Wiki Posts
Search

"HOP!" will be new name of merged AF regional airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
"HOP!" will be new name of merged AF regional airlines

Article here here (sorry, only in French)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:24 pm

Well, it's got a question mark, so hopefully nothing has been decided.

What an absolutely AWFUL name! (Reminds me of Buzz and Go in the UK... neither of which lasted terribly long)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think it's that bad. I don't think that name matters much but anything is better than uber French meaningless acronyms such as PRF! The big question is whether the AF regional operations has the means to be successful and also how much money they wasted to ask H to create this name and logo but personally I don't find the name all that horrid.

BTW, I love the magazine's claim that this name is sort of revolutionary because it doesn't include 'Air' or 'Jet' etc in the name! Swiss, Transavia, Alitalia, Lufthansa, Norwegian, Wizz, KLM, etc. Even airlines which used to boast 'airline' in their name have often dropped it recently (Swissair -> Crossair -> Swiss, United Airlines -> United, etc) I wonder if the article was written some time in the 1970s?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
What an absolutely AWFUL name! (Reminds me of Buzz and Go in the UK... neither of which lasted terribly long)
Well, if Buzz and Go! did not last long, I do not think tha this was because of their names. Go! was doing rather well but BA made a strategic decision to pull out of the low-cost market and sold Go to Easyjet. Buzz, OTOH, was not a success for a variety of reasons but this certainly had more to do with flying inappropriate airplanes (BAe 146) and being a rather small operator competing on Ryanair's turf than their name.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't think it's that bad.
It does scream LCC, though. If that is what they want to do with the regional subsidiaries, then fair enough. Otherwise, there might be a name-product mismatch.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
And as usual, Air France will try to pursue the LCC by degrading its product, its service but won't be able to decrease the operational costs required to be competitive
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic

BTW, I love the magazine's claim that this name is sort of revolutionary because it doesn't include 'Air' or 'Jet' etc in the name! Swiss, Transavia, Alitalia, Lufthansa, Norwegian, Wizz, KLM, etc. Even airlines which used to boast 'airline' in their name have often dropped it recently (Swissair -> Crossair -> Swiss, United Airlines -> United, etc) I wonder if the article was written some time in the 1970s?
On the face of it that is of course true. But "hop" pronounced by a French speaker with the usual level of English will sound like "up", which is of course much subtler than "air".

And if this is the great revolution, they could have kept "Regional", which doesn't have the word "air" or "jet" in its name either (at least not the name used in marketing, which is also the case for the above mentioned companies where "air" is part of the official full length legal corporate name)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mokshu
And as usual, Air France will try to pursue the LCC by degrading its product, its service but won't be able to decrease the operational costs required to be competitive
+1. I have no doubt that the AF regional product will take a low cost direction (although admittedly it would make more sense to wait for AF's announcement about their new short and medium haul model tomorrow for details) so I think that the the 'low cost sound' of the name is rather appropriate although the fare levels predictably won't be.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Nice Airport Premier Plat, Flying Blue Platinum (Skyteam E+), Le Club Accor Plat
i like this name! Hop and fly!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Miles & More, Skywards
Originally Posted by NickoSnow
i like this name! Hop and fly!
Here's my Transform2015 plan:

merge AF's HOP and KL's cityHOPper into a new airline called Hop Hop Hop.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by volerbleu

^
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volerbleu

Maybe just merge Cityhopper with Cityjet and HOP and make it "City City Hop Hop"? That would reap the price for most creative product naming in the airline industry from another product (incidentally also by AF): "Full sleep"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:15 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I would personally find HOP! dreadful, but then, that's just me .
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Maybe just merge Cityhopper with Cityjet and HOP and make it "City City Hop Hop"?
I think you mean "City City City Hop Hop Hop" to be sung just like "Aussie Aussi Aussie Oy Oy Oy" whenever the purser greets passengers at a start of a flight (for those of us who are frequent visitors to that part of the Southern hemisphere)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.