Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2024 Mileage Runs

Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC/Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
98% of my travel is recreational.
O_O

Definitely need to catch you during a layover and hear some travel stories.

Given that I donít fly much commercial for work, I canít imagine spending $20k (x2, incl my wife) and then spending more time in the air to use the points we rack up. Donít get me wrong, Iíd love to, but Iím just so far from a lifestyle like thatÖ. Maybe when my job is just coasting, and my kid is older and too embarrassed to hang out with me haha.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Originally Posted by elbarto94
Holy moly! I hope that was in premium cabins, lot of mileage for your back otherwise! What was the average CPM for those runs?
Helps having older kids I guess. Wife and I have a 3 week old, I'll probably miss a couple of milestones for every week I am away haha.

I guess there is a 5 posts/24h limit for newer accounts. Seems funny, I feel like I have been on FT forever, but I guess just being inactive means I gotta spend some time in post-jail
I buy flex economy and use eups. Was only upgraded to J Once on those trips and I don't like blowing credits for Premium Economy. I did get an econopod from YYZ DXB and YVR SIN.

EZE is/was cheap in PY for may long weekend. TTCrocket900 and I are heading down there at that time.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by yeeg
I buy flex economy and use eups. Was only upgraded to J Once on those trips and I don't like blowing credits for Premium Economy. I did get an econopod from YYZ DXB and YVR SIN.

EZE is/was cheap in PY for may long weekend. TTCrocket900 and I are heading down there at that time.
ahh damn, hopefully you have better luck in PY in May.

what status are you gunning for this year?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Good deal!

I am just curious, do folks typically do these MR with their partners? My wife isn't too savvy about this (only mildly interested in status chase), but she isn't keen on being left behind for days on end. At the risk of asking people to overshare, how do you folks balance time away from home (w/ or w/o partners).

Thanks!
I had a baby last year (7 months now), no more MRs for me. DOs are also difficult to justify to the wife. That said I wasn't really big into MRs before anyway. I work for myself and if I am going to travel to chase status I may as well at least go see a client or potential client to attempt to generate new business.

I made the wife move from YEG to YYJ and now she thinks she wants to go to YEG to see friends whenever I'm off on a business trip. To each their own.

She also used to get jealous when I would do things like last minute premium cabin redemptions to Europe and Asia, but just recently I offered her one (MEX-FRA-ICN-???), and she was too tired to jump at it, instead we just did MEX-YVR and went home.
YYC3722 and elbarto94 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'd love to chat with someone who makes SE just from recreational travel.
Is there any other kind of travel?

SE from 2015 thru 12/31/23 according to my last physical aeroplan card, 12/31/24 per the digital card.

2-3 yvr-tpe-yvr turns in a week used to be great towards status, especially when realized adding yvr-yyz-yyz between trips completely negated the need for hotels.

My spouse generally travels with us, though I married smart. If a status threshold is on the line (or if we need some time apart) I know that if I text an unexpected boarding pass to Asia or South America turn she'd be on the road to the airport and send a photo of boarding the plane

There would likely only be tension or a phone call asking "is this a joke" if she was booked in PY.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. BA-Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm single, and don't have much issue with short trips.

My week-long set of CPH turns is a bit more extreme, but only the cats complain. And that just means they're extra cuddly when I return.
I would definitely go on way more MR's but it's difficult to get a cat sitter I trust for my 3 cats...I refuse to board them also.

Perhaps it's time to find a girlfriend/pet sitter hahahahah!
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:20 pm

That's the life! I am assuming you're in tech? I used to be in consulting, but all clients were in YYZ so close to no travel. In industry now, but most of the travel doesn't get me any perks with airlines :X

On another note, the $20k SQD requirement seems crazy high. I'd love to chat with someone who makes SE just from recreational travel.
Three J class trips to Asia and you make SE easy.

Oh and don't get married and don't have children makes it much easier...
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
My children grew up & moved out ... and although my work travel used to be extensive, that dropped off too ... so now I'm also in the category of an "almost entirely recreational SE". I'm currently at 1.85MM, aiming to clear 2MM by the end of next year.

I love weekends away. I just got back from Amsterdam ... OMG, King's Day was *crazy* ...

The vast majority of my travel is booked as a series of ex-Europe latitude flights which I upgrade upon booking - sometimes almost a full year in advance.

Everyone has to have a hobby - mine is wandering around the world ...
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Is there any other kind of travel?

SE from 2015 thru 12/31/23 according to my last physical aeroplan card, 12/31/24 per the digital card.

2-3 yvr-tpe-yvr turns in a week used to be great towards status, especially when realized adding yvr-yyz-yyz between trips completely negated the need for hotels.

My spouse generally travels with us, though I married smart. If a status threshold is on the line (or if we need some time apart) I know that if I text an unexpected boarding pass to Asia or South America turn she'd be on the road to the airport and send a photo of boarding the plane

There would likely only be tension or a phone call asking "is this a joke" if she was booked in PY.
Haha that's goals! My wife thankfully is fairly chill about my craziness too - but does bring in the much needed balance when I start to go full tilt.

Its nice to hear of people who are doing so much recreational travel. My boss was 8 years SE because of monthly YYZ-ZRH trips in J - I guess that would get mundane in a while.

Originally Posted by Eagle2000
Three J class trips to Asia and you make SE easy.

Oh and don't get married and don't have children makes it much easier...
Too late for that haha

Originally Posted by canopus27
My children grew up & moved out ... and although my work travel used to be extensive, that dropped off too ... so now I'm also in the category of an "almost entirely recreational SE". I'm currently at 1.85MM, aiming to clear 2MM by the end of next year.

I love weekends away. I just got back from Amsterdam ... OMG, King's Day was *crazy* ...

The vast majority of my travel is booked as a series of ex-Europe latitude flights which I upgrade upon booking - sometimes almost a full year in advance.

Everyone has to have a hobby - mine is wandering around the world ...
This makes a lot of sense - wife and I are currently a little saturated of europe travel. 5 trips in the 12 months. Hence the Japan/SE Asia trip booked for later this year. But when we are back to EU travel, ex-Europe bookings seems like the way to go. Is it easy finding R space availability ~6 months out?
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:40 pm

I didn't quite get this. Since you're doing YVR-TPE-YVR, I am assuming YVR is home. How does adding YYZ remove need for hotels?
Also, did you really mean 3 TPE round trips in a week?! Even outside of the $ spend, I cant imagine 6 transpacific legs in a week O_O. Just curious, how much $ do each roundtrip run you?
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I didn't quite get this. Since you're doing YVR-TPE-YVR, I am assuming YVR is home. How does adding YYZ remove need for hotels?
Also, did you really mean 3 TPE round trips in a week?! Even outside of the $ spend, I cant imagine 6 transpacific legs in a week O_O. Just curious, how much $ do each roundtrip run you?

Before covid, TPE was an inexpensive MR, even when you spent a night. TPE/HLG/ICN were fun also .... now Asia is expensive

Still trying to do a SIN run and will try until the e-upgrade system for buying a attitude system is fixed
vernonc likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Before covid, TPE was an inexpensive MR, even when you spent a night. TPE/HLG/ICN were fun also .... now Asia is expensive

Still trying to do a SIN run and will try until the e-upgrade system for buying a attitude system is fixed
FYI: YVR to SIN is in complete darkness for 15 of the 16 hours.....I hated that.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
YVR isn't home, which was all the more reason to land, realize 'wow I'm not dead from this yet', and book another instead of booking a flight home.

IIRC, TPE arrived in YVR midday. That gave time to book another, then get on an afternoon or redeye to YYZ and turn right back around to YVR (hootel not always needed). 2-3 TPE turns does get repetative. While it's nice to see the Taipei 101 tower (the one in the airport, silly..... not way downtown), I am pretty sure I subsituted in a PVG turn to mix it up

The Europe flights always seem too short. Not enough time for the slow meal service, a half day of work, and an entire night's sleep. Nonstops from the west coast make it a bit better, but no slippers.

All this is carbon neutral, of course. Mileage runs have a purpose, and I am sure almost all AC flights leave with either empty seats or nonrev standbys left behind.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eagle2000
FYI: YVR to SIN is in complete darkness for 15 of the 16 hours.....I hated that.
Hardly matters. I can't recall the last AC widebody flight I was on - day or night - where they weren't trying to keep the cabin darkened for the duration. Really frustrating on a morning flight where some people might want to nap, while others want to start their day and be productive without experiencing total circadian confusion.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

YVR isn't home, which was all the more reason to land, realize 'wow I'm not dead from this yet', and book another instead of booking a flight home.

IIRC, TPE arrived in YVR midday. That gave time to book another, then get on an afternoon or redeye to YYZ and turn right back around to YVR (hootel not always needed). 2-3 TPE turns does get repetative. While it's nice to see the Taipei 101 tower (the one in the airport, silly..... not way downtown), I am pretty sure I subsituted in a PVG turn to mix it up
This might be a stupid question - but when did you feel that SE would be worth such intensive turns? Of course you might just be enjoying being in the air, but curious on what additional value you perceive.

All this is carbon neutral, of course. Mileage runs have a purpose, and I am sure almost all AC flights leave with either empty seats or nonrev standbys left behind.
My work travel is usually on the corporate jet, so I am sort of a lost cause on being carbon neutral lol
expert7700 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.