Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (“MLLs”): essentially, regular lounges
  • Café: café-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers
Additionally, AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR for eligible customers.

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Notes:
  • YYZ Transborder: there are 2 MLLs, a full MLL right after US CBP and a second, small MLL near the regional gates
  • YYC Transborder: AC provides access to the Aspire lounge for status and J pax (no passes/credit cards)
  • YTZ Café: the Café at YTZ is an Aspire lounge (accessible via Priority Pass and other programs) co-branded by AC
  • EWR: the “MLL” is a co-branding of the United lounge in Terminal A; access rules are not entirely clear

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal they’re in, e.g. “YYZ Dom” is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US. (Passengers connecting in YVR between a domestic and US flight and following the connections path will enter the international departures area prior to the US area and although can physically access the international MLL, you will not be admitted and will be directed to the US area).

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

NEW Effective June 13, 2023
Access to Maple Leaf Lounges, Air Canada Cafés, and Signature Suites will be limited to three hours prior to scheduled departure time. Please note that this policy does not apply during flight connections or flight delays.

While it is not published at the time of writing this, the internal policy now exempts SEs and most passengers with reported disabilities (eg WCHR) from the three hour rule for Maple Leaf Lounges, but not the Signature Suite.

MLLs

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests; until June 1 2023 - no access on or after)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes(passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB - Assume your pass is not valid for any International lounge)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required, only for MLLs located within Canada and the US. No access to LHR, CDG, or FRA lounges):
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic MLLs in Canada, and MLLs in the USA, can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada mainline, rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesn’t matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if you’re on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is advertised as Signature Class, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, you’re not eligible. The only exception is Emirates First Class - see below.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets - note that only Air Canada can ticket Flexible reward tickets; the website may incorrectly display a partner reward as Flexible
  • First Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets when travelling on an Air Canada segment in Business Class
  • Emirates First Class (one guest)

Eligible destinations:
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia and New Zealand

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets
  • Anyone booked on a reward ticket through a partner airline, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an international Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an international flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafés

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Café) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (there is no business class service from YTZ, but a business class boarding pass for the subsequent flight enables access)
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Passengers arriving on a domestic flight with a connection to a US or international destination, although you can physically access the Café, you will not be admitted. eGates have been updated to enforce the access policy.

While it is not published, the internal policy exempts SEs from that requirement, so you should be admitted.

LHR Arrivals Lounge

AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR, accessible to the following customers upon exiting the baggage hall in Terminal 2:
  • Business Class (Including upgrades to J)
  • Aeroplan Super Elite (one guest) when arriving on an Air Canada flight.
Print Wikipost

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Adamsimms
Does anyone know if they are planning on making a Signature Suite in Montreal YUL?
I have the same question. AC is adding more France destinations and has become more attractive to me, but they are of course sourced at YUL. Is there a plan to add Signature service to these flights from YUL?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by stimpy
I have the same question. AC is adding more France destinations and has become more attractive to me, but they are of course sourced at YUL. Is there a plan to add Signature service to these flights from YUL?
I'm sure it is on the back of someones napkin, but until there is an opening date less than a month away announced, I'd not be making travel plans one way or another on it existing.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Which flights don't have Signature Service?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Which flights don't have Signature Service?
Well I meant both in the air and on the ground, with a Signature lounge at YUL.

I'm not an expert here, but from what I understand some of the flights to France have Signature seats and some do not.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Well I meant both in the air and on the ground, with a Signature lounge at YUL.

I'm not an expert here, but from what I understand some of the flights to France have Signature seats and some do not.
All widebody flights have lay flat suites and Signature Service.
canadiancow and WithIntent like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Not that I would be able to (still stuck at YVR right now), but I would not want to go to YYZ lounges tomorrow morning.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan | Flying Blue | Miles & More | AA
YYZ MLL with 3 year old

I’ve been looking but keep finding contradictory details online. I have MLL passes for my husband and I but do we need one for our 3 year old too? Some info says under 12 included, some says everyone under 25 is a minor and our pass says a minor needs their own but not the age range. I assume our 3 month old won’t be asked for one

“- Valid for one person, for one visit, at Maple Leaf Lounges™ located in the domestic and
transborder departure zones of Canadian airports and in Los Angeles, New York LaGuardia
and Newark airports only, when presented in conjunction with a confirmed same-day
departing ticket for a scheduled flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under
the Air Canada Express® brand only.
- Additional guests are not permitted using this pass.
- Minors using this pass must be accompanied by an adult with their own access or pass to
the lounge.
- Access is subject to space availability. Not valid for entry into the Air Canada Signature Suite
and the Air Canada Café.
- This pass cannot be sold, is not replaceable if lost or stolen and is not redeemable for cash
or other consideration.”
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I had a PE ticket to Europte. Called and paid the diff to J. My BP says lounge access but not Signature lounge access. Should I have access and what should I be looking for on the ticket or BP ? Don't want to waste my time arguing at the door if I do not have access.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
I had a PE ticket to Europte. Called and paid the diff to J. My BP says lounge access but not Signature lounge access. Should I have access and what should I be looking for on the ticket or BP ? Don't want to waste my time arguing at the door if I do not have access.
If you paid to upfare your class (vs a bid upgrade, etc) then I would have expected that you should have access. What does the cow tool say that your current fare class is?
WithIntent likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Has anyone gotten YYZ lounge access on a Eurowings Discover J ticket booked through AC? I've accepted them as a change on a longer Aeroplan itinerary for travel next week and prepared to accept the consequences, but it would be nice to know before embarrassing myself with the MLL gatekeeper.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
If you paid to upfare your class (vs a bid upgrade, etc) then I would have expected that you should have access. What does the cow tool say that your current fare class is?
I did not check the cowtool but at checkin at the Concierge desk, the Concierge believes that the booking agent did a LMU for me despite her saying that it was fare diff. Anyway, already in Europe so water under the bridge.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
I did not check the cowtool but at checkin at the Concierge desk, the Concierge believes that the booking agent did a LMU for me despite her saying that it was fare diff. Anyway, already in Europe so water under the bridge.
The fare class (and basis) would be really useful here, otherwise it's all speculation.

But when did you do the upfare? LMUs are only possible in the check-in process, and I do not believe res has access to that.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
We all know (and if we don't, it's in the wiki) that 50K and higher can access a departures MLL (where accessible) as an arrivals MLL.
But I've also heard various crazy, wild, impossibru situations where the lounge isn't at capacity and 50K and/or 75Ks being turned away because "only Super Elites can access the lounge upon arrival".

Any 50K/75K with recent positive/negative experiences? My sister (who is a 50K) asked me if she can use the lounge upon arrival at YVR Dom and I told her yes she can, but I wanted to double check here if there's been any recent cases of I work at the Airport agent fun.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The fare class (and basis) would be really useful here, otherwise it's all speculation.

But when did you do the upfare? LMUs are only possible in the check-in process, and I do not believe res has access to that.
It was less than 24hrs before my flight. She had to remove my eupg to get me a price and then did the upfare or LMU.
So I assume a LMU was done.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Any 50K/75K with recent positive/negative experiences? My sister (who is a 50K) asked me if she can use the lounge upon arrival at YVR Dom and I told her yes she can, but I wanted to double check here if there's been any recent cases of I work at the Airport agent fun.
I did this on Monday night at YVR, no problems. Just scanned my boarding pass and they were happy to let me on my way. If its worth anything, I did the same thing at LGA on Friday. Both times brought a guest and I'm a 75K.
Cheers
yyznomad and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.