Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&Smiles
Live report: I arrived early (2,5h before departure), SkyPriority check-in empty, security screen was quick and courteous, lounge half-full, and a lot of delays (only 5 out of 23 flights on the screen in the lounge are on time).

FYI AF staff warned at check-in that evening flights are often delayed these days.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Arrival data point for CDG final destination:
Saturday July 23, 8:15am arrival.
45 min for passport control — accès n° 1 and Parafe had equal waiting times.

I typically have connecting flight from CDG, so am curious if it’s typical that SP/accès n°1 doesn’t have access to Parafe, just two manned counters for everyone?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mlin32
A simple direct flight from CDG thesedays should not have higher than unusual risk of a mishandled bags.

Zéro checked bags = zéro risk of it getting mishandled.
1 checked bag = some risk but nothing like earlier this month.
I learned years ago not to assume AF can correctly handle checked baggage for a simple point-to-point direct flight. I haven't flown since March, so I've thanked my lucky stars for deciding to wait until after summer to travel next and avoid the current chaos. During "normal" times (i.e., up until the predictable madness started late spring), I found that my chances of having at least one of my bags not make it to my plane at CDG was about one in five. This was 1) as FB platinum with the so-called "priority" tag on the bags, 2) for bags delivered in the usual window and possibly before (including occasionally overnight), and 3) in PE, J, and even F classes. These were all transatlantic flights.

I won't recount the particularly traumatic case of a bag checked in years ago at IAD before Christmas found for CDG that was somehow mis-tagged and accidentally routed to Kampala, Uganda. That took more than two weeks to resolve and required a trip to CDG from my home in Paris to speak to a real person. I think they "compensated" me with 3000 miles.

So, yes, it should work, but AF baggage handling is always a gamble even when the odds should be stacked in the traveler's favor. And I feel the pain for everyone suffering from the current "baggage apocalypse" as they deal with AF's chronically horrible (and sub-contracted) après-vente customer service.

My unsolicited piece of advice: Make sure you verify the tags on each bag and ask for verification they've been loaded at the gate or on board.

Last edited by Amrikibibaris; Jul 23, 2022 at 10:02 am Reason: Last line of advice.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Just FYI : pictures of the new junction building between CDG1 satellites. T1 will reopen end 2022 after renovation and completion of those junctions between some satellites.

JOUY31 and cdg_dxb like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Pardon me if this has been asked before. I'm flying from 2E at Concourse K soon. I tried the 2E-K lounge and found it to be quite uninteresting (especially compared to 2F). The lounges at Concourses L and M look much more premium (are they?), so provided I have plenty of time to shuttle between concourses, can I use either of these or am I stuck with the lounge of my departure gates? Is it even possible to shuttle between Concourses K, L and M once airside?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by cdg_dxb
Pardon me if this has been asked before. I'm flying from 2E at Concourse K soon. I tried the 2E-K lounge and found it to be quite uninteresting (especially compared to 2F). The lounges at Concourses L and M look much more premium (are they?), so provided I have plenty of time to shuttle between concourses, can I use either of these or am I stuck with the lounge of my departure gates? Is it even possible to shuttle between Concourses K, L and M once airside?
You won't be allowed to change concourses at will. If your flight departs from 2EK, that's where security will let you in.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:10 pm

I have a JFK-Paris-Bucharest itinerary in September on AF (JFK-Paris) and Tarom (Paris-Bucharest). It looks like the JFK-Paris flight arrives in 2E and the Paris-Bucharest flight (Tarom 384) takes off from 2F.

My question is -- I thought 2F was devoted to Schengen flights, but Romania is not a Schengen country, so how does this work? All the 2E-2F connection guides I see include a passport control step, but I would have thought that I could avoid Schengen passport control on a JFK-Paris-Bucharest itinerary as I'm arriving from a non-Schengen airport and departing for another non-Schengen airport. I know connection security is unavoidable.

Is there a part of 2F that has some non-Schengen flights? Or where is my logic/knowledge mistaken, since I can't quite figure it out?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewesque
I have a JFK-Paris-Bucharest itinerary in September on AF (JFK-Paris) and Tarom (Paris-Bucharest). It looks like the JFK-Paris flight arrives in 2E and the Paris-Bucharest flight (Tarom 384) takes off from 2F.

My question is -- I thought 2F was devoted to Schengen flights, but Romania is not a Schengen country, so how does this work? All the 2E-2F connection guides I see include a passport control step, but I would have thought that I could avoid Schengen passport control on a JFK-Paris-Bucharest itinerary as I'm arriving from a non-Schengen airport and departing for another non-Schengen airport. I know connection security is unavoidable.

Is there a part of 2F that has some non-Schengen flights? Or where is my logic/knowledge mistaken, since I can't quite figure it out?
2F is entirely Schengen. Flights to OTP on AF and RO leave/arrive from/in 2E. So you will stay in 2E for your connection. You will have to go through security but not through Schengen immigration.
andrewesque likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
2F is entirely Schengen. Flights to OTP on AF and RO leave/arrive from/in 2E. So you will stay in 2E for your connection. You will have to go through security but not through Schengen immigration.
It must be one of those flights where check-in is done at 2F for PAX originating in CDG, but actual departure is from 2E.

Transit PAX are not affected but however confused because ADP website shows indeed OTP flights leaving from 2F. The same website shows OTP flights arriving in 2E.
andrewesque likes this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Aug 27, 2022 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by carnarvon
It must be one of those flights where check-in is done at 2F for PAX originating in CDG, but actual departure is from 2E.

Transit PAX are not affected but however confused because ADP website shows indeed OTP flights leaving from 2F. The same website shows OTP flights arriving in 2E.
that’s possible indeed because RO always departs from L, although before they were doing this only for some long-haul destinations. This is super confusing for transit pax.
EDIT : I checked ADP site and this is indeed the explanation. And this is also for AF flights to OTP.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Originally Posted by carnarvon

Thank you both! This is indeed very confusing. I have been to CDG many times but this is my first time connecting there and I have only ever flown to the US from CDG, so I also wasn't familiar with the 2F check in, 2E departure type flights.

I assume when I land in CDG and follow signs for connecting flights that the big board with connecting flight gate information will show the actual 2E departure gate?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by andrewesque
(...) I assume when I land in CDG and follow signs for connecting flights that the big board with connecting flight gate information will show the actual 2E departure gate?
Correct.

It will be a 2E-L gate as Goldorak said, because the L concourse is accessible by foot for people coming from 2F where they have just checked in.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Chase, United
report: quick connection to train

Arrived CDG from LAX on TN 9:30ish ish on a Sunday, if I recall. TGV departed around noon. Had read some horror stories of connection time needing that long, but for me I was through immigration and at the train station in under an hour.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Chase, United
when to arrive; horror stories; priority security

I depart CDG on TN, I think that means terminal 2A, on a Monday at noon. Flying business class. Bought ticket from AA. Have been hearing horror stories of arriving 3 hours in advance and missing flights. TN says to be come as early as possible, and that they open check in 3:45 prior to departure.

I will need to check in airside, apparently.

How sure can I be that I will have access, given business class, to some kind of priority security lane, and that it will be faster? Any tips on how to find the security lane?

When do experienced CDG hands recommend arrival at airport? (Or, even better, recommend departing my hotel in Le Marais?)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by zoechow
(...) I will need to check in airside, apparently.(...)
How come?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.