Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (“MLLs”): essentially, regular lounges
  • Café: café-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers
Additionally, AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR for eligible customers.

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Notes:
  • YYZ Transborder: there are 2 MLLs, a full MLL right after US CBP and a second, small MLL near the regional gates
  • YYC Transborder: AC provides access to the Aspire lounge for status and J pax (no passes/credit cards)
  • YTZ Café: the Café at YTZ is an Aspire lounge (accessible via Priority Pass and other programs) co-branded by AC
  • EWR: the “MLL” is a co-branding of the United lounge in Terminal A; access rules are not entirely clear

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal they’re in, e.g. “YYZ Dom” is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US. (Passengers connecting in YVR between a domestic and US flight and following the connections path will enter the international departures area prior to the US area and although can physically access the international MLL, you will not be admitted and will be directed to the US area).

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

NEW Effective June 13, 2023
Access to Maple Leaf Lounges, Air Canada Cafés, and Signature Suites will be limited to three hours prior to scheduled departure time. Please note that this policy does not apply during flight connections or flight delays.

While it is not published at the time of writing this, the internal policy now exempts SEs and most passengers with reported disabilities (eg WCHR) from the three hour rule for Maple Leaf Lounges, but not the Signature Suite.

MLLs

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests; until June 1 2023 - no access on or after)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes(passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB - Assume your pass is not valid for any International lounge)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required, only for MLLs located within Canada and the US. No access to LHR, CDG, or FRA lounges):
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic MLLs in Canada, and MLLs in the USA, can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada mainline, rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesn’t matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if you’re on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is advertised as Signature Class, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, you’re not eligible. The only exception is Emirates First Class - see below.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets - note that only Air Canada can ticket Flexible reward tickets; the website may incorrectly display a partner reward as Flexible
  • First Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets when travelling on an Air Canada segment in Business Class
  • Emirates First Class (one guest)

Eligible destinations:
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia and New Zealand

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets
  • Anyone booked on a reward ticket through a partner airline, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an international Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an international flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafés

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Café) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (there is no business class service from YTZ, but a business class boarding pass for the subsequent flight enables access)
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Passengers arriving on a domestic flight with a connection to a US or international destination, although you can physically access the Café, you will not be admitted. eGates have been updated to enforce the access policy.

While it is not published, the internal policy exempts SEs from that requirement, so you should be admitted.

LHR Arrivals Lounge

AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR, accessible to the following customers upon exiting the baggage hall in Terminal 2:
  • Business Class (Including upgrades to J)
  • Aeroplan Super Elite (one guest) when arriving on an Air Canada flight.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by 1nsane
SS Entry has been denied for flight AC092. Ticketstock 220 (LH) Business Class / Signature Class
Ticket shown on screenshot. The Loungeagent said the access is not on the BP. But the rules say BK P and AC operated flight needed to access. So in my opinion the access rules meet up. The Ticket has never been changed nor it's an upgrade into business class. It was originally booked as Business Class flight.
Anyone has a clue why is that ?
Seems odd - try tracking down a Concierge and see if they can address it. Could be a new person.

If you are there now, I assume you are in the sterile area, so go to the Maple Leaf Lounge and have them get a Concierge for you.
1nsane likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
Originally Posted by The Lev
Seems odd - try tracking down a Concierge and see if they can address it. Could be a new person.

If you are there now, I assume you are in the sterile area, so go to the Maple Leaf Lounge and have them get a Concierge for you.
2 Persons already checked the Boarding pass and deny the access. (Concierges) They refer that it is not on the Boarding pass...
Would an AC service desk landside be helpful?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 Persons already checked the Boarding pass and deny the access. (Concierges) They refer that it is not on the Boarding pass...
Would an AC service desk landside be helpful?
As a last resort yes, but before you do that, try to get it sorted with somebody who can do more than stare at a boarding pass. Try the Maple leaf Lounge first and explain your problem and ask them where to go to get it resolved.

1nsane, part of the problem may be if you have a non-AC printed boarding pass, it might not show the info so if you can get someone to reprint your boarding pass it might show the appropriate invitation.
vernonc and kalderlake like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 21, 2022 at 2:54 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:54 pm

1nsane, part of the problem may be if you have a non-AC printed boarding pass, it might not show the info so if you can get someone to reprint your boarding pass it might show the appropriate invitation.
has been reprinted with no success.

As a last resort yes, but before you do that, try to get it sorted with somebody who can do more than stare at a boarding pass. Try the Maple leaf Lounge first and explain your problem and ask them where to go to get it resolved.

Ok had a talk to a supervisor. She looked up the Fare Rules of this Ticket and said that Signature Lounge is excluded. What a mess ..

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 21, 2022 at 3:15 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
has been reprinted with no success.
I'm not sure why they're focusing on what's printed on your BP. They should be able to look up the booking and see that it's a revenue P class ticket.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok had a talk to a supervisor. She looked up the Fare Rules of this Ticket and said that Signature Lounge is excluded. What a mess ..
Sounds like you need to involve LH since they were the ones who created the ticket. Try calling them, going to the gate where the LH flight departs at 18:20 (not sure they'll be able to help you) or go landside.

Did they explain why the fare rules say it's excluded?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I can't find the fare rules for PNCDX7NL, but no LH group fare beginning with PNC that I looked up mentions anything about SS access in the fare rules. And it seems like an odd thing to include in the rules only for a specific fare.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I can't find the fare rules for PNCDX7NL, but no LH group fare beginning with PNC that I looked up mentions anything about SS access in the fare rules. And it seems like an odd thing to include in the rules only for a specific fare.
I wouldn't expect any non AC carrier to have any fare rules that even mention a partner's premium (not *g) lounge.....

I woud ask them to see something -- anything in writing saying this is excluded.... As above posts show, you are on a paid business ticket on AC metal.

I do wonder if crediting the miles to LH is confusing the system?
The Lev, Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1nsane , were you able to get your access to the Signature Suite sorted?

I hadn't noticed it before, but I just saw that you paid roughly 1,200 Euros (C$1,650) for this round trip flight from Europe to South America all in J, which tells me it was almost certainly a "mistake" fare - congrats on a great find. Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect there was some sort of manual intervention where they decided to honour the mistake fare, but somebody in their wisdom decided that at that price they weren't going to give you access to the Suite.

If you did not get access, I would certainly write in to Air Canada and complain about your mistreatment as a paid J passenger - if nothing else they'll likely give you a discount code for future flights. I'd also try to work von both LH and AC to ensure that you do get access on your flight home... even if it was a mistake fare it is still paid Business Class.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by The Lev; Nov 21, 2022 at 8:52 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
1nsane , were you able to get your access to the Signature Suite sorted?

I hadn't noticed it before, but I just saw that you paid roughly 1,200 Euros (C$1,650) for this round trip flight from Europe to South America all in J, which tells me it was almost certainly a "mistake" fare - congrats on a great find. Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect there was some sort of manual intervention where they decided to honour the mistake fare, but somebody in their wisdom decided that at that price they weren't going to give you access to the Suite.

If you did not get access, I would certainly write in to Air Canada and complain about your mistreatment as a paid J passenger - if nothing else they'll likely give you a discount code for future flights. I'd also try to work von both LH and AC to ensure that you do get access on your flight home... even if it was a mistake fare it is still paid Business Class.
I wouldnt say its a "mistake" per say if it was widely available over the course of a few weeks and numerous folks on the forum booked it. Main one was the one to BGI. A "mistake" would be the ex-BKK ones that AC honoured.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I hadn't noticed it before, but I just saw that you paid roughly 1,200 Euros (C$1,650) for this round trip flight from Europe to South America all in J, which tells me it was almost certainly a "mistake" fare - congrats on a great find.
Was not a mistake fare... this was the pricing structure through most of the year on AMS-SCL for LH fares.

OP - I would email Air Canada after your trip and complain about what happened. I don't see any reason you should have been denied access.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:28 am

Access was denied. Nobody could help accordingly. I guess on the way back the same problem will occur.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan

I am flying on a business class ticket from CUN to YYB via YYZ (with an overnight layover). I bought a business ticket, but the second leg doesn't have a business class. Will we still have access to the lounge in the morning? I've done this once before years ago and did, but can't seem to get clarity on it now.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 23, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Access was denied. Nobody could help accordingly. I guess on the way back the same problem will occur.
Contact AC now to get it resolved before your return flight. You might want to try their social media - people managing their Twitter can be much more responsive than Customer Service.

"Something along the lines of "Flew on a paid Business Class ticket from Amsterdam to Santiago via Toronto but was denied access to Signature Suite. Please resolve prior to my return flight on (insert date)."
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
I assume the answer is yes, but because the wiki just says "Australia" would YVR-AKL be SS-eligible? (in paid J of course)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.