Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"HOP!" will be new name of merged AF regional airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:14 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I know (and thanks BTW for recalling these figures ), but the information you posted from AF French TA portal suggests that Airlinair will still have a IATA code (AN), different from the HOP! one (A5). So, my question was in fact : will there still be specific (non-HOP) Airlinair flights ?
It was my understanding that the 3 airlines (YS/DB/current A5) were all merged in one called HOP keeping the ex-Airlinair code (A5) and operating all their flights under the HOP! brand ex-ORY or ex-province, or in franchise for AF ex-CDG ?
Well, the three companies are not merged. They become fully-owned subsidiaries of the new company, HOP!. So, it is logical that Airlinair retains a IATA code. There has been no announcement, and I have no idea, whether Airlinair will operate non-HOP! flights.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
So, it is logical that Airlinair retains a IATA code.
uh, why? If they do not market flights themselves and all their flghts are marketed by either HOP or Air France, why would they need a IATA code?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:41 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by NickB
uh, why? If they do not market flights themselves and all their flghts are marketed by either HOP or Air France, why would they need a IATA code?
Well, I don't see why the airline group would not wish to retain flexibiliy in how it uses its aircraft. In addition, it is a code that is practical to use across many platforms, for example within GDS, you will have the following displays:

DB*A5xxxx : for HOP! flights operated with Brit Air aircraft
YS*A5xxxx : for HOP! flights operated with Regional aircraft
AN*A5xxxx. : for HOP! flights operated with Airlinair aircraft

" A5xxxx" will no longer be displayed.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I don't see why the airline group would not wish to retain flexibiliy in how it uses its aircraft.
OK. "Useful" more than "logical", then.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by NickB
OK. "Useful" more than "logical", then.
Fair enough
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
With HOP no longer being an AF franchise, is it part of Skyteam?

Also, the question about Airlinair's own flight is justified. The scenarios discussed so far in this thread are the following marketing, operating code, operating metal combos:

• Simply Air France
  • HOP, a now full subsidiary of Air France but no longer an AF franchisee, but whose connecting flights can still be bought over the AF platform but not over the HOP platform, but whose direct flights cannot be bought over the AF platform but only through the HOP platform, using airplanes that belong to the subsidiary's subsidiaries BritAir and Regional, who are franchisees of HOP. I.e. Regional-for HOP
  • HOP, a now full subsidiary of Air France but no longer an AF franchisee, operating flights on behalt of its now 100% parent which is no longer a franchiser but still sell HOP-operated flights under AF name and number, these flights can only be booked through the AF platform, and flights are operated by the subsidiaries of the subsidiary of a company which is the full owner but not a franchiser but code-sponsor of these planes. I. e. Regional-for HOP-for Air France

The case we have forgotten are flights for instance between Paris Orly and La Rochelle.

In the past those flights were: marketed and coded Airlinair, which was not a fully owned subsidiary of AF but also operated franchise flights for AF and also operated flights on its own behalf with planes owned by Chalair which was a franchisee of Airlinair.

What are those flights in the future? HOP (which is a fully...) or not HOP?

Woiuld be great if those flights were AF flights in a way, i.e. Chalair-for-Airlinair-for-Hop-for-AF-for-AFKL-for-Skyteam. Obviously the welcome announcement on board would be longer than the flight to LRH, but if in exchange they dropped their partners Hertz and the Accor hotel group I could live with it.

In other words: will I get Skyteam Elite+ treatment on flights to La Rochelle from Paris?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, the three companies are not merged. They become fully-owned subsidiaries of the new company, HOP!. So, it is logical that Airlinair retains a IATA code. There has been no announcement, and I have no idea, whether Airlinair will operate non-HOP! flights.
Like Goldorak I had wrongly understood that they were merging. So basically, what is happening is that before we had AF -> (DB, YS, and A5) [plus comparable service] and now we have AF -> A5 -> (DB, YS, AN) [plus differentiated services between AF and A5]! So instead of simplifying the whole point is to make things even more complex than before both in terms of administrative structure and service??
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Like Goldorak I had wrongly understood that they were merging. So basically, what is happening is that before we had AF -> (DB, YS, and A5) [plus comparable service] and now we have AF -> A5 -> (DB, YS, AN) [plus differentiated services between AF and A5]! So instead of simplifying the whole point is to make things even more complex than before both in terms of administrative structure and service??
My understanding is that customers have no need to deal with the three subsidiaries behind HOP!.

With HOP no longer being an AF franchise, is it part of Skyteam?
  • [*]
  • [*]

With respect to earning status miles and segments, as discussed in previous threads:
  • [*]

In other words: will I get Skyteam Elite+ treatment on flights to La Rochelle from Paris?
I have unfortunately no information about Airlinair flights operated by Chalair.

Last edited by JOUY31; Mar 8, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My understanding is that customers have no need to deal with the three subsidiaries behind HOP!.
Well, true, but from that point of view, before the change, they didn't really need to deal with any of the subsidiaries behind AF at all
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
status miles and segments earning is linked to the flying activity; if the fare is eligible for mileage earning, you earn status miles and segments
Is that really the case for flights marketed by A5, operated by A5, for Skyteam and non-AF/KL FFP owners?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by olivedel
Is that really the case for flights marketed by A5, operated by A5, for Skyteam and non-AF/KL FFP owners?
That's the difference between "adamant" and "positive, subject to confirmation" : it's what we've been told, but I have no first hand personal experience.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
  • [*]
  • [*]
This is just HOPless dreaming.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Woiuld be great if those flights were AF flights in a way, i.e. Chalair-for-Airlinair-for-Hop-for-AF-for-AFKL-for-Skyteam. Obviously the welcome announcement on board would be longer than the flight to LRH, but if in exchange they dropped their partners Hertz and the Accor hotel group I could live with it.
Just got an ORY-LYS operated by DWL (German crew non-french speaking, except a few words by the purser, German Aircraft) for Airlinair for AF for AF-KLM

The website did show Operated by Hop!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by FranckM
Just got an ORY-LYS operated by DWL (German crew non-french speaking, except a few words by the purser, German Aircraft) for Airlinair for AF for AF-KLM

The website did show Operated by Hop!
HOP! starts operating on March 31st, so it should be an af.com glitch.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
That's the difference between "adamant" and "positive, subject to confirmation" : it's what we've been told, but I have no first hand personal experience.
Actually I was very pleasantly surprised, a few days ago, to be called back by AF, 3 weeks after asking about earning miles with Hop.
I've been told exactly what Jouy31 says, that is "fare eligible -> status miles".
Wait and see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.