Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information – if it’s about AC/Aeroplan, it doesn’t belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by warrens
Happy New Year from Japan, where we had a 7.5 earthquake to start the year.
Hope you are alright. On the positive note though, the way Japan handles natural disasters and how everyone behaves are very impressive.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The latter seems like it belongs on a T-shirt
Christmas gift for canadiancow to go along with his "Zone 1 Boarding" t-shirt!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:48 pm

Happy 2024 from an unapproved form of transit ... I can't earn any status from using it and it doesn't even have wings!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:55 pm

I am also on an unapproved form of transit lol. There is no wing but we do fly a bit when going over switches and railway crossings at high speed though... I do earn status at least.

I did end 2023 with plane watching and started 2024 with plane watching though.

Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Can we start a new thread "Where will codfather be flying today?" or "I flew with codfather and survived"
Where's everyone's sense of adventure? I regularly fly on 70 year old single engine planes with an unlicensed, underage kid at the controls.

I feel perfectly safe-ish knowing that in Canada pilots must have 250 hours of flying time before being licensed to operate a commercial or regional aircraft. The FAA, on the other hand, only requires pilots in America to have 1,500 hours to fly for the majors or regionals. Wait, what?!
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I'd have assumed that no Canadian airline would hire with 17% of the US training, yet...here we are!
​​
//all kidding aside, @codfather should know at least one future pilot who is more than a bit jealous!
​​​
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by songsc
Hope you are alright. On the positive note though, the way Japan handles natural disasters and how everyone behaves are very impressive.
It is very impressive, yes. We are fine, we were 500km away but still felt the ground shake. Not something we are used to in geologically stable Easten Canada.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone watching the juniors?

Spoiler

Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:17 pm
Suspended

My mom been in Burnaby hospital (Vancouver area) since late November, and rather gloomy day. Normally don’t have time for distractions like this but given the circumstances quiet way to spend time bedside
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lloydbraun1976
My mom been in Burnaby hospital (Vancouver area) since late November, and rather gloomy day. Normally don’t have time for distractions like this but given the circumstances quiet way to spend time bedside
Sorry to hear that. Hope she will be alright soon.

Winter isn't the greatest season in Vancouver and it's been pretty weird in the last two years. Too much snow in 2022, and too warm in 2023. Though I did see some interesting stuff at YVR yesterday morning.

Not sure if the star at lower right was Mercury (assuming the one above on the left was Venus), if so that would be my first time seeing Mercury.

Lloydbraun1976 and warrens like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Looks like YVR may be getting some snow Monday. In other news, I am flying from YVR Monday. 😬
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Looks like YVR may be getting some snow Monday. In other news, I am flying from YVR Monday. 😬
Pishposh! In the middle of the night, followed by oodles of rain, no-one'll even know it happened. It'll be finnnnne. Also unrelated, I too, am flying from YVR Monday. 😂
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:37 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I really should know better than to update my networking software from 7.x.x to 8.x.x, but it's just so tempting to click the upgrade button.

Maybe not the best thing to do when others are in the house though.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I really should know better than to update my networking software from 7.x.x to 8.x.x, but it's just so tempting to click the upgrade button.

Well, it's been fun chatting with you. Seeya!

Send me a postcard before you run out of food.

https://xkcd.com/349/

Bohemian1, YOWgary and yulscs like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
No issues here on 8.0.26 (firmware 3.2.7 on my UDM Pro)
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That's what auto update is for. Why do this in a controlled manner when you could wake up surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.