Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.reuters.com/world/the-gr...da-2021-09-27/

MONTREAL, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Canada is trying to use the lure of travel perks to convince America's frequent flying elite to fly north on Air Canada (AC.TO), as the country steps up efforts to revive crucial traffic from the United States, a Canadian official told Reuters.

COVID-19 has battered travel from Canada's largest tourism market. During the first half of 2021, Canada had about 178,000 overnight arrivals from the United States, compared with 6.8 million during the same period in 2019, according to government data.

To help reverse that decline, government tourism body, Destination Canada will, roll out on Monday its first campaign targeting U.S. frequent fliers.
yyznomad, SKYEG and Stil like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
More details at https://canada.statusmatch.com/faq/
Stil likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:09 am

Make it more broad for us frequent flyers to Canada with eilte status other then the US. Us that actually fly AC, but live on another continent.

I would really like a AC bag tag

Happy for you that can take advantage of it!
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Good luck trying to convince US frequent fliers to embrace the flying sardine can we call rouge, which normally operates the bulk of AC's trans-border routes.
Markie and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pretty good deal. Will probably do this, more so to have the foreign Star Gold than anything else since it opens the doors to United Clubs. Now need to figure which tick the box AC metal route I want to fly.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Aeroplan 50k, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Faced with a dilemma. I'm 5989 miles away from MVP75k (in seattle), and it seems like 50k starts getting good with aeroplan because of lounge access, SA Gold. Would you try to do a transcon mileage run (SEA-east coast) to secure 75k before the match? Looking at tickets, the soonest i could do it is october 10th, or 15-20th. Think it'll be gone by then?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mendacio
Faced with a dilemma. I'm 5989 miles away from MVP75k (in seattle), and it seems like 50k starts getting good with aeroplan because of lounge access, SA Gold. Would you try to do a transcon mileage run (SEA-east coast) to secure 75k before the match? Looking at tickets, the soonest i could do it is october 10th, or 15-20th. Think it'll be gone by then?
I'm also waiting until I hit 75k to try. But that's because I only have one AC flight planned, and rarely fly United or Star alliance. Can't say if it'll still be around by then, but imo, it either is gone this week, or it sticks around till Nov/Dec. I think it's more likely to stick around.

Since Alaska has the 50% bonus, have you considered either a RT to the Midwest + PDX run, or maybe a mileage run up and down the West Coast? Doesn't save much time, but may cost less.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:32 am

Pleased to see this paired with transborder lounge reopenings!
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Just submitted mine for 75K, will be helpful as I actually have a UA flight in the coming weeks, so hopefully can at least get better seat selection closer to the front.

FYI, I had my name in my Aeroplan account "Mr Safari Ari", when matching it returned an error that the information did not match the Aeroplan account. I went in and removed the name title, and fixed the mapping.
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Sep 27, 2021 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am 75k with AS. I can knock out a same day round trip YVR-YYC for $111. I read through the status match page and it just says the below. I can’t see anything as far as requirements (length, dollar amount etc) other than just one round trip. Any reason to think this won’t work?
  • To keep your Status beyond December 31, 2021, you must book and fly 1 return trip travelling with Air Canada before midnight on the January 15, 2022. You will then have your status extended until December 31, 2022. If you do not complete the return trip before December 31, 2021, you will lose the Elite status for the period between January 1-15 2022, but your status will be returned as soon as the flight is processed. Please allow for 5 business days post flight for change to be processed.
margarita girl, lsquare and nootka like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Any reason to think this won’t work?
You'll need a US profile address, but otherwise looks good to me.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by safari ari
Just submitted mine for 75K, will be helpful as I actually have a UA flight in the coming weeks, so hopefully can at least get better seat selection closer to the front.

FYI, I had my name in my Aeroplan account "Mr Safari Ari", when matching it returned an error that the information did not match the Aeroplan account. I went in and removed the name title, and fixed the mapping.
I got the same error. How did you fix the mapping?
Edit: never mind. Figured it out and all approved.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:09 pm

Are 2 one ways good enough to count as a round trip for eligibility?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Are 2 one ways good enough to count as a round trip for eligibility?
I have that question as well but it doesn’t say so I might just pay for the round trip to be safe since it’s a US to Canada flight.

All the details and terms are either very relax or very vague for this status match promotion.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:22 pm

I submitted my info and in less than 5 minutes(!) I was approved. It says to allow up to 5 business days to reflect my new status. Two one ways would be much better for me than a round trip so I might just have to do a dummy mileage run from YYZ>YXU>YYZ one Saturday before the end of the year. FYI nowhere does it say/prove that I reside in USA nor did they ever ask. Therefore people who qualify and reside in Canada or overseas should also apply.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 27, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.