Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Status upgraded to 35K with Canadian Address on profile.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Along with the others above, status updated to 75K today. Received email saying welcome package with luggage tags will be forthcoming. Can select my options in the app.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Along with the others above, status updated to 75K today. Received email saying welcome package with luggage tags will be forthcoming. Can select my options in the app.
Status updated overnight. No e-upgrades. Yes received an email. Got my 3 MLL lounge guest passes which all expire 12/31/21.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Oct 2, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 2, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Where’s the thread for status benefits that are the best value? I guess it is a little different for those of us who don’t travel on AC as much, but received these benefits.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Matched WN CP to 75K; status is active as of this morning. Now to figure out when I want to do a quick YYZ turn to lock in *A Gold for 2022.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Matched AA EXP to 75K status. Got the email this morning and was able to select my benefits.

I had a one way trip from ORD>YYZ booked (return was on AA). With this promotion I was able to add on a return, and make it a round trip ticket without the outbound flight repricing. So now I will satisfy that requirement.

Am I supposed to get free seats as a 75K? The agent selected seats, but said the system was still trying to charge. She overrode it, and I saw the seats on my confirmation email, but now when I go into my reservation, they are gone, and trying to charge me to select a seat.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 2, 2021 at 2:14 pm Reason: Move eUpgrade question to eUpgrade thread
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Got my AA CK status matched to Super Elite. Have not done my benefit selection yet.

Have a work trip to Seattle coming up. I'll tack a SEA to YVR lunch round trip to try out some legit dim sum in Chinatown. Submitted request on Wednesday at 9 PM CST, confirmed status match in 2 hours at 11 PM CST. Online status switched Saturday morning - so 4 business days.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by iansltx
Matched WN CP to 75K; status is active as of this morning. Now to figure out when I want to do a quick YYZ turn to lock in *A Gold for 2022.
I used Google flights price graph to find the cheapest same day ticket (early November from South Florida).
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
Got my AA CK status matched to Super Elite. Have not done my benefit selection yet.

Have a work trip to Seattle coming up. I'll tack a SEA to YVR lunch round trip to try out some legit dim sum in Chinatown. Submitted request on Wednesday at 9 PM CST, confirmed status match in 2 hours at 11 PM CST. Online status switched Saturday morning - so 4 business days.
Don’t forget the PCR test necessary to enter Canada. You can also use the same test to reenter USA if within 3 days.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Don’t forget the PCR test necessary to enter Canada. You can also use the same test to reenter USA if within 3 days.
Thank you; keep reverting my mind to pre-pandemic. I'll get the PCR in Seattle before heading out for the foodie run.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Am I supposed to get free seats as a 75K? The agent selected seats, but said the system was still trying to charge. She overrode it, and I saw the seats on my confirmation email, but now when I go into my reservation, they are gone, and trying to charge me to select a seat.
See here for benefits of 75k. Looks like all seats aren’t free. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...tatus/75k.html

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 2, 2021 at 2:14 pm Reason: Move eUpgrade question to eUpgrade thread
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:53 pm

Got my status update email to 50K status.
Here's the benefits options, choose 2:
2 status passes or 20 eUpgrade credits or Lower requalification level or 50% more Aeroplan
Also received 1 MLL pass
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A friendly moderator note:

Let's please try to keep this thread to the topic of the status match program itself.

For those looking for a general discussion of their new AC status privileges and which benefits to select, there is an annual thread: 2021 AC Status Privileges (@safari ari, I think that answers your question)

For information or questions on different components of the Aeroplan program, there are generally specific threads for each benefit; eUpgrades, for example, are discussed in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...0-onwards.html There are also threads on priority rewards, status passes, etc...

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Looking for life advice:

I fly paid Y DFW-YUL-YQB-YUL-SFO starting Monday.

I’m a United Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold and Southwest Companion Pass + A-List. Also have a United Club membership for what it is worth. I’ve earned 2021-2022 United status.

•Does it make sense for me to use my AS or WN to qualify for this promotion?

•Or is it better to just credit my flights to my default *G UA account?

Know AC is famous for being parsimonious with other airline *G members.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
•Does it make sense for me to use my AS or WN to qualify for this promotion?
Why not? Only downside is you can't status match to AC for 2 years after this.

•Or is it better to just credit my flights to my default *G UA account?
Depending on how important these miles are for you to towards UA status or RDMs, you could consider crediting this trip to UA and booking a separate cheap trip on AC at a different time.

Beware that you can't retro credit flights from before you signed up for Aeroplan. So if you're even considering it, take 2 minutes to create an Aeroplan account now.

You can always leave your FFP # off the ticket, flash your UA card to access the lounges, and decide where to credit later.

Know AC is famous for being parsimonious with other airline *G members.
In what way? I don't think AC treats OAL *G noticeably worse or better than UA or other *A carriers.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 3, 2021 at 1:23 pm Reason: Corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.