Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2024 Mileage Runs

Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: AC/Aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by yeeg
Unless its all on 014 stock, you wont get nearly as much sqd as you hope to get. I could be wrong though.
How would I be able to confirm this? I booked via AC, so my ticket number is 014xxx, is it possible to still not get all the SQD? Base fare + carrier surcharges were $2.2k, so Iím really counting on that to get me to 35K

Originally Posted by liquidpop
Did you check the SQM estimate using cowtool? If you were able to book that itinerary all in PY it's a great price regardless (for just here and back on AC alone) but I imagine a lot of the intra-asia legs are not on AC so the earning rate is possibly less. Early on I made the mistake of assuming PY on Eva earned at the same rate listed on their website (but it was less when mapped back to aeroplan) and as a result didn't hit 50k that year which was annoying [ back before i knew of FT and all the tools here]. PY on a partner airline frequently maps to one of the Y fare classes (and not always at 100% even).
So I used cowtool with all the partner fare codes, looks like Iím getting 21.5k SQD, assuming AC doesnít mess up while issuing. Might need to figure out how to make up the delta been where Iíll end up at vs 35K threshold.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elbarto94
Hey folks - long time FT reader, newbie poster. Booked a trip yesterday that I thought was good CPM - although I wasn't trying to do a MR. New to the game, let me know if this was good value from MR perspective?

YYZ - YVR - NRT; HND - SIN - PNH; PNH - ICN - YYZ. (SIN - PNH & PNH - ICN were Y, all else PY)
Booked for October: 10 days in Japan, a little more than a week in Cambodia. Long layover in SK. Only had enough eUps for waitlisting on YYZ-YVR and ICN-YYZ leg. So will have to stick to PY for YVR - NRT. Could be worse though!

Came out to CAD $2.5k. 19.5k miles on GCM, ~24.5k SQM after PY multiplier. Comes out to just about 10 CPM - with PY!

If anyone is looking to book a similar trip, I was able to find similar prices for HAN, CGK, MNL. I was looking around Sep/Oct.
Looks like a fun trip, and definitely a good price, but for me, I wouldn't consider a multi-week vacation to be a MR
taupo, billdokes and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Looks like a fun trip, and definitely a good price, but for me, I wouldn't consider a multi-week vacation to be a MR
haha yes, too long to be a MR for sure. Honestly I am still new to the Aeroplan game, and I feel like Iíd be too tempted to spend time at any city I do a MR to. Maybe after enough MR the itch to see places will subside.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:14 am

haha yes, too long to be a MR for sure. Honestly I am still new to the Aeroplan game, and I feel like Iíd be too tempted to spend time at any city I do a MR to. Maybe after enough MR the itch to see places will subside.
I think it's more a matter of the purpose of the trip.

If I'm going "to Japan", I want to see Japan.

If I'm booking an MR, the goal is SQx, and I look for the lowest CPM, regardless of destination. Sometimes that involves an overnight where I will go out and do something, but more often I get back on the same aircraft to fly back.

Though I haven't done an MR in a while. I have three coming up in a month, but those were under 7 US cents per SQM in J, which is more to my liking.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:28 am

Though I haven't done an MR in a while. I have three coming up in a month, but those were under 7 US cents per SQM in J, which is more to my liking.
thatís sweet! ex-US trips? Iíd love to know routes/cost
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:36 am

that’s sweet! ex-US trips? I’d love to know routes/cost
[PREM FARE GONE] CPH - SEA Biz Apr 27 - May 28 AC / LH $778

It was CPH-USA.

I'm doing CPH-YYZ/YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH, all on AC, 3 times in a row. I screwed up the dates so get to spend a day in CPH, but I'll survive.

Each trip was under $800 USD.

Which reminds me I don't have any hotels booked yet.
vernonc and elbarto94 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:30 am

Good deal!

I am just curious, do folks typically do these MR with their partners? My wife isn't too savvy about this (only mildly interested in status chase), but she isn't keen on being left behind for days on end. At the risk of asking people to overshare, how do you folks balance time away from home (w/ or w/o partners).

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Good deal!

I am just curious, do folks typically do these MR with their partners? My wife isn't too savvy about this (only mildly interested in status chase), but she isn't keen on being left behind for days on end. At the risk of asking people to overshare, how do you folks balance time away from home (w/ or w/o partners).

Thanks!
My better half tolerates my work travel (just starting 4 weeks of travel in a row though each trip is 3-4 days) and any MR just so long as her trips across the pond on holiday with me or to Asia to see family or to Africa for a safari (with me) are all in J.
billdokes likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:39 pm

Good deal!

Thanks!
I'm single, and don't have much issue with short trips.

My week-long set of CPH turns is a bit more extreme, but only the cats complain. And that just means they're extra cuddly when I return.
taupo, Eagle2000 and elbarto94 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Good deal!

Thanks!
Since feb 29, I've flown to AKL, SCL, DXB, SIN, KUL, and YQR. Spent a couple days in each location and left my wife and pretty much adult kids at home. I tend to go to places my wife has little interest in going.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Since feb 29, I've flown to AKL, SCL, DXB, SIN, KUL, and YQR. Spent a couple days in each location and left my wife and pretty much adult kids at home. I tend to go to places my wife has little interest in going.
.......and YQR... Pretty cool place
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
My better half tolerates my work travel (just starting 4 weeks of travel in a row though each trip is 3-4 days) and any MR just so long as her trips across the pond on holiday with me or to Asia to see family or to Africa for a safari (with me) are all in J.
Fair enough - win win!

I'm single, and don't have much issue with short trips.

My week-long set of CPH turns is a bit more extreme, but only the cats complain. And that just means they're extra cuddly when I return.
Yeah that sounds a bit tough, 3 trips back to back! What's the total SQD/SQM for the 3 runs? Hopefully that gets you SE!
Also, how do you manage with work? Or are you self-employed? My job is fairly flexible about working from anywhere, but wife is a little tied down to being physically in Canada for cyber security reasons.

Holy moly! I hope that was in premium cabins, lot of mileage for your back otherwise! What was the average CPM for those runs?
Helps having older kids I guess. Wife and I have a 3 week old, I'll probably miss a couple of milestones for every week I am away haha.

I guess there is a 5 posts/24h limit for newer accounts. Seems funny, I feel like I have been on FT forever, but I guess just being inactive means I gotta spend some time in post-jail
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:41 pm

Yeah that sounds a bit tough, 3 trips back to back! What's the total SQD/SQM for the 3 runs? Hopefully that gets you SE!
Also, how do you manage with work? Or are you self-employed? My job is fairly flexible about working from anywhere, but wife is a little tied down to being physically in Canada for cyber security reasons.
It's about 35k SQM and 3400 SQD.

Definitely not enough for SE

I get unlimited time off, and can work remote, so I plan to work when I can, and not work when I don't feel like it
billdokes likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:12 pm

It's about 35k SQM and 3400 SQD.

Definitely not enough for SE

I get unlimited time off, and can work remote, so I plan to work when I can, and not work when I don't feel like it
That's the life! I am assuming you're in tech? I used to be in consulting, but all clients were in YYZ so close to no travel. In industry now, but most of the travel doesn't get me any perks with airlines :X

On another note, the $20k SQD requirement seems crazy high. I'd love to chat with someone who makes SE just from recreational travel.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:44 pm

That's the life! I am assuming you're in tech? I used to be in consulting, but all clients were in YYZ so close to no travel. In industry now, but most of the travel doesn't get me any perks with airlines :X

On another note, the $20k SQD requirement seems crazy high. I'd love to chat with someone who makes SE just from recreational travel.
98% of my travel is recreational.
expert7700 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.