Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (“MLLs”): essentially, regular lounges
  • Café: café-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers
Additionally, AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR for eligible customers.

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Notes:
  • YYZ Transborder: there are 2 MLLs, a full MLL right after US CBP and a second, small MLL near the regional gates
  • YYC Transborder: AC provides access to the Aspire lounge for status and J pax (no passes/credit cards)
  • YTZ Café: the Café at YTZ is an Aspire lounge (accessible via Priority Pass and other programs) co-branded by AC
  • EWR: the “MLL” is a co-branding of the United lounge in Terminal A; access rules are not entirely clear

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal they’re in, e.g. “YYZ Dom” is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US. (Passengers connecting in YVR between a domestic and US flight and following the connections path will enter the international departures area prior to the US area and although can physically access the international MLL, you will not be admitted and will be directed to the US area).

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

NEW Effective June 13, 2023
Access to Maple Leaf Lounges, Air Canada Cafés, and Signature Suites will be limited to three hours prior to scheduled departure time. Please note that this policy does not apply during flight connections or flight delays.

While it is not published at the time of writing this, the internal policy now exempts SEs and most passengers with reported disabilities (eg WCHR) from the three hour rule for Maple Leaf Lounges, but not the Signature Suite.

MLLs

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests; until June 1 2023 - no access on or after)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes(passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB - Assume your pass is not valid for any International lounge)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required, only for MLLs located within Canada and the US. No access to LHR, CDG, or FRA lounges):
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic MLLs in Canada, and MLLs in the USA, can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada mainline, rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesn’t matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if you’re on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is advertised as Signature Class, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, you’re not eligible. The only exception is Emirates First Class - see below.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets - note that only Air Canada can ticket Flexible reward tickets; the website may incorrectly display a partner reward as Flexible
  • First Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets when travelling on an Air Canada segment in Business Class
  • Emirates First Class (one guest)

Eligible destinations:
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia and New Zealand

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets
  • Anyone booked on a reward ticket through a partner airline, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an international Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an international flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafés

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Café) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (there is no business class service from YTZ, but a business class boarding pass for the subsequent flight enables access)
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Passengers arriving on a domestic flight with a connection to a US or international destination, although you can physically access the Café, you will not be admitted. eGates have been updated to enforce the access policy.

While it is not published, the internal policy exempts SEs from that requirement, so you should be admitted.

LHR Arrivals Lounge

AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR, accessible to the following customers upon exiting the baggage hall in Terminal 2:
  • Business Class (Including upgrades to J)
  • Aeroplan Super Elite (one guest) when arriving on an Air Canada flight.
Print Wikipost

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Went to YVR-DOM MLL on September 28, 2022, at 11:30. I would describe it as at 150% of capacity. 100% of all sitting spaces were full and the rest of the lounge looked like a San Sebastian tapas bar with people standing and eating small bites off plates.
Hmmm...it's all coming together now.

I had the same experience in YYZ domestic last week. The lounge cleared out as soon as the YVR flight started boarding.

Conclusion: the problem is all the Vancouver people.
zrh2yvr likes this.

Last edited by zorn; Oct 5, 2022 at 9:45 am
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:41 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by zorn
Conclusion: the problem is all the Vancouver people.
Absolutely! And you're welcome!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zorn
In the thread about zoned boarding, this email excerpt on the airline's view of the matter was posted:
So in theory it should resolve itself over time. As frequency increases, connection times will shrink. And as general chaos returns to semi-chaos, people will stop showing up 6 hours early.

But I'd still like to see some kind of "zone 1" bypass for long lounge lines.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So in theory it should resolve itself over time. As frequency increases, connection times will shrink. And as general chaos returns to semi-chaos, people will stop showing up 6 hours early.

But I'd still like to see some kind of "zone 1" bypass for long lounge lines.
Of note I also mentioned the creation of more elites through various promotions and carryovers in the e-mail before mentioning credit cards and they conveniently did not respond to that part...
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
I'm not even sure we have consensus on mixed cabin bookings. There have been contradictory examples provided in the timeframe covered by this thread. It seems it's more of a YOLO.

Access on arrival is pretty straightforward. If you're 50K+, you can access any domestic or transborder MLL on arrival.
50K+ can access all Domestic and TB lounges (in Canada and US) upon arrival?

I thought it was just Domestic MLLs (in Canada).
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by c224488
50K+ can access all Domestic and TB lounges (in Canada and US) upon arrival?

I thought it was just Domestic MLLs (in Canada).
Well you wouldn't have physical access to pre-clearance areas, but you're allowed in the ones in the US.
c224488 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (through United MileagePlus), DragonPass (through HSBC Jade)
Pretty sure I am just adding more evidence to something that is already apparent.

Went to YVR-DOM MLL on September 28, 2022, at 11:30. I would describe it as at 150% of capacity. 100% of all sitting spaces were full and the rest of the lounge looked like a San Sebastian tapas bar with people standing and eating small bites off plates.

I walked out . . and took a seat in the sparsely setup Plaza Premium "lounge" at the top of the concourse stairs. At least I got a seat to myself and was served a drink . . . .
I've been to the YVR domestic MLL 3 times over the past month (September 8/11 and October 3) and there was a decent crowd, but I wouldn't say it was at capacity like the YUL domestic MLL, which has been at/over capacity during my visits earlier this year (April 26, May 19). My gripes with the YVR domestic lounge are that there's no business centre (unlike the MLL in Calgary/Edmonton where there are cubicles/desks) and the same poor hot food items seem to be served over and over again (cream of mushroom soup, chicken penne, slices of a pretty lousy flatbread, and some sweet/sour rice), which may have made me sick during my visits on September 8 and October 3 (and I like to think that I have a pretty strong stomach after habitually consuming street food in developing countries). Never had an issue with the two other YVR MLLs, but I'll be going to the Plaza Premium Lounge instead the next time I'm waiting in the YVR domestic terminal.

I can't help but notice that I walk right by the international MLL in YVR every time before getting to the USA preclearance area and the USA preclearance MLL. I saw the wiki pinned in this thread, but just to confirm, I would be turned away from the MLL in the international section of YVR if I am flying to the USA? I was tempted to stop there instead this past Friday if my connection to the USA (SFO) wasn't so tight. My last visit to the international MLL in YVR was in February 2020, when I was going from YYC-YVR-HND, and I stopped at the MLL in the domestic area, followed by the MLL in the international area with no problems (YVR to HND leg was with ANA, YYC to YVR with Air Canada).
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:03 am

Pretty sure I am just adding more evidence to something that is already apparent.

I walked out . . and took a seat in the sparsely setup Plaza Premium "lounge" at the top of the concourse stairs. At least I got a seat to myself and was served a drink . . . .

Also - at checkin - - the Kiosks were relatively empty there were ~70 people in line for "priority" checkin with 4 people in the SE line. We all basically joked that everyone should just use the kiosks . . .
YVR MLL is almost empty from around 9PM and beyond for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by newbl
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the closing time of the YVR Domestic Maple Leaf Lounge? Online sources have varying times, from 10pm-11:30pm, while the lounge phone line seems to have an hour hold time...

Thanks,
Well, it's now 11pm, and the YVR MLL shows no sign of shutting down, so I guess I answered my own question. The AC App indicates the lounge is closed too lol...
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Of note I also mentioned the creation of more elites through various promotions and carryovers in the e-mail before mentioning credit cards and they conveniently did not respond to that part...
What would also be interesting is how many people have gained status, or uptiered status, thanks to their credit cards, and are able to visit the lounges more often as a result.
  • Lots of people have had the opportunity to get status over the past few years with little to no flight activity
    • It seemed that everyone who held Aeroplan top status (what was it, Diamond?), but no AC status, was given AC 25K in 2020. Those people would all still be at least 25K given COVID extensions
    • New Chase Aeroplan customers are getting 25K for signing up for the card
    • Everyday Status Qualification
    • How many low-volume flyers are getting to $3K or more SQD and only hitting SQM/SQS requirements through status boost on their cards? I recently found out a dentist I know got 35K last year on 6 BIS segments (TB/sun, so not big SQM) and a boatload of status boost (lots of business expenses through the card)
  • The spend $10K promo last year allowed 25Ks to become 35Ks (couple lounge passes a year becomes unlimited Dom/TB MLL access, plus passes) and 35Ks to become 50Ks (TB/MLL access only is now access to all MLLs plus Cafe plus arrivals)

So in my view, when we talk about "credit cards" being a problem, it's not just people with the premium cards or card-derived passes.
D582, canadiancow, YYC3722 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100k
Does anyone know if they are planning on making a Signature Suite in Montreal YUL?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Flying in J YVR-FRA on a UAL award ticket. Was given Signature access. Not sure if things have changed since wiki was written, but it looks like that shouldn't have happened. Not that I'm complaining.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Asquared1
Flying in J YVR-FRA on a UAL award ticket. Was given Signature access. Not sure if things have changed since wiki was written, but it looks like that shouldn't have happened. Not that I'm complaining.
Consider yourself very fortunate.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Someone posted the following in an Aeroplan-related FB group re: changes to lounge access in the coming years...

this might not help your feelings but there are currently plans to take away lounge access / lower baggage allowance (not related to status or card holder benefits) for all non signature class basic business fares…. As well as not being able to access with status…. You’ll have to either have a lounge membership or a premium Aeroplan card…. This is in the stages of development but it’s on its way which unfortunately makes sense considering how the us market operates and how profitable it can be
Also any upgrades from other cabins won’t qualify for entry like eupgrades and bidding…. Expect it from 2025-2027 and no earlier than Q2 2024

Not sure where they've gotten this information from or it's legitimacy..
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Someone posted the following in an Aeroplan-related FB group re: changes to lounge access in the coming years...

Not sure where they've gotten this information from or it's legitimacy..
So the MLL will have the same entry requirements as the SS? And AC is basically stepping out of *A for lounges?

Yeah okay.
chrisny2, D582, YYC3722 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
So the MLL will have the same entry requirements as the SS? And AC is basically stepping out of *A for lounges?

Yeah okay.
Not even remotely believable IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.