Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread : AF new and cancelled routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ranskis
There are some people who don't mind flying from Mexico to USA via CDG as long as it is in F
I wouldn't mind at all

Originally Posted by ranskis
My friend stayed in JNB (and was travelling from EZE... what a detour to just eat a few coquillettes )
Ahhh yes the famous P fare from JNB to EZE !!!
bostontraveler and ranskis like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I wouldn't mind at all

Ahhh yes the famous P fare from JNB to EZE !!!
Don't laugh but when I lived in Argentina there was no route to South Africa and I did exactly that... in J though, and in a recliner... it was the mid/late 90s :-)

The good thing back then was you sure got a TON of miles.... my motivation then (and maybe a little now too lol)
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Coder33
Linked to raise in French business activities over there !

But I'm not sure that La Premiere market to/from MPM will be that strong..
You never know in places with huge inequality... it could be surprising...Though there is only so much Krug you can drink in an hour

Sounds like a good mileage run to me... JNB-MPM-JNB-MPM in P a few times in a month :-)
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
.... or once, beyond covid, the state of deliquescence in which the country is plunged is reversed....
I guess that means they finally gave up on repatriating their profits.

Only European flights left will be TAP. Turkish and Air Europa if I'm not mistaken. Heck, even Iran Air discontinued flights...!
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Sounds like a good mileage run to me... JNB-MPM-JNB-MPM in P a few times in a month :-)
Not sure AF will have traffic rights between JNB and MPM.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:57 am

I would be surprised if not... they have fifth freedom rights... but we shall see.

That said, they haven't filed fares yet from JNB to MPM... and the flight doesn't appear so you may be correct.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Coder33
But I'm not sure that La Premiere market to/from MPM will be that strong..
A bit off-topic :
La Premiere market to/from Africa might be strong from arguably unexpected places. I remember doing a couple of roundtrips back in my FA days (about 10 years ago) to LBV: F was always filled, and not by Total PAX, but by Gabonese (government people mainly).

They usually have the option of either flying private or LP (which is way cheaper than chartering a private jet). Though not the poorest country in the region, that's still only about 1m people. The ratio population/LP seats available was really not that bad

Peculiar fun fact: I once had a PAX in P from LBV purchasing the entire Duty-free trolley and asking me whether he could buy the actual trolley as it would make it easier to transport everything he just bought... Fun and sad at the same time I guess.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
In addition to its recent re-capitalisation, AFKL announced today a strengthened partnership with China Eastern

https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/air-...ir-partnership

While details are still scarce, we should see "an intensified commercial cooperation and an extended collaboration to noncommercial related activities (e.g. ground services, catering or maintenance) [and] an increased footprint on the Beijing market".

Not sure how ground service cooperation will impact pax, but we could expect more CDG/AMS-PEK rotations through code-sharing when the Covid dust settles.
blairvanhorn and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Seasonal Denver-Paris CDG to launch on July 2nd.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
This is very unlikely to happen this year or even next year, thus rendering the announcement a pointless PR puff. Such a route is not sustainable when used only by a handful of French (and maybe a few other EU nationals) expats living in Colorado. It looks very much like no Schengen travel for third countries (i.e. the US) for the remainder of this year. Most realistic planning is proceeding on this basis. The summer tourist season in France will once again be exclusively EU and UK nationals with a few additions such as Singapore and Japan. The real question for AFKL is how to downsize the business enough to preserve a skeleton long haul service for expat French communities while trying to stop the haemorrhage of funds (state supported). Since long haul is unlikely to see any improvement before mid-2022 (and N. America probably longer) there will probably be far more destinations being cut than opened in the months to come.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like AF is introducing a seasonal 5xweekly flight between NCE and LHR (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) in July and August. Seems to be economy only, i.e. similar to the former 'bases de province' type flights.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

It looks like AF is introducing a seasonal 5xweekly flight between NCE and LHR (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) in July and August. Seems to be economy only, i.e. similar to the former 'bases de province' type flights.
Yes, and it was time. I never understood why AF was not serving this route, instead of selling their precious LHR slot to whoever needed them. Strange that it is Y only. This is a route that can sell J point-to-point.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, and it was time. I never understood why AF was not serving this route, instead of selling their precious LHR slot to whoever needed them. Strange that it is Y only. This is a route that can sell J point-to-point.
This is a route that can indeed sell J point to point but not with 5 flights weekly in a two months period in the summer when BA offers ten times that number of flights year round and also offers attractive discounted fares for the J leisure traffic (around the £300 return mark)..
Old May 4, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Doubt we have P to Havana but a diplomatic passenger recently flew JFK-CDG-Havana because of the difficulty flying USA to Cuba. Similarly, a colleague flew JFK-CDG-CCS while we still flew to Venezuela because the US carriers had cancelled all their flights.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is a route that can indeed sell J point to point but not with 5 flights weekly in a two months period in the summer when BA offers ten times that number of flights year round and also offers attractive discounted fares for the J leisure traffic (around the £300 return mark)..
And pricing from NCE seems much better than from LHR. I get EUR130 from NCE and 272 from LHR on selected dates in August.
AF expect higher demand from UK, but that is a fairly high price. BA is much cheaper from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.