Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Baggage Delayed? This is your entitlement from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Delayed? This is your entitlement from AC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by imverge
Ha! I did end up going to The Bay on Ste. Catherine. 2 pairs of 2-xist underwear $18 each
Thanks for sharing
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Which airline is liable?

So, my baggage didn't show up at my destination. YEG-AC-LHR-IB-MAD.

All on a single AC 014 ticket stock. And to complicate matters a bit more, the IB flight was actually booked as a BA code share.

I went to the IB counter after it was clear the bag wasn't showing up and they filed the report.

To whom should I forward my delayed baggage damages claim?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:30 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anti_ice
To whom should I forward my delayed baggage damages claim?
In the first instance to IB. However, technically, IB (last operating carrier), BA (last contracting carrier), and AC (first carrier) are all jointly and severally liable.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like KVS said, IB, as the last operating carrier, is responsible to you under IATA rules. So basically, you let the carriers fight it out amongst themselves.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:01 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Air Canada

Delayed baggage: As above, 100$ (SE-E) or 50$ (everyone else). Details here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/customercare/baggage.html

For lost and damaged bags:

Domestic: For travel wholly between points in Canada, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz’ liability is limited to $1500.00CAD per passenger.

International: If the international travel (including domestic portions on International travel) is subject to the Warsaw Convention, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz’ liability is limited to approximately $9.07 USD per pound (20.00 USD per kilo). If the international travel (including domestic portions on International travel) is subject to the Montreal Convention, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz’ liability is limited to 1000.S.D.R. ($1612.65 CAD as of today)

WestJet:

Most delayed baggage arrives within 24 hours but if you have reached your destination, and your baggage has not been recovered within 24 hours, you will be authorized to spend up to $25 a day for 3 days to help cover the cost of incidental expenses while we continue to search.

In rare cases where the bag is not recovered within 30 days, the Central Baggage Service Team will settle your claim up to WestJet's maximum liability of $250, excluding interim expenses of up to $75 (for flights within Canada) and up to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights, including incidental expenses, for international flights.

Last edited by briantoronto; Mar 9, 2008 at 4:47 pm Reason: Added URL
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Be careful about this. You must provide receipts, it is not an automatic 100 dollars for SE/E. They will provide you up to 100 dollars when you provide receipts, if you don't keep them, too bad.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Angry Immediate....REALLY??

• Super Elite and Elite Members

Immediate compensation of US$100.00
"Immediate"...really? Anybody ever get this?

When my bags were delayd, I (AC Elite) was offered nothing. After a few hours, I called baggage services and complained. I was offered $50 voucher. After 3 days of delay, I complained again and I was offered $50 more ($100 in total). This voucher they offer is an "electronic voucher" and you can only use it by calling Air Canada reservations call centre. I hear they charge $25 for each booking...

Luckily, I had a delayed luggage insurance through my credit card and they offered me up to $500 (Later, I sent the receipts in and got re-imbursed within 8 weeks)
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by theTrotter

When my bags were delayd, I (AC Elite) was offered nothing. After a few hours, I called baggage services and complained. I was offered $50 voucher. After 3 days of delay, I complained again and I was offered $50 more ($100 in total). This voucher they offer is an "electronic voucher" and you can only use it by calling Air Canada reservations call centre. I hear they charge $25 for each booking...

Luckily, I had a delayed luggage insurance through my credit card and they offered me up to $500 (Later, I sent the receipts in and got re-imbursed within 8 weeks)
My brothers bags were delayed 2.5 days, he emailed the CEO and was told to submit receipts. Very poor service IMO, for that they should just issue the MCO, they know they screwed up.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC MM / S100K, United MP Silver, Qantas Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by theTrotter
Two of my last three trips to Oz, my bags have gone adrift. The first time, I was met by the AC Concierge and given the equivalent of US$100, plus a "diversion kit" from Qantas baggage services... The second time: nothing ! They were even out of kits.

Fortunately, I have delayed baggage insurance (through AMEX travel), which kicks in for delays of 8 hours +.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Here's how I was treated in Feb.

Between SYD-YVR my brand new suitcase (bought the night before I left) was slit down the back. In YVR they told me to make the claim when I home to YOW.

My flight YVR-YYZ was delayed, therefore my bag misconnected in YYZ. So in YOW I was claiming for lost luggage (4 bags between two of us) and one of them was damaged. I even had the receipt for the brand new bag since it was still in my wallet when I left on my trip.

When the bags arrived the following afternoon, the damage claim was all filled in and ready for me to unpack the bag at home and then drop at the airport.

I did that 7 days ago (had to wait until I was near the airport with someone else in the car so I didn't have to pay parking.) I said I was leaving again in 2 weeks and they assured me the bag would be 7 - 10 days. If I didn't have it today, I should call to follow up.

Came home last night, bag is in front hall in a box, having been couriered. Therefore: early.

Opened the box this morning and have discovered a brand new bag instead of my bag. Same overall features/design, but I can't compare quality or weight (mine was a Kenneth Cole on sale for $80, this is a Delsey.) Unfortunately, this is a black suitcase, the other was blue.

I feel ripped off but can't figure out why. I have a luggage fetish so the bag was chosen carefully, especially the colour. I'm tired of trying to spot my bag on a belt and the blue narrowed down the number of bags that looked like mine exponentially.

On the other hand, they sliced a brand new bag and I now have a new bag, not a patched one, so I've been made 'whole.' On top of all of this, the bag was bought as a short-gap measure since I had picked my next 'real' bag (and bought it in Syd) but had needed a bag for the trip because my others are worn enough (weak zippers, minor wear points) that I didn't think they'd make it through the trip still usable.

Certainly, Air Canada worked quickly and as promised all through the incident. I guess I'm an example of someone who just can't be pleased.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I'm tired of trying to spot my bag on a belt and the blue narrowed down the number of bags that looked like mine exponentially.
I always tie a piece of ribbon to the handle in some bright colour so I can distinguish my bag from the other 400 black bags that come down the belt. So far it works well, and its always easy to spot my bag.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I always tie a piece of ribbon to the handle in some bright colour so I can distinguish my bag from the other 400 black bags that come down the belt. So far it works well, and its always easy to spot my bag.
I usually use long strips of duct tape spelling my initials. It is kind of makes the bag look held together by tape which has the added benefit of reducing the temptation to thieves.

This black bag they gave me will only be used as a back-up in case my new suitcase is in the shop or lost so I'll leave the duct tape off unless I need to travel with it. My new bag is very distinctive in its colours, they are almost nauseating but it is really easy to pick out on the carousal! I just hope it lives up to its reputation and lasts better than my older bags have.

I've had two fail in well under a year (the one above and Samsonite wouldn't honour their warranty on the other which failed due to a design flaw - there was no way the zipper would not get ripped apart because of the design - I had it fixed once at my cost because I loved the bag but it failed the very next trip and WestJet destroyed the luggage strap I had holding the bag together that trip so I had to retire it.)

My other bags were all Walmart specials and held up well for years for regular North American travel. The airlines weren't the problem it was the wear being pulled on cobblestones for blocks on end in Europe (we tend to not take taxis, because, if you haven't already guessed - I'm really cheap.) I was literally wearing out wheels or the bottom edge even if I protected it with duct tape.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Cool

Originally Posted by Jagboi

You need the Flyer Talk luggage tags:

FlyerTalk luggage tags
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
I have a luggage fetish so the bag was chosen carefully, especially the colour. I'm tired of trying to spot my bag on a belt and the blue narrowed down the number of bags that looked like mine exponentially.

I also got a new blue bag thinking it would be easier to recognize, but I guess blue is the new black - they seem to be multiplying quickly. And is it my imagination, but do most Australians have red bags? I can, however, still remember the days of the ubiquitous tan coloured samsonites.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tangoer
You need the Flyer Talk luggage tags:

FlyerTalk luggage tags
Excellent suggestion. Done. (And ordering was really easy.)

Now you all can spot me, I'll be the Walmart/thrift store outfitted lady in J with the Flyertalk tags on her carryon bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.