FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Delayed? This is your entitlement from AC
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:25 am
KathrynInCanada

Programs: Aeroplan
Here's how I was treated in Feb.

Between SYD-YVR my brand new suitcase (bought the night before I left) was slit down the back. In YVR they told me to make the claim when I home to YOW.

My flight YVR-YYZ was delayed, therefore my bag misconnected in YYZ. So in YOW I was claiming for lost luggage (4 bags between two of us) and one of them was damaged. I even had the receipt for the brand new bag since it was still in my wallet when I left on my trip.

When the bags arrived the following afternoon, the damage claim was all filled in and ready for me to unpack the bag at home and then drop at the airport.

I did that 7 days ago (had to wait until I was near the airport with someone else in the car so I didn't have to pay parking.) I said I was leaving again in 2 weeks and they assured me the bag would be 7 - 10 days. If I didn't have it today, I should call to follow up.

Came home last night, bag is in front hall in a box, having been couriered. Therefore: early.

Opened the box this morning and have discovered a brand new bag instead of my bag. Same overall features/design, but I can't compare quality or weight (mine was a Kenneth Cole on sale for $80, this is a Delsey.) Unfortunately, this is a black suitcase, the other was blue.

I feel ripped off but can't figure out why. I have a luggage fetish so the bag was chosen carefully, especially the colour. I'm tired of trying to spot my bag on a belt and the blue narrowed down the number of bags that looked like mine exponentially.

On the other hand, they sliced a brand new bag and I now have a new bag, not a patched one, so I've been made 'whole.' On top of all of this, the bag was bought as a short-gap measure since I had picked my next 'real' bag (and bought it in Syd) but had needed a bag for the trip because my others are worn enough (weak zippers, minor wear points) that I didn't think they'd make it through the trip still usable.

Certainly, Air Canada worked quickly and as promised all through the incident. I guess I'm an example of someone who just can't be pleased.