Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2024 Mileage Runs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
2024 Mileage Runs

Please use this thread to discuss mileage runs to achieve missing SQM, SQS, and SQD.

Please see the template in the wiki for the information to provide if you're looking for ideas on how to meet your SQx requirement.

This is NOT meant to be a general discussion of AC sales or cheap fares, for which we have other threads - please ensure there is a mileage/segment running context to your posts.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 14, 2024 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC 50k
MR using companion pass

Hello,

I have a companion pass that I'd like to not go to waste. Anyone near YYZ who wants to do a run? I am willing if we both get the miles and split costs?

Travel dates: anytime between April 8 - Aug 9 2024 (when it expires). I have a decent amount of vacation flexibility so could be a week trip (e.g. 5-10 days), or extended weekend if it's a long flight so there's maybe a day or two before the return leg.
Goals: max CPM.
Metal: AC metal (trying to max SQx and contribute to LQM)
Budget: up to $2000-2500.
Destinations: open to suggestions but generally prefer further the better (e.g. Asia), ideally getting into the 20k SQM range Would be nice to make it to somewhere like AUS/NZ/BKK but realize that may be challenging without a specific sale. With that distance ideally we find something we can latitude e-up so it's in J vs. flex all the way.Hopefully I don't get flamed with this ask...
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by liquidpop
Hello,

I have a companion pass that I'd like to not go to waste. Anyone near YYZ who wants to do a run? I am willing if we both get the miles and split costs?

Travel dates: anytime between April 8 - Aug 9 2024 (when it expires). I have a decent amount of vacation flexibility so could be a week trip (e.g. 5-10 days), or extended weekend if it's a long flight so there's maybe a day or two before the return leg.
Goals: max CPM.
Metal: AC metal (trying to max SQx and contribute to LQM)
Budget: up to $2000-2500.
Destinations: open to suggestions but generally prefer further the better (e.g. Asia), ideally getting into the 20k SQM range Would be nice to make it to somewhere like AUS/NZ/BKK but realize that may be challenging without a specific sale. With that distance ideally we find something we can latitude e-up so it's in J vs. flex all the way.Hopefully I don't get flamed with this ask...
I believe only one person gets the SQx with a companion pass???
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by theranj
I believe only one person gets the SQx with a companion pass???
Both earn SQx, though the companion will have a lesser SQD amount. It's still a cash fare, just discounted.
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Wigg
Both earn SQx, though the companion will have a lesser SQD amount. It's still a cash fare, just discounted.
Yes as I am doing an MR with a fellow F/F from here with my companion pass and the cow tool displayed as stated above
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:26 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by liquidpop
Personally I find the best of use of the companion pass from an MR standpoint to be ME destinations (DXB/MCT/DOH etc.) Roundtrip latitude fares of around $3500-4k plus the companion fare ($499) will allow you to get 2 latitude tickets at around $5000 total (with the taxes) and instantly upgrade on the YYZ-DXB-YYZ sectors which have great R availability throughout most of the year. But like others said, your companion will only get SQD for $499 not the whole ticket.
CdnFlier and liquidpop like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Far Siren
But like others said, your companion will only get SQD for $499 not the whole ticket.
I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can manage the SQD and would happily take many thousands of SQM for only 500 SQD
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:36 pm

Personally I find the best of use of the companion pass from an MR standpoint to be ME destinations (DXB/MCT/DOH etc.) Roundtrip latitude fares of around $3500-4k plus the companion fare ($499) will allow you to get 2 latitude tickets at around $5000 total (with the taxes) and instantly upgrade on the YYZ-DXB-YYZ sectors which have great R availability throughout most of the year. But like others said, your companion will only get SQD for $499 not the whole ticket.
$499 plus surcharges, which on some routes / fares can be significant.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
The truly optimal strategy here is to find a friend who also has a Companion Pass and a ton of eUps to burn, and fly the route twice, once each as P1.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
taupo, HerpaYvr, billdokes and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC 50k
Thank you all for responses so far - lots of good input!

ME is a valid option. It's an area of the world I haven't been to so could justify it (higher CPM) between that and the better R availability.
Originally Posted by YOWgary
The truly optimal strategy here is to find a friend who also has a Companion Pass and a ton of eUps to burn, and fly the route twice, once each as P1.

Hadn't even thought of that, it also made me realize I had only factored in eup calculations for myself assuming they could use their eups for their portion. (reading quickly the eup thread I don't think they allow two pax to be in different cabins so not sure if submitting eups for one automatically does so for both pax).

This is true min-maxing lol. I'm still working through goals for the year (and business travel may end up giving me more SQX through the year) but right now I think even doing two of these wouldn't get me anywhere close enough on SQD to SE that I don't think the second one makes sense i.e. there isn't that much more for a 75k once you've hit the 90k SQM mark (unless I've misunderstood the value levers) as no threshold gifts kick in until SE.

So probably stick with just one of these for now unless my work trips escalate significantly - would need to figure out the eup side but probably talk through with the other human i.e., is there a valid scenario to eup both, eup neither, or maybe eup both to PY which burns essentially same as one J eup.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:34 am

Programs: AC*SE
The R availability makes a big difference. I've looked at using them for an Asia destination and the complete lack of R availability makes it a big gamble for a Lat fare!
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:27 am

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan - 50K Elite Member
Originally Posted by YOWgary

Such a great idea! My Companion Passes have gone to waste for the past 2 years, but now I will consider this! Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by Wigg
$499 plus surcharges, which on some routes / fares can be significant.
I thought to use the companion pass that all segments had to be AC metal - if so, doesn't that limit the range of ME destinations?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:28 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
The R availability makes a big difference. I've looked at using them for an Asia destination and the complete lack of R availability makes it a big gamble for a Lat fare!
You can't simply " look " for "R".
You need to book and try to upgrade. It's a lat fare .... often Phantom availability will upgrade the route even though expert flyer shows no R space. If it doesn't , just cancel it.
Moostekk likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Some good deals to SCL in the first week of March.
FLEX Y from $1100 depending on location.
Might be my last YYC YYZ SCL trip given they are discontinuing this route after march.

My schedule will be as follows.
Feb 29 YYC YVR BNE AKL
Mar 4 AKL YVR YYZ SCL
Mar 7 SCL YYZ YYC

Feel free to join me on any or all of my segments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.