In any case, we should keep complaining to them about this removal of a significant benefit.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:44 am

Question

1. Can anybody remember when the limit of max 2 insurance claims per year came into effect ?
  2. Is there any news if AF/KLM will continue charging a CC fee when their own cardis used. If I am correct this fee has increased by 50%. At the same time I heard that AMEX is in the process of reducing their merchant fees significantly.
  3. Why is the difference in the number of yearly XPs between gold and platinum so small?
  4. In cases where the cardholder is Platinum for life, would it be nice to be able to assigning the yearly XPs to aco-cardholder? Most Platinum card benefits have no value for platinum for life members, who mostly travel with their partners.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:00 am

1. Is there any news if AF/KLM will continue charging a CC fee when their own cardis used. If I am correct this fee has increased by 50%. At the same time I heard that AMEX is in the process of reducing their merchant fees significantly.
There is no reason to assume this will happen. As it stands, AMEX is the only card that KLM charge for (in countries where a fee for AMEX is not illegal) at this point.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Some...
In cases where the cardholder is Platinum for life, would it be nice to be able to assigning the yearly XPs to aco-cardholder? Most Platinum card benefits have no value for platinum for life members, who mostly travel with their partners.
In this case, isn't it better to
1) cancel your card
2) let the co-card holder apply for a card himself/herself
3) add you as a card holder

=> the former co-card holder will have the XPs, the miles earned on spending will be added to his/her account : anyway, these miles are not anymore useful for status (moreover, they are not useful at all for a Platinum for Life) and I assume these miles can be used for a common use
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
There is no reason to assume this will happen. As it stands, AMEX is the only card that KLM charge for (in countries where a fee for AMEX is not illegal) at this point.
Just book on the AF France website and you won't pay a fee
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
Originally Posted by thibderoc
In this case, isn't it better to
1) cancel your card
2) let the co-card holder apply for a card himself/herself
3) add you as a card holder

=> the former co-card holder will have the XPs, the miles earned on spending will be added to his/her account : anyway, these miles are not anymore useful for status (moreover, they are not useful at all for a Platinum for Life) and I assume these miles can be used for a common use
But then the former co-card holder cannot benefit anymore from the shared Flying Blue Platinum status if he/she cannot quite get there themselves.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by foxtwo
But then the former co-card holder cannot benefit anymore from the shared Flying Blue Platinum status if he/she cannot quite get there themselves.
we are talking about the co-"Amex AF/KLM Platinum" card holder, right? Having this card doesn't give the Flying Blue Platinum status AFAIK (but maybe I'm wrong if the main card holder is himself platinum)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by thibderoc
we are talking about the co-"Amex AF/KLM Platinum" card holder, right? Having this card doesn't give the Flying Blue Platinum status AFAIK (but maybe I'm wrong if the main card holder is himself platinum)
"Platinum for 2" is one of the main benefits of the AF/KLM amex platinum card. If the main card holder is platinum, then the co card holder of the plat amex is granted platinum FB status.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by westi2002
Just book on the AF France website and you won't pay a fee
I just clicked it through on the AF site but it gives me a fee if I chose AMEX to pay with. is there any trick what I don't know?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:38 am

On the Spanish and German AF site you used to not have to pay a fee - this seems to have been removed now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.