Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs - information & experiences (July 2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Access

Please see this thread for questions on access to the MLLs and where they're located. Moderator note: questions about access posted in this thread will be deleted.

Directory of Lounge Threads

AC has three types of lounges. Each has its own thread. This thread is for MLLs. If you have questions about another type of lounge, please visit the relevant thread.
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (“MLLs”): essentially, regular lounges
  • Café: café-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go food
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers

Showers

YYZ
  • Dom - open
  • Intl - open
  • TB - open

YVR
  • Dom - closed, pending renovation (inquired on April 20, 2023) (Inquired 22Jun2023, and again on 27-March-2024, "No idea when they will reopen".)
  • Intl - open
  • TB - open

YUL
  • Intl - open
Print Wikipost

MLLs - information & experiences (July 2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Without getting into the relative proportion of "one-off paid J" pax, my point was more about how AC could differentiate their J product, thus my choice to use the word "appreciated" versus "most valuable".
But you could make the exact same point the other way, that AC could differentiate their elite recognition program by offering 50K and 75K passengers priority over non-status J passengers. While I doubt we would ever see that (and as someone who will far more often be a non-status J passenger than a 50K+ Y passenger it would be very much not in my interest) It's not that outrageous an idea, LH seems to feel that way with how they've set up their lounges.

For that matter, premium CC holders might be more profitable to AC these days than either elite Y passengers or non-status J passengers. Be careful what you wish for as far as suggesting AC might want to show more appreciation for their most profitable customers.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I also suspect the portion of people in the "normal line" who are in J is higher than you think.
I express no opinion or have any supposition regarding that mix. But I would be curious to understand what it is.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
While I am not necessarily fixated on the actual language on their website, I still believe that the SE line outside MLLs should also allow J pax. And I know that I am not the only one who thinks that.

I am not sure that does anything to address the overall issue of lounge crowding, but I think it at least sends a message to both J and SE pax that their business is appreciated.
DL has that, they separate their lounge lines for DL J and DL 360/Diamond elites and a separate line for other Plat/Gold/ST elites and CC holders.

But DL doesn't allow domestic F passengers in lounge and DL has also made it clear that CC non-elite in Y is more profitable than a Plat/Gold in Y.

I just think AC needs to expand MLL capacity. If they're adding aircraft, flights, and J seats, inevitably, they have to expand lounge space to keep up. I understand there are space limitations at airports, but AC needs to find creative solutions. (Comparing to UA with expanded lounges in EWR/DEN in the same terminal or DL remodeled terminal at LGA/JFK/LAX)
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by hirohito888
DL has that, they separate their lounge lines for DL J and DL 360/Diamond elites and a separate line for other Plat/Gold/ST elites and CC holders.

But DL doesn't allow domestic F passengers in lounge and DL has also made it clear that CC non-elite in Y is more profitable than a Plat/Gold in Y.

I just think AC needs to expand MLL capacity. If they're adding aircraft, flights, and J seats, inevitably, they have to expand lounge space to keep up. I understand there are space limitations at airports, but AC needs to find creative solutions. (Comparing to UA with expanded lounges in EWR/DEN in the same terminal or DL remodeled terminal at LGA/JFK/LAX)
Other than the addition of the Signature Suites at YYZ/YVR, and the addition of the Cafe at YYZ, when was the last time AC materially increased lounge capacity in the domestic network. In 2011 AC carried 33.9m PAX, in 2023 they carried 46m, that's a 36% increase so it's kinda just math.

They either need to build more capacity, continue to re-configure the lounges to cram more people in, or further restrict access.

Personally, given that it seems that space is difficult to come by and major renos take a LOOOONG time, I'd rather see them improve the overall aesthetic of the current MLL's with better seating, remove the University cafeteria tables in YYZ/YVR and further restrict access by tying it to the PAX Status + the Fare Family...ie: no lounge access if you are traveling on a Basic or Standard Fare unless you are 75k/SE. I'm sure that alone would provide the relief that they need...but only they know the math on that.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Status holders whether E50 or E75 or E100 or MM have not purchased their economy fare tickets with the airline promising access to the MLL. The only customers of the airline who were sold access were the MLL card holders and business class fare passengers.
MLL access is above-the-fold feature of status.

I don't know of any legal construct with demands they would prioritize purchases access over access granted in other ways.

You are free to have that as your opinion on how you would run a lounge, and I'm sympathetic to J pax being denied access having a legitimate, actionable, gripe.

But then, so would status PAX.
taupo, m.y, billdokes and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
I largely agree with your main point, but note the page only says you have access, not immediate or timely access.
In respect to the interpretation of a contract in a consumer dispute, the courts will typically interpret the contract in its broadest form in favour of the consumer, i.e. where there is doubt, the consumer is favoured. Access is interpreted to mean the right of entry and/or the right of use. Because Air Canada has not attached any limiting conditions/language, to the business class fare MLL access, the term access would be interpreted in its broadest sense of the term. At the very least, an argument can be made that Air Canada is misleading the consumer.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that most Elite members have more SQD than they need, are you sure that a one-off domestic paid J flyer is more valuable to AC than a 50K in Y?
Until AC releases the financial data, we cannot discuss.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
MLL access is above-the-fold feature of status.
I don't know of any legal construct with demands they would prioritize purchases access over access granted in other ways.
You are free to have that as your opinion on how you would run a lounge, and I'm sympathetic to J pax being denied access having a legitimate, actionable, gripe. But then, so would status PAX.
If a service provider specifically sells a service ,it creates an obligation to deliver the service.
If a service provider extends a benefit that is subject to reasonable specified restrictions/ conditions, the service provider's obligation to deliver the services need only be provided within the terms and conditions of that benefit.

The business class fare is sold with an undertaking of access to an MLL without any declared restriction. (see discussion above)
The benefits provided to AC status holders are provided subject to conditions. The benefits page states;
Complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges. Enjoy the comfort and amenities of our Maple Leaf Lounges. Subject to space availability.
Please note the difference between the two.

IMO, the failure to accommodate the business fare passengers is not an oversight, but is a calculated gamble by the airline that few if any customers will complain. My perception is that AC will argue against compensating the most basic of customer demands. As such, the airline knows what it is doing and has gambled that it isn't worth consumers' wasting their time chasing the airline over the issue. Not too many people can be bothered to pursue AC even when they have a good case. It is a time consuming and frustrating experience.

Not to shoot myself in the foot, but in fairness to the airline, if the waiting times are usually short, then there isn't much of an issue. Few if any customers are going to chase the airline because they had to wait in line for 15 minute or less. Unfortunately, we do not know what the actual waiting times are.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
In respect to the interpretation of a contract in a consumer dispute, the courts will typically interpret the contract in its broadest form in favour of the consumer, i.e. where there is doubt, the consumer is favoured. Access is interpreted to mean the right of entry and/or the right of use. Because Air Canada has not attached any limiting conditions/language, to the business class fare MLL access, the term access would be interpreted in its broadest sense of the term. At the very least, an argument can be made that Air Canada is misleading the consumer.

Until AC releases the financial data, we cannot discuss.

If a service provider specifically sells a service ,it creates an obligation to deliver the service.
If a service provider extends a benefit that is subject to reasonable specified restrictions/ conditions, the service provider's obligation to deliver the services need only be provided within the terms and conditions of that benefit.

The business class fare is sold with an undertaking of access to an MLL without any declared restriction. (see discussion above)
The benefits provided to AC status holders are provided subject to conditions. The benefits page states;
Complimentary access to Maple Leaf Lounges. Enjoy the comfort and amenities of our Maple Leaf Lounges. Subject to space availability.
Please note the difference between the two.

IMO, the failure to accommodate the business fare passengers is not an oversight, but is a calculated gamble by the airline that few if any customers will complain. My perception is that AC will argue against compensating the most basic of customer demands. As such, the airline knows what it is doing and has gambled that it isn't worth consumers' wasting their time chasing the airline over the issue. Not too many people can be bothered to pursue AC even when they have a good case. It is a time consuming and frustrating experience.

Not to shoot myself in the foot, but in fairness to the airline, if the waiting times are usually short, then there isn't much of an issue. Few if any customers are going to chase the airline because they had to wait in line for 15 minute or less. Unfortunately, we do not know what the actual waiting times are.
You seem very passionate about this so why don't you go ahead sue them and see how far you get. Good luck establishing your damages and getting a court to award them. Clearly an example of 'the fight is so vicious because the stakes are so small'. As I mentioned previously, in many situations given the state of the MLL's the kindest thing AC can do to a PAX is deny entry.
m.y likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Subject to space availability.
Everything is subject to space availability, product availability, physical mass of the universe, and such.

Just last night, eating a burger downtown, I saw a gaggle of dudebros, tickets in hand, being told to wait behind a velvet rope, while several young women, underdressed for the weather and wearing shoes entirely unsuitable for cobblestone streets, waved right in to a club.
billdokes, YVR4Ever and Wigg like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
The lounges have changed so much with newer furniture and seating arrangements to increase capacity and eliminate E25/E35 from the lounge.

I think there are way too many non-frequent flyers in the lounges, eliminating the lounge access benefit to credit card users!!!!

Also, I have seen when one books family and friends on one itinerary they all get that Zone 1/2 and invitation to the lounge. In the YUL DOM MLL last week one gentleman was arguing with the MLL agent as the agent was telling him, he could not bring in his basketball team of kids that the general said were all his. I was leaving when this happened and when I was behind him, he said he had travelled 7 times this year and this was the first time he had heard of this.

I am also thinking of the future, after I stop flying as much, use all of my SE banked years, and become a lifetime E75, and if I am not dead by then, what will the lounges look like then?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
YVR Dom had flow control lunchtime today, about 20 in non SE line.
Went upstairs, an absolute shitshow so left right away for a poke bowl from Pacific Market where I sat in peace and quiet
billdokes likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Because you made this point in reply to me, I am guessing you mean to say the court would (or at least might) interpret a right of access to mean a right of immediate access, without any delay or wait. If so, I guess that seems implausible, although I am no lawyer. Suppose there is one person in front of me who is faffing about trying to get their boarding pass to scan or with a question for the lounge attendant and I have to wait 5 minutes. Surely in that case my rights haven't been breached, have they? What about if I wait 5 minutes because the lounge is full? To me that doesn't seem different, and I would guess the issue becomes when a delay amounts to a denial of entry. This may be a bit hard to answer in general because it depends on how much time one has, e.g. a 15 minute wait when you have 2 hours before your flight is different than a 15 minute wait when you have 20 minutes before your flight.

More generally, doesn't this seem to be how AC operates? Consider the way they tell, say, 25ks that they will have priority boarding, priority standby, etc. This is at least somewhat misleading in that they mean they have priority only over the some people, and that many other people (35ks and up) have priority over them (at least for some of these services). In particular, look at how they word the 25k benefit:

"Get on board your flight first, or at your leisure, via a dedicated lane for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge."

Really? 25ks get on board flights first, and at their leisure? I can't find an interpretation of 'get on board your flight first' that is both semantically plausible and true.

Note I am not disagreeing with you, I think if AC advertises benefits they should reliably provide them, and any non-access to the benefit should be a rare exception, not part of standard operational planning.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
YVR TB had a (thankfully) short line today for the first time I can ever recall and is packed to the rafters. Something, something, spring break.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
YVR TB had a (thankfully) short line today for the first time I can ever recall and is packed to the rafters. Something, something, spring break.
I was there last Friday at about 11:00 am, no queue or line, about 75% full, when I left at 1:00 pm, still no line, so I guess we lucked out given it was spring break.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
AC SFO MLL. Around 50% full at 10-11AM, right before flights to YYZ and YVR.

The showers were in-op, they said it was some maintenance issue.

The automatic gates also did not work.

I liked the natural light of the lounge. But because it's just one large space, I didn't like the acoustics, I felt like all I could hear was the loud kitchen and buffet. Food was breakfast fare, it wasn't any better or worse than food at UC. Bar doesn't open until 11AM.

m.y and Wigg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888

The showers were in-op, they said it was some maintenance issue.
There are so many reports of the showers being in-operable. We all have showers at home, and while they are not used as frequently as a "public" shower, when was the last time it was in-operable? And if it was, it would be fixed in a few days at the most. They are not difficult to repair unless a pipe in the floor has broken.

I have to believe that AC just doesn't want the operating costs (cleaning between users, towels, etc.) and/or doesn't have the staffing to operate them.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 27, 2024 at 5:10 pm Reason: Fixed quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.