Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Board Service Changes - Corona

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by maalloc
LYS PRG in Y : abysmal service

Boarding was done with no respect to SkyPrirority.
Most hand luggage was forcefully checked in at the gate despite a 60% empty plane.

Now for the best part, the catering (lunchtime flight)
- No adult drinks
- No food
- Not even the « sweet or savory » option that used to be the baseline offer.

The « menu du jour » in Y
For the best part: this drink service was done by FAs not even wearing gloves. Even if I’m not freaking about Covid, seeing the FA handling your paper cup with bare hands, handling it from where your lips will be without gloves is questionable at normal times, and astonishing these days.

Oh well, maybe I should have bought the 99€ J upgrade proposed at OLCI. I’m curious how premium service would have been there.
this lack of service is of course not acceptable, but I don’t follow you on the gloves thing. Wearing gloves doesn’t mean safe. It can be even worse than no glove because you don’t wash gloves or don’t put sanitizing solution on. If the flight attendant touches face, lips, nose or an unclean contaminated surface with gloves on, then you have the same problem than without gloves. If you go to a restaurant, waiters don’t wears gloves and touch plates, glasses, etc.
washing hands and use of sanitizing solution is what they need to do.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Goldorak
this lack of service is of course not acceptable, but I don’t follow you on the gloves thing. Wearing gloves doesn’t mean safe. It can be even worse than no glove because you don’t wash gloves or don’t put sanitizing solution on. If the flight attendant touches face, lips, nose or an unclean contaminated surface with gloves on, then you have the same problem than without gloves. If you go to a restaurant, waiters don’t wears gloves and touch plates, glasses, etc.
washing hands and use of sanitizing solution is what they need to do.
Of course soiled gloves are as bad as unwashed hands.
They do provide « protection » for food handling when they are worn for the first time before touching food, and thrown right after.

With strictly enforced usage rules (something airlines are supposedly comfortable with), they can provide a nice addition when it comes to food safety... Asking FAs to wear fresh gloves right before walking down the aisle with the cart would remove the « were hands correctly washed » risk. With all the mindless rules they came up with, they could have added this simple one.

But maybe they decided it’s more efficient to just reduce contact duration with PAX, by (for instance) not not serving food!
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asking FAs to wear fresh gloves right before walking down the aisle with the cart would remove the « were hands correctly washed » risk.
If you are dealing with an individual who has an issue with following proper handwashing protocol, I don't think that gloves are going to help as such individuals would be highly unlikely to contaminate their gloves while putting them on. I really do not think that gloves provide you with any additional protection in this situation and, as Goldorak says, would be more likely to provide a false sense of security.
San Gottardo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, gloves protects the one wearing them, not the pax being served.
For FA and pax, it is safer to serve with bare hands and wash them frequently with gel
If the FA is keeping the same "contaminated" glove increases the risk for the pax.

In risky places I have been using gloves and masks. But the glove has to be carefully removed and then thrown away or washed thoroughly.
NickB and San Gottardo like this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, gloves protects the one wearing them, not the pax being served.
For FA and pax, it is safer to serve with bare hands and wash them frequently with gel
If the FA is keeping the same "contaminated" glove increases the risk for the pax.

In risky places I have been using gloves and masks. But the glove has to be carefully removed and then thrown away or washed thoroughly.
I do the same just for extra peace of mind.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:23 am

LYS PRG in Y : abysmal service
PRG LYS: a new low.

Bubbles (Coke, Coke Zero, water) are gone again « for safety reasons ».
Of course no food service. Flight attendant said very seriously it’s « across all AF lines so that they don’t have to touch snacks of food trays ».

Looks like we are back to April, with inconsistent service and shameless arguments.

Last edited by maalloc; Sep 22, 2020 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
PRG LYS: a new low.

Bubbles (Coke, Coke Zero, water) are gone again « for safety reasons ».
Of course no food service. Flight attendant said very seriously it’s « across all AF lines so that they don’t have to touch snacks of food trays ».

Looks like we are back to April, with inconsistent service and shameless arguments.
Don't you know? Drinking a lot of coke can contribute to diabetes. Diabetes is a risk factor for COVID19. It's for your own safety!

And of course only people flying to and from Lyon are genetically at risk. Those poor people have to be protected! Not those flying through CDG - needless to say. Drinking a coke there poses zero risk.

Gotta love how creative some airlines are in explaining away service cuts.. and to think of it - AF is actually one of the better ones in Europe! What I've seen over at BA and TK is far worse.
johan rebel, Carel1 and maalloc like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Don't you know? Drinking a lot of coke can contribute to diabetes. Diabetes is a risk factor for COVID19. It's for your own safety!

And of course only people flying to and from Lyon are genetically at risk. Those poor people have to be protected! Not those flying through CDG - needless to say. Drinking a coke there poses zero risk.
Thanks, it totally makes sense now!

Now let's try to figure out why KL, on similar routes, is back to normal...

Jokes aside, I still can't figure out the real reason behind this. Even the cost-cutting explanation does not hold when it comes to removing bubbles or snacks as their marginal cost is almost zero. Maybe it was part of the negotiations with unions at a time when interactions with PAX were scary and they asked to avoid them as much as possible...

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Gotta love how creative some airlines are in explaining away service cuts.. and to think of it - AF is actually one of the better ones in Europe! What I've seen over at BA and TK is far worse.
BA service for short-hauls is worse than that?
How did they manage to do worse than the infamous stillwater-instant coffee-fruit nectar service?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
BA service for short-hauls is worse than that?
How did they manage to do worse than the infamous stillwater-instant coffee-fruit nectar service?
Same ole story. Just when you think that a bottom has been reached airlines show you that there is a way to fall even further. This isn't a BA-specific comment, it goes for the lot of them (with only a very small number of positive exceptions)
maalloc likes this.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Sep 23, 2020 at 6:10 am
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / ACCOR Platinum
24/09/2020

Geneva - CDG : Dep : 07:20. Catch it when you can, as it keeps on being cancelled.

Standard short, short offer, without snack.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Jonny Endley
24/09/2020

Geneva - CDG : Dep : 07:20. Catch it when you can, as it keeps on being cancelled.

Standard short, short offer, without snack.
For your own safety, snacks are only available in business class 😆
saraoutou and AlvinMaker like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
CDG-ATH, Y, a 3h flight departing 9:30am: only coffee, tea and juice (no tomato juice) - and a (very) small apple cake.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Thumbs down Some "progress" due to customer's demand!

23rd of September LIL LYS disaparition of tomato juice and apple nectar !
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: FB Gold
Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I'm just happy if I can catch a flight at all these days, more important than on-board service. The FRA-CDG feeder flight that used to be 4x a day is now 1x a day, 2x if lucky.
I just want to be able to even to schedule a flight reasonably; the in-flight service offering isn't top priority. And it's still better than DL domestic service in the US where one might fly from coast to coast in J with just a bag of bottled water and crackers.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by offvoice
CDG-ATH, Y, a 3h flight departing 9:30am: only coffee, tea and juice (no tomato juice) - and a (very) small apple cake.
a route I have taken often...
it’s a dramatic difference from A3 which I usually take..: even last month. two weeks ago I took AF to use my last voucher and I got a fragment (my estimate 38%) of a cheese “sandwich” in both directions and a Perrier.. I was lucky. Bubbles permitted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.