FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2053714-canada-lure-u-s-frequent-flyers-matching-travel-perks-air-canada.html)

tcook052 Sep 27, 2021 7:04 am

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

https://www.reuters.com/world/the-gr...da-2021-09-27/

MONTREAL, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Canada is trying to use the lure of travel perks to convince America's frequent flying elite to fly north on Air Canada (AC.TO), as the country steps up efforts to revive crucial traffic from the United States, a Canadian official told Reuters.

COVID-19 has battered travel from Canada's largest tourism market. During the first half of 2021, Canada had about 178,000 overnight arrivals from the United States, compared with 6.8 million during the same period in 2019, according to government data.

To help reverse that decline, government tourism body, Destination Canada will, roll out on Monday its first campaign targeting U.S. frequent fliers.

TechnoTourist Sep 27, 2021 7:20 am

More details at https://canada.statusmatch.com/faq/

Stil Sep 27, 2021 8:09 am

Make it more broad for us frequent flyers to Canada with eilte status other then the US. Us that actually fly AC, but live on another continent.

I would really like a AC bag tag :p

Happy for you that can take advantage of it!

Symmetre Sep 27, 2021 9:23 am

Good luck trying to convince US frequent fliers to embrace the flying sardine can we call rouge, which normally operates the bulk of AC's trans-border routes.

krazykanuck Sep 27, 2021 9:23 am

Pretty good deal. Will probably do this, more so to have the foreign Star Gold than anything else since it opens the doors to United Clubs. Now need to figure which tick the box AC metal route I want to fly.

mendacio Sep 27, 2021 9:49 am

Faced with a dilemma. I'm 5989 miles away from MVP75k (in seattle), and it seems like 50k starts getting good with aeroplan because of lounge access, SA Gold. Would you try to do a transcon mileage run (SEA-east coast) to secure 75k before the match? Looking at tickets, the soonest i could do it is october 10th, or 15-20th. Think it'll be gone by then?

zdfld Sep 27, 2021 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mendacio (Post 33599924)
Faced with a dilemma. I'm 5989 miles away from MVP75k (in seattle), and it seems like 50k starts getting good with aeroplan because of lounge access, SA Gold. Would you try to do a transcon mileage run (SEA-east coast) to secure 75k before the match? Looking at tickets, the soonest i could do it is october 10th, or 15-20th. Think it'll be gone by then?

I'm also waiting until I hit 75k to try. But that's because I only have one AC flight planned, and rarely fly United or Star alliance. Can't say if it'll still be around by then, but imo, it either is gone this week, or it sticks around till Nov/Dec. I think it's more likely to stick around.

Since Alaska has the 50% bonus, have you considered either a RT to the Midwest + PDX run, or maybe a mileage run up and down the West Coast? Doesn't save much time, but may cost less.

jjclancy Sep 27, 2021 10:32 am

Pleased to see this paired with transborder lounge reopenings!

safari ari Sep 27, 2021 10:52 am

Just submitted mine for 75K, will be helpful as I actually have a UA flight in the coming weeks, so hopefully can at least get better seat selection closer to the front.

FYI, I had my name in my Aeroplan account "Mr Safari Ari", when matching it returned an error that the information did not match the Aeroplan account. I went in and removed the name title, and fixed the mapping.

Finkface Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am

I am 75k with AS. I can knock out a same day round trip YVR-YYC for $111. I read through the status match page and it just says the below. I can’t see anything as far as requirements (length, dollar amount etc) other than just one round trip. Any reason to think this won’t work?
  • To keep your Status beyond December 31, 2021, you must book and fly 1 return trip travelling with Air Canada before midnight on the January 15, 2022. You will then have your status extended until December 31, 2022. If you do not complete the return trip before December 31, 2021, you will lose the Elite status for the period between January 1-15 2022, but your status will be returned as soon as the flight is processed. Please allow for 5 business days post flight for change to be processed.

jjclancy Sep 27, 2021 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 33600118)
Any reason to think this won’t work?

You'll need a US profile address, but otherwise looks good to me.

Finkface Sep 27, 2021 11:56 am

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 33600072)
Just submitted mine for 75K, will be helpful as I actually have a UA flight in the coming weeks, so hopefully can at least get better seat selection closer to the front.

FYI, I had my name in my Aeroplan account "Mr Safari Ari", when matching it returned an error that the information did not match the Aeroplan account. I went in and removed the name title, and fixed the mapping.

I got the same error. How did you fix the mapping?
Edit: never mind. Figured it out and all approved.

sydneyracquelle Sep 27, 2021 12:09 pm

Are 2 one ways good enough to count as a round trip for eligibility?

nighthawk06si Sep 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 33600318)
Are 2 one ways good enough to count as a round trip for eligibility?

I have that question as well but it doesn’t say so I might just pay for the round trip to be safe since it’s a US to Canada flight.

All the details and terms are either very relax or very vague for this status match promotion.

sydneyracquelle Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm

I submitted my info and in less than 5 minutes(!) I was approved. It says to allow up to 5 business days to reflect my new status. Two one ways would be much better for me than a round trip so I might just have to do a dummy mileage run from YYZ>YXU>YYZ one Saturday before the end of the year. FYI nowhere does it say/prove that I reside in USA nor did they ever ask. Therefore people who qualify and reside in Canada or overseas should also apply.