Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: YVR72
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard" (owned by Intelsat), formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • Multiple passes are typically offered ranging from one hour to the entire flight and, on aircraft with the 2Ku system, at different speeds
  • You can pay with a credit card or with Aeroplan points
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 7M8 (530 thru 540 - about 25% of the 7M8 fleet)
    • 789 (except 860-861)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
      • 8 newest 320s to be upgraded in 2024 and beyond
    • 321 (mainline) except refurbs per above (remaining fleet to be upgraded 2024 and beyond) and FIN 483 per below
Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • 321 (mainline): 483 (ex-EVA, entering service with EVA's config)
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: Anything not listed above
  • 789: 860, 861
  • 333: 946, 948, 950

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Future Plans

In September 2023, AC announced plans to install the 2Ku WiFi system on the 7M8s, 321s and the 8 newest 320s "starting in" 2023. The E75s and CR9s will also be upgraded to satellite-based systems "starting in" 2024. No timeline has been provided for completion of these projects, and history suggests it could be years before they're finished.

AC has also shown itself willing to take delivery of new aircraft (whether brand new or second-hand) without WiFi and operate them that way for considerable periods of time. WiFi should eventually be installed on all widebody and mainline narrowbody aircraft, but who knows when this will happen.

Air Canada SE/75K WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year
  • The benefit gives you streaming-quality WiFi on all AC flights globally
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight
Print Wikipost

On-Board WiFi (2023 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Whelp. Another reason to not fly the 7M8. This will suck for folks that need Wi-Fi for a Transcon and AC seems to be deploying these planes on most of these routes. Would be nice if they replaced all their 7M8s with the A220s
Flying YYZ-SAN this week and disapointed that I'll have no wifi for the 5+ hour flight.
I'm used to flying westjet where the wifi is excellent and free (Thanks to my westjet mastercard)
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Last couple of international flights WiFi was only up when we were at altitude.

Departing on another one right now and WiFi is running on the ground (I'm posting this from the plane at the gate). I'd be happy if they do this more consistently.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've had a lot of flights where it worked from gate to wheels up, and then it died, and didn't come back for 30 minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had a lot of flights where it worked from gate to wheels up, and then it died, and didn't come back for 30 minutes.
Happy to report this time the WiFi stayed up the whole time. From boarding through push back through take off. 777-300.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Happy to report this time the WiFi stayed up the whole time. From boarding through push back through take off. 777-300.
Same here. Flew LHR-YYZ recently on C-FIVS and it worked throughout
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Wish they had just figured out how to do it properly for 737 Max 8 instead of outright deep sixing it... ugh.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
New 787 - WiFi not installed yet

I just flew Air Canada’s newest 787 (FIN 860) that just entered service on May 8.

AC has not installed the WiFi hardware on this plane yet, and it was suggested to me that it might not get WiFi installed until the fall due to AC’s summer demand for wide bodies.

If true, this could cause some frustration for some flyers this summer as the flights are being advertised as being WiFi equipped, until the on-board announcement. It would appear that this aircraft will be used on a variety of domestic and long-haul international routes (LHR, FRA, TLV).
Old May 22, 2023, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by smokie
If true, this could cause some frustration for some flyers this summer as the flights are being advertised as being WiFi equipped, until the on-board announcement. It would appear that this aircraft will be used on a variety of domestic and long-haul international routes (LHR, FRA, TLV).
Quite possibly, however, here's the decision. What are people going to be more pissed about? Lack of wifi on a flight? Or having their flight cancelled (and plans disrupted) because of a shortage of usable frames? You don't need wifi during a flight, but you do need a plane to get you to your destination. There will be entertainment/distractions on the plane (you might not like/be interested in them, but they are there),
Old May 23, 2023, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Quite possibly, however, here's the decision. What are people going to be more pissed about? Lack of wifi on a flight? Or having their flight cancelled (and plans disrupted) because of a shortage of usable frames? You don't need wifi during a flight, but you do need a plane to get you to your destination. There will be entertainment/distractions on the plane (you might not like/be interested in them, but they are there),
1) I don't think smokie was suggesting AC should cancel flights in favour of installing WiFi faster.
2) I disagree with your "You do not need wifi on a flight". WiFi is not needed for the plane to get from A to B. That said, a lot of people use WiFi for work. As WiFi is part of the offered service, passengers can rightfully expect it to be available. Of course, they would be wise to make contingencies in case it is not.

A nice touch in the interim would be for Ac to warn people the given airframe will not have WiFi. Even a few hours' heads-up can help.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
2) I disagree with your "You do not need wifi on a flight". WiFi is not needed for the plane to get from A to B. That said, a lot of people use WiFi for work. As WiFi is part of the offered service, passengers can rightfully expect it to be available. Of course, they would be wise to make contingencies in case it is not.
Personally, I don't find I can do any serious work on a plane. Relatively painless things like answering routine e-mail perhaps. But not much more.

This said, I do find internet access useful for instance to deal with issues associated with my trip. such as, checking status of next flight. Or making arrangements if the flight is getting delayed.

Then there are the often cases when it's not working right. When the crew starts inventing the best answer they can come up with to expin. Such as, "when we are over the ocean it doesn't work, does it?" Or, the very common case, when accessing aeroplan login times out. Which might well be an air Canada issue rather than gogo.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:11 am

A nice touch in the interim would be for Ac to warn people the given airframe will not have WiFi. Even a few hours' heads-up can help.
Agreed. When taking a flight advertised to have "wifi" only to find out otherwise in-flight would be bonkers.

I do know people pay for onboard wifi to answer time sensitive escalation emails. I once had a urgent case in Asia that requires immediate approval around 3am ET, my VP responded within 10 min.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:50 pm

1) I don't think smokie was suggesting AC should cancel flights in favour of installing WiFi faster.

See, this is a problem. While the announcement can be made, it still takes time to install, configure and test wifi systems. Few aircraft are delivered with wifi and it takes time to kit out a fleet. And as stated by Stranger, the wifi could malfunction or not work. There could also be dead spots or restrictions (ala the GFWC) depending on the airline or where you might be over. And this goes for any airline, not just AC. A heads up that a given airframe having or not wifi is not really going to help someone if they fly through such places.

Originally Posted by IronJuice
Agreed. When taking a flight advertised to have "wifi" only to find out otherwise in-flight would be bonkers.

I do know people pay for onboard wifi to answer time sensitive escalation emails. I once had a urgent case in Asia that requires immediate approval around 3am ET, my VP responded within 10 min.
So what happens if they're in a satellite dead zone? I know I'm not a regular case (at least not anymore), but when I take a TPAC flight, I assume I'm out of communication until I hit the destination and can find a coffee shop with wifi or a sim card (with data) to load into my phone (let's say 24 or hours). If I get wifi in between, great! But the assumption is that I won't be reachable while in transit.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:13 pm

So what happens if they're in a satellite dead zone? I know I'm not a regular case (at least not anymore), but when I take a TPAC flight, I assume I'm out of communication until I hit the destination and can find a coffee shop with wifi or a sim card (with data) to load into my phone (let's say 24 or hours). If I get wifi in between, great! But the assumption is that I won't be reachable while in transit.
This can be said to literally anything, even the home internet can go down, thing fails, all the time. No service provider can promise 100% uptime.

The point is not to avoid failure, but to simply notify the customers ahead of time when a promised service cannot be delivered. A satellite dead zone doesn't mean the service cannot be delivered, it simply means there are, hopefully, short interruptions.

Work can be done with inflight wifi, and sometimes, these types of work can be important and time-sensitive.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by IronJuice
This can be said to literally anything, even the home internet can go down, thing fails, all the time. No service provider can promise 100% uptime.

The point is not to avoid failure, but to simply notify the customers ahead of time when a promised service cannot be delivered. A satellite dead zone doesn't mean the service cannot be delivered, it simply means there are, hopefully, short interruptions.

Work can be done with inflight wifi, and sometimes, these types of work can be important and time-sensitive.
Exactly. I assume that I am going to be connected but take precautions in case I am not (download some material ahead of time, etc.). The coverage area for WiFi is pretty good and the service is generally reliable at this point - unless I'm stuck on a 7M8 I expect I am connected.

Having one 787 fin without WiFi is an issue. If they needed to get it into service for the summer season fine, but flagging it in the app would be helpful so I know I am not connected.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
See, this is a problem. While the announcement can be made, it still takes time to install, configure and test wifi systems. Few aircraft are delivered with wifi and it takes time to kit out a fleet.
Why, though? Why can't Boeing do it?

When someone's installing seats (or some other independent component), why isn't someone else installing wifi?

I have booked flights on 223s over 7M8s in an effort to stay connected. Not if it's the difference between an 0600 departure and a 1200 departure, but for less drastic differences where both times work.

I've also booked UA over AC when AC had no options where I was confident there would be wifi.

Now what should I do?

I'm literally in the process of planning a trip where we need wifi on the outbound. There's never a guarantee it will work, but if we can't be confident the system will even exist, then we can't fly AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.