Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 22, 7:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: canadiancow
Wiki Link
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (MLLs): essentially, regular lounges
  • Caf: caf-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal theyre in, e.g. YYZ Dom is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US.

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

MLLs - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes (passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required):
    • TD VIP
    • CIBC VIP
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic Lounges can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada Mainline, Rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesnt matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if youre on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, youre not eligible.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets

Eligible destinations
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets - this includes any rewards ticketed by an Aeroplan partner, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc)
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an International Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an International flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafe

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Cafe) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP
    • CIBC VIP
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 22, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold

Since there has lately been a proliferation of questions on lounge access, I'm going to start a new thread to try to make it clearer which lounges people will have access to.
Spoiler

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 16, 22 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 17, 22, 8:43 am

Hey!

First time posting so I am sorry if I post something incorrect. That being said I have a quick question. My wife and I are in a Flexible Booking in I class. Flying from YYZ to SJO, which satisfies the international/South American portion of the requirement. That being said the wording is a little tricky and wanted some confirmation to see if anyone on a felxible reward I class ticket has made it in before. Part of the terms and conditions mentions:

Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. (We are a flexible ticket).

The part that confuses me is the next part:
All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded.

So even though its a flexible reward, because its booked in I, we are excluded?

Any further information or personal experiences would help!

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 17, 22, 9:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Daniel Zea View Post
First time posting so I am sorry if I post something incorrect.
Welcome to FT

Flying from YYZ to SJO, which satisfies the international/South American portion of the requirement.
Unfortunately, no. I think most geographers would tell you Costa Rica is in North America anyway, but AC definitely doesn't see it as South America (to AC, that would be south of Panama). You'll have access to the international MLL, but not the Signature Suite.
Old Mar 17, 22, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Welcome to FT

Unfortunately, no. I think most geographers would tell you Costa Rica is in North America anyway, but AC definitely doesn't see it as South America (to AC, that would be south of Panama). You'll have access to the international MLL, but not the Signature Suite.
It's also not marketed as Signature Class.
Old Mar 31, 22, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To confirm, now that long-haul Rouge is a thing of the past, do YYZ-BOG pax get SS access? I know the website says all South American pax get access, but I come from the world of United, who says that BOG and UIO are "inferior" South American destinations that aren't eligible for Polaris Lounge access.
Old Apr 1, 22, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Premium rouge to South America was marketed and sold as premium economy.

If you buy a mainline A fare, you're not getting in. If you buy P, you are.
Old Apr 1, 22, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
To confirm, now that long-haul Rouge is a thing of the past, do YYZ-BOG pax get SS access? I know the website says all South American pax get access, but I come from the world of United, who says that BOG and UIO are "inferior" South American destinations that aren't eligible for Polaris Lounge access.
Yes YYZ-BOG business class with all the usual fair rules has access. I recommend the lounge meal before departure, the current meal on board is very condensed and rushed. Bring a dogy bag, snacks where not available. Nothing is served prior to landing.
Old Apr 6, 22, 10:56 am

If I flew YVR -> YYZ -> BOG in Business would I be eligible to go to the YVR lounge and the YYZ lounge on the outbound? What about the YYZ lounge on the way back?
Old Apr 6, 22, 11:02 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
If I flew YVR -> YYZ -> BOG in Business would I be eligible to go to the YVR lounge and the YYZ lounge on the outbound? What about the YYZ lounge on the way back?
No and no. Only YYZ on departure. It's also in the international section in YVR, so you wouldn't even be able to enter.
Old Apr 6, 22, 11:04 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by User8181416 View Post
If you're in paid Business or Business Flex reward. YVR Domestic MLL, and YYZ Signature Suite on the outbound, and YYZ Domestic MLL or AC Cafe (if open) on the return.

If on a Business-Lowest reward ticket then replace The Signature Suite with the YYZ International MLL
Old Apr 7, 22, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Can anyone confirm whether or not SS access is based on destination, or departing flight? I'm thinking of booking to PTY via BOG but not sure if that counts as "to South America"
Old Apr 7, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by throtter View Post
Can anyone confirm whether or not SS access is based on destination, or departing flight? I'm thinking of booking to PTY via BOG but not sure if that counts as "to South America"
It is based on the destination of the departing flight, so you would have SS access due to your flight to BOG (South America).
Old Apr 19, 22, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I am flying DUB->YYZ->PIT and then PIT->YYZ->DUB in July in Business Class D from Dublin and Business Class P back to Dublin (the YYZ->PIT and PIT->YYZ are on all economy flights).

Will I have access to the Signature Suites lounge on both ends; coming in from Dublin and then flying from Toronto back to Dublin?

The rules seem to indicate I may only have access flying out of Toronto back to Dublin - is that correct?
Old Apr 19, 22, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by Onwardandupwards View Post
I am flying DUB->YYZ->PIT and then PIT->YYZ->DUB in July in Business Class D from Dublin and Business Class P back to Dublin (the YYZ->PIT and PIT->YYZ are on all economy flights).

Will I have access to the Signature Suites lounge on both ends; coming in from Dublin and then flying from Toronto back to Dublin?

The rules seem to indicate I may only have access flying out of Toronto back to Dublin - is that correct?
Only on the return to Dublin. Departure and arrivals are seperate sterile areas
Old Apr 19, 22, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM AC SE
Originally Posted by Onwardandupwards View Post

You will only have access before the YYZ-DUB flight, as when you arrive back in YYZ from DUB you'll be separated from the international zone as you connect to the transborder zone.

Search this Thread