Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by gcashin
The ice-cold Camembert and broken crackers isn't exactly a great snack, but it's not like the other NA airlines are hitting it out of the park with their short-haul snacks/meals.
I was going to post a shorthaul AA snack - but SFO777 beat me to it.

And yes, apparently the cheese was frozen.... so is this really what passes for AC J, ex-best in North America?? I remember having some sort of chicken skewer on JFK-YYZ earlier this year.... is that gone, and its frozen cheese, used crackers and wilted lettuce now?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Amazing meal by AC in J sent to me by a friend yesterday. Truly best in North America

Look at that excellent presentation of the crackers and "lettuce" - yes it came that way.

I don't know what looks lonelier: the wilted lettuce, the tomato, the slice of cheese, or the abused crackers.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by gcashin
To be fair, typically the cheese and crackers is only on short-haul flights, and usually flights in the evening after 8 PM. AC's meals/snacks on short-haul flights are typically similar or often better than other NA airlines.

The ice-cold Camembert and broken crackers isn't exactly a great snack, but it's not like the other NA airlines are hitting it out of the park with their short-haul snacks/meals.
Didn't a senator publicly complain about this??? Is AC waiting for the PM to step in before they act. lol
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
1177 was catered short again this Saturday. BUT this time they brought on more meals and other stuff after all the pax boarded so it shouldn't be the disaster it was last time!

Yay for catching it before we left the ground!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Yyt-yul 697

Last night has two choices the green curry chicken and some terrible tortellini with red sauce and cheese.

Don't know what's happening but was disappointed...

Two weeks ago it had two choices as well the curry chicken as well as salmon which was decent.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
The cod that is being served is delicious.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
Which flight was the cracker and cheese on?

I don't fly that much, but I think i've done "enough" YYZ-YUL r/t to have a good sample size.

The cheese plate I've experienced is served as a snack throughout the day except breakfast and diner (which get the omelette and the new salads).

The cheese plate I found decent. It usually includes the camembert and round cookies (as is pictured), but also another type of cracker, some cheddard, and another cheese I forget its name.

Although the cheeses tend to be on the colder side (which is normal for a 1h flight since food products sold to the public like that need to be kept in refrigerated compartments at all time), my complaint is wrt to the fruits on the platter which are often freezer burnt
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by SFO777
Do you keep telling yourself that to make you feel better?

Also, other NA airlines sell the front cabin for a lot less than AC.
And I'd rather have this or a pass of the snack basket than cheese and what appears to be used crackers.

Is this actually from a short haul flight, or mid-haul? AFAIK, DL only offers snack basket on short haul flights. I'm not defending AC's value proposition. I'm just saying their short haul food offerings are typically better than US airlines on flights of similar length/time, given that they actually offer food other than a snack basket on ~500 mile flights. One could easily compares AC's omelette from ~500 mile breakfast flights vs. US airlines snack basket or scone.

US airlines generally provide a much better value proposition for their premium cabins - I've bought a number of UA P fares this year for trips where the UA P fare was similiar to an AC Flex fare. But I think that's for another discussion outside of the meals thread.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:32 pm

Well this weekend I went ahead and tried the Chicken with green curry, the veal stew and the beef short rib. I would have to rate them:

1) Beef Short Rib
2) Chicken with green curry
3) Veal Stew

Now, that's not to say I didn't like 2 and 3. Actually 2 was great and moist (for chicken on an E90 I was expecting dry) and 3 was good too. But ranking them that's how I'd go .
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Well this weekend I went ahead and tried the Chicken with green curry, the veal stew and the beef short rib. I would have to rate them:

1) Beef Short Rib
2) Chicken with green curry
3) Veal Stew

Now, that's not to say I didn't like 2 and 3. Actually 2 was great and moist (for chicken on an E90 I was expecting dry) and 3 was good too. But ranking them that's how I'd go .
That's actually very interesting, because I thought the veal stew was one of the best meals I've had on a plane in a long time, and that includes two LH F trips.

I guess I just like the young'uns?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's actually very interesting, because I thought the veal stew was one of the best meals I've had on a plane in a long time, and that includes two LH F trips.

I guess I just like the young'uns?
lol actually the veal I would put ahead of all other AC domestic dishes I've had over the years (it was good!)

But both the chicken with green curry and especially the beef short rib were fall apart melt in your mouth. Literally separate gently with a fork. I was quite happy this weekend. (oh, and the standard omelette was good too).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
The cod that is being served is delicious.
Totally agree. Had the cod on my YYZ to YVR flight yesterday and it was fantastic. I asked the FA if she had any reviews on it as it was a new item and the Salmon has always been disgusting. She hadn't tried it but said that people weren't leaving any on their plates which was a good sign.

Good work AC!

Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Benner
Totally agree. Had the cod on my YYZ to YVR flight yesterday and it was fantastic. I asked the FA if she had any reviews on it as it was a new item and the Salmon has always been disgusting. She hadn't tried it but said that people weren't leaving any on their plates which was a good sign.

Good work AC!

I saw that option too today! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it this coming up saturday or sunday!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On my last YYZ-SFO, the SD came to me first for meals, and I said he come back and ask me last.

When he came back, the only thing they were out of was the cod. So apparently it was popular.

I have two PLH flights in the next week, so I guess I'll try everything else? Hopefully they'll have some leftovers?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
On my last YYZ-SFO, the SD came to me first for meals, and I said he come back and ask me last.

When he came back, the only thing they were out of was the cod. So apparently it was popular.

I have two PLH flights in the next week, so I guess I'll try everything else? Hopefully they'll have some leftovers?
Sounds like meal preferences can vary significantly from flight to flight. Spouse was on a PLH flight last week and was asked last for meal choice as a UA*G. SD's offer for meal options was "I have one chicken, or six cod left, so if you want the cod, I can give you two if you'd like."

Apparently the cod isn't all that popular on some flights. I'm happy to see it back on the menu as an alternative to salmon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.