FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The "THANKS Concierge!" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/21863-thanks-concierge-thread.html)

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver (Post 19837811)
Ha, ha. What was the code for Canadian Airlines? So long ago I can't remember.

CP - derived from their Canadian Pacific days.

bimmerdriver Dec 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 19839164)
CP - derived from their Canadian Pacific days.

Of course. Thanks Ken.

lespoir Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Would concur you guys for appraising the YVR Concierges in this round. Two weeks ago, on a Friday evening flight to SFO via YVR, our YYC flight was late, with narrow window connection at YVR, and we are familiar with the routing. Nevertheless once we were stepping out of the plane, a Concierge lady was holding a sign with my name, even though I did not request for services. Once I and my partner jumped her cart, she made swift moves, driving us real fast to get to the trains border entrance. Over the driving, she multi-tasked checking if I needed US custom declaration firm, which she prepared a copy for me to fill, gave me a pen, asking about luggage etc. I never encountered any middle aged AC concierge lady or any other employee who is so perky, energetic yet extremely cheerful (you would expect only someone young like that). I barely had time to hand over my boarding pass to the agent for scanning, and when I turned around wanting to say thanks to this concierge lady, she already drove away.

Very unexpected yet sweet experience!

gtpdiddy Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Is this real value of being an SE??? Man, I need to rack up a few more miles! Are they as helpful for *A flights?

sinalet Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Adding to the kudos for the YVR concierges. Best that AC has (and starkly contrasted with my experiences at YYZ).

fin 645 Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Let me add my voice to the recognition of the YVR concierges - every time I have made an int'l departure from YVR, they have been totally on the ball, including providing an immediate update on upgrade waitlists (without my asking), and also providing real assistance at the gate. An impressive group.

bimmerdriver Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sinalet (Post 19839903)
Adding to the kudos for the YVR concierges. Best that AC has (and starkly contrasted with my experiences at YYZ).

Haven't encountered the LHR concierges recently, but they have been excellent in the past.

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy (Post 19839675)
Is this real value of being an SE??? Man, I need to rack up a few more miles! Are they as helpful for *A flights?

Yes. Occaisionally they can be hit and miss, sometimes they are as hamstrung by the "organization" as even the most competent traveler, but often they can make the difference between a very bad experence and a very good experience.

If you travel to specific stations frequently enough that they get to know you, you become essentially invincible. For me it was Cathy and Robyn at SYD (and Rob before that.) Nothing like getting a phone call as soon as you get up telling you you can go back to bed as the inbound flight has been delayed 5 hours. Or getting your preferred seat regardless of the fact that someone had already selected it. (SYD concierges seemed to have a dozen reasons why they had a better seat for whoever was in 11A -- better meal selection further forward, better service in the larger cabin, further from the economy section particularly since the bassinet was right behind you, closer to the exit to be faster off the plane, etc.)

[Another aside, from when they still had CP configured 1-2-2 767s. I had my favourte 1A seat. But the crew came on and apologized that I needed to move as I was in a crew rest seat. They found 2 seats on the right side of the plane for me. When the concierge came on and asked me if it was OK, I said yeah, but still not as nice as the 1A seat (but not really minding.) Moments later I was moved back to 1A. Embarrassed by all the fuss I inadvertantly created I took the seat but then claimed I only wanted it for take off and landing, and shortly after takeoff moved back to the 2-seat position. I really wasn't complaining, just making an observation. But that was enough to have the concierges "wrestle" with the crew.]

[And yet another aside -- I was having a problem with an obstinate ticket agent at YVR several years ago. I then stepped aside, took out my phone and called the concierge, indicating I could use some assistance at ticketing. A few minutes later the agent's demeanour completely changed -- as soon as they saw the concierge in the distance. I had to choke down a laugh.]

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 11:01 pm

[old coot]

I remember the first time I met a concierge. I had recently climbed past 80K in the CP program, thanks to a triple status miles promo due to recent pilot's strike at AC -- and a return YVR-HKG-BKK flight -- 22,007 status miles for a single segment. As Executive Platinum was only 85K, I only needed a quick MR to cross the threshold.

I booked a websaver (when they really were websavers) YVR-BOS non-stop on a Saturday, returning on Monday morning. $239 base, and well under $300 all in. Upgraded to boot.

While waiting in the lounge I was approached by Monique, who had noticed that this trip would put me into the Executive Platinum level, and introduced herself as a concierge -- something no one outside that privileged realm knew anything about. She welcomed me to the inner sanctum and explained some of the benefits.

They all seemed pretty cool, but what really blew me over was her description of what they could do if I was running late -- say, stuck in traffic:

1. call the concierge service and let them know the situation
2. give them your flight details and number of checkecd bags
3. they would check me in before I arrive, printout the bag tags, and have a cart waiting for me at curbside, and someone to take my bags to the plane
4. if I needed my car parked, they'd deal with it and hold on to the keys until I returned
5. they would hustle me to and through security, and if required "expedite" me through US immigration
6. and as long as I wasn't too late, they could probably hold the plane for 10 minutes or so.

Ah, the good old days.

[/old coot]

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 11:09 pm

[grandpa Simpson]

Another time I was stuck in BOS during a major snowstorm. I missed my YYZ connection to YVR, of course. But the concierges simply booked (or protected) me on every single YYZ-YVR flight for the rest of the day. My instructions: when I get to YYZ simply go to the next YVR flight and get on; they would take care of everything else.

Except... for reasons that have long since been forgotten I called the SE desk to inquire about my reservation. When they saw I was double-triple-quadruple- booked, they had a fit and read me the riot act. Then they proceeded to cancel all of the extra flights leaving just one. And then inform me that they were calling the concierge office to let them have it too.

I then sheepishly called back to the concierge office to apologize for potentially getting them in trouble. But as soon as the phone was answered I could hear in the background someone speaking loudly "It's Mr. Hamer, isn't it?" followed by serious laughter. They all thought it was a joke. And in the mean time, promptly rebooked me back on to all of the flights.

They chided me for calling reservations and told me "next time, just call us!"

[/grandpa Simpson]

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm

So, to make a long story even longer, yes, conceirge service is probably the second best feature of SE - after upgrades.

KenHamer Dec 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy (Post 19839675)

To answer the second part of your query, about *A flights, I'd go even further. They are as helpful even when connecting to non-*A flights.

During the now famous $800 magazine subscriptions --> 125,000 BA points --> BA F YVR-CAI-YVR --> $11,000+ MCO routine, I was re-routed off YVR-LHR on BA, to YVR-LAX on AC J, to connect to the BA LAX-LHR flight. Things were seriously messed up.

But the AC concierge had been in touch with BA and Virgin to see about alternate arrangements. She met me upon arrival, and had a interterminal bus waiting for me (and just me) to get me from T2 to the International Terminal, walked me to the BA counter and introduced me, and left numbers with me and the BA agent in case I needed any more assistance.

(Still, the best part of that day was the BA food voucher I was given due to the delayed departure of the LAX-LHR flight. It had spaces to write in dollar amount for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and beverages. But in big felt pen they just wrote "UNLIMITED" across it. When I presented it in a restaurant, it lit up the server, supervisors and managers for miles around. They didn't quite know what to make of it. But as I only spent about $14, they accepted it without any real fuss.)

capedreamer Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm

First Taste of Concierge; Bravo AC!

Received an e-mail notification and call informing me that AC8 is delayed by 4 hours due to late inbound aircraft, causing me to miss my connection to YOW from YVR. Concierge quickly rebooked me on AC16, secured 8K like I asked, and put me on AC464 from YYZ to YOW. Because 464 has no seats in J left, she offered to put me on a later flight. I said I didn't care and want to get home asap. So she kept me on 464 and put in a note for the YYZ concierge to upgrade me if there are any no shows.

Excellent handling of what could have been an ugly situation. Well done, AC!

ACYYZ/SD Dec 20, 2012 6:07 am

A nice opening submission for the "Why we Love Air Canada" thread. ;)

yyz_atc_qq Dec 20, 2012 6:10 am

Easy.... we don't want to upset the masses by starting a thread like that ;)