Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
So for flyers without AC status, are op-up chances via *G status higher than (say) the likelihood of winning the “AC bid” upgrade thing? Got YYZ-ICN round trip flights in the next few days in std E (T and L fares) and outbound looks pretty full. I don’t have a lot of money and can expense back an upgrade to PE only on one segment... So if an op-up via *G status is more likely, I’d rather risk it and keep my bid in $ for the return flight... Any recommendation?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eracine
So for flyers without AC status, are op-up chances via *G status higher than (say) the likelihood of winning the “AC bid” upgrade thing? Got YYZ-ICN round trip flights in the next few days in std E (T and L fares) and outbound looks pretty full. I don’t have a lot of money and can expense back an upgrade to PE only on one segment... So if an op-up via *G status is more likely, I’d rather risk it and keep my bid in $ for the return flight... Any recommendation?
Uh... No (to "are op-up chances via *G status higher than (say) the likelihood of winning the “AC bid” upgrade thing")
If you were AC, would you rather give a free seat to the guy with *G offering zero dollars or the no status person offering x dollars (where x is any arbitrary positive, non-zero amount)?
AC is a business, not a charity. Of course, the other option would just be to say no to both.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Got it - makes sense. Yeah, probably not my best question ever.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Uh... No (to "are op-up chances via *G status higher than (say) the likelihood of winning the “AC bid” upgrade thing")
If you were AC, would you rather give a free seat to the guy with *G offering zero dollars or the no status person offering x dollars (where x is any arbitrary positive, non-zero amount)?
AC is a business, not a charity. Of course, the other option would just be to say no to both.
Of course AC has been known to opup random non status pax in favour of people with status, or fly with empty J seats despite people wanting to pay. I mean there was even that guy who had a declined bid upgrade for $900 then got an LMU for $700 or something
So I personally think when flying AC, nothing is off the table Especially right now.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
I have another issue that popped up. I have a flight pass from YVR to the Caribbean for my gf and I, first time using a flight pass. So I have E35K and she has E25K, my eUpgrade window opened up yesterday. So when I go to select my outbound flight from YVR - YUL, there is room to upgrade us both but I want her to use her eupgrade credits instead of using mine.

- Is there an option of just upgrading myself instead of upgrading both of us?
- I would like to get on the waitlist for the second leg YUL-FDF asap. Can I call it in?

Thanks!

Last edited by FreedomIsntFree; Dec 18, 2019 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FreedomIsntFree
I have another issue that popped up. I have a flight pass from YVR to the Caribbean for my gf and I, first time using a flight pass. So I have E35K and she has E25K, my eUpgrade window opened up yesterday. So when I go to select my outbound flight from YVR - YUL, there is room to upgrade us both but I want her to use her eupgrade credits instead of using mine.

- Is there an option of just upgrading myself instead of upgrading both of us?
- I would like to get on the waitlist for the second leg YUL-FDF asap. Can I call it in?

Thanks!
1.You can call air canada and ask them to "split the PNR" into 2 separate bookings (PNR is the 6 character/digit booking reference).

2. For the 2nd leg, you still need to wait until the eupgrade window for that flight opens. The eupgrade will recalculate so that it is prorated to the entire YVR-FDF distance, rather than double charging for YVR-YUL & YUL-FDF.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
1.You can call air canada and ask them to "split the PNR" into 2 separate bookings (PNR is the 6 character/digit booking reference).
No, the PNR is the record (literally the "R") that the booking reference refers to.

Saying the PNR is the 6 character reference is like saying your SIN is your tax return.
Diabeetus and FreedomIsntFree like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
I apologize for asking this if it's been answered, but couldn't find it in this thread.
If I use an e-up for YYZ - LGA (flight is at 1810), but then standby earlier (YYZ - LGA is often a free standby in my experience) - will it move to standby for J as well, or any open seat?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:27 am

If the upgrade is confirmed in advance, you'll have no issue being listed for any open seat.

If it's not confirmed in advance, but you are listed in DCS for J on your confirmed flight, you'll again be listed for any open seat.

If it's not confirmed and you can't get the request populated in DCS, then you'll only be eligible for your original cabin.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:35 am

Appreciate the quick response @canadiancow. So it seems better to not use the e-ups as I'll just end up trading my J (pending confirmation) for a Y if I e-up'd then asked for a standby.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by homegrowned
Appreciate the quick response @canadiancow. So it seems better to not use the e-ups as I'll just end up trading my J (pending confirmation) for a Y if I e-up'd then asked for a standby.
1. If that happened, you'd be entitled to get your eUps back
2. Being in J gives you much higher standby priority, and that reason alone is enough to make it worthwhile
3. I have cleared standby into J on Rapidair many times. Don't assume it's impossible.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. If that happened, you'd be entitled to get your eUps back
2. Being in J gives you much higher standby priority, and that reason alone is enough to make it worthwhile
3. I have cleared standby into J on Rapidair many times. Don't assume it's impossible.
Ah. Love it good call!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@Flyingbunny88

I think your question is more suited to this thread, so I've also moved my reply here

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
When SE books X class, how much credits do they need to upgrade to J class? Let’s say to Asia. Do SE still need to pay $ on top of eupgrade credits?

I called concierge and received many different answers than the chart shows..

@TechnoTourist posted a link that you may find helpful in

His post was here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31858709-post10.html

His Link here
https://web.archive.org/web/20190605...s/request.html

You might want to keep it handy. I took screen shots as well.

Although the "promo offer" is dated for 2019, it may still be available . As you can see, it's for All Altitude Members.

Which of course differs from requirements on a paid ticket

Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Don't know if my math is off or if there's an issue eUpgrading online. My ticket was purchased pre-Amadeus.

I'm E50K and have a flight from BRU to YUL on Jan 4th at 10:00 am booked in Flex. eUpgrade window says 5 days which would be today? Still can't place an upgrade through the website. Flight shows as R5 when checking through BCD Travel's flight availability but all I see is Not Available on the eUpgrade website.

Last edited by SweFlyer; Dec 31, 2019 at 8:44 am Reason: Added information
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
With the old eupgrade site being shut down, the new pages don't seem to list out the various credits needed per fare bucket, just the "starting at" number. Has anyone come across anything which would actually show the current number of credits required by fare class and bucket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.