Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I suppose this down to catering rather than cabin crew but honestly what makes the meal most drawn out is having the cheese served at -20 and having to wait until it warms up to a temperature where it can be tasted at all. ...

And yet they never seem to have trouble finding space for all the meals when they shrink the seats and squeeze more passengers in. They went to over 450 on the 777HD and still managed to have food for everyone when there was profit in it... It seems a bit of a stretch to think they couldn't squeeze both a slice of carrot cake and three pieces of fruit for all of 30-40 business class passengers on a 777.
I agree.

And while it’s nice to learn from AC’s perspective, it’s even better for me to simply note down the airlines that can serve multi course meals efficiently and the ones which always allow me to pick multiple dessert choices.
Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
On AC 122 YVR-YYZ yesterday the SD said it's cheese or dessert or fruit, but I could have my second pick if there was extra after everyone was served. After reminding her a fair bit later, she brought a cheese plate. It's not great that way as it disrupts the flow of things (you're holding onto the empty plate and cuttlery after they've finished the main service and have retreated to the galley).

I asked a friend in AC management to clarify and he mentioned that they attempt to load enough of the cheese plates for all J pax and then load a quantity of dessert and fruit plates to mirror the expected ratio of demand for each. If there are no catering errors/shortages, everyone should be able to get a cheese plate and then their pick of dessert or fruit. He said they haven't reduced the offerring or the amounts loaded to cut costs. That said, there are a number of issues with GateGourmet lately for all carriers worldwide due to understaffing and supply chain, and there is also the (potential?) labor action.

He clarified that the cheese, fruit plate, and dessert item, plus the port (which previously was part of the cheese service) and the coffee/tea (previously part of the dessert/fruit service), are now offered on the same trolly to reduce contact points between crew/pax due to covid, not to discourage getting your cheese entitlement (). Obviously crew re-entering the cabin to give you the cheese plate loaded for your seat is counterproductive to the aim of reducing contact points, but may be justified if there was a catering issue/shortage. But it may also be due to crew wanting the food or training issues, which are not so justified. Unfortunately you wouldn't really know.

Given that AC is already paying for the food, and this is their "signature class", it's really up to them to maintain their own standards -- whether to manage the catering vendor or ensure FAs/SDs know what the meal offering consists of. It would be nice to see more consistentcy... which might be a big ask, given the myriad of delays and cancelations these days 🙂
Thanks for the clarification but anyway I wrote AC about this unacceptable cheese or dessert or fruit BS. If they want to reduce contact points, they can just do a simple second tray service with all three items pre-plated. Austrian Airlines served this second half tray with all three components together - a piece of cake, cheese plate, and fruit bowl all together for a while but now they are back to the normal trolley service and you can have as much dessert as you desire. As of this point, I tried to book myself on as many AC-codeshare flights flown by their Star Alliance partners as possible, so I can still get the SQD. My next European trip will involve NO AC operating transatlantic segments and for my AC transcontinental flights, they are all breakfast flights. I will not fly any AC transpacific flights till they resume full cheese and fruit board, along with dessert. Covid-19 is not an acceptable excuse now.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Aug 9, 2022 at 3:57 am
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I suppose this down to catering rather than cabin crew but honestly what makes the meal most drawn out is having the cheese served at -20 and having to wait until it warms up to a temperature where it can be tasted at all. ...
But that's so horrible... everytime I read something like this, it reminds me of the video below... I'm not saying it's the right thing to do (they could always take it out of the fridge beforehand to let it get to room temperature) but consider how this sounds...

Nitehawk, YOWgary and EdmFlyBoi like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:28 am

Cheese or pudding is like being downgraded to British Airways who played this game for several years. They have now apparently seen the error of their ways and restored both.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
YUL - LGA on A220, afternoon flight

The flight was delayed for 2 hours due to late inbound flight (due to maintenance issue). Catering screwed up, so only water in plastic cups was available.

Revenue customers got the snack box of chicken sandwich with tomato and cucumber and some kind of creamy dressing, couscous with dried cranberries, and berry pound cake.

The non-revs, who got the lucky upgrade, got a lovely bag of almonds. The non-rev next to me was confused on why she was not served a box.
Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:46 pm

July
YVR-YUL
Beef and chicken meals.

Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
YYZ-YQY - Frittata
YQY-YYZ - Pancake
Both morning flights on a CRJ900.

Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
They had sparkling wine (full black bottle of bottega so I guess Prosecco) on a 737 max YVR-YYC. I never seen that offered for such a. Short flight in J before. Just like the mini gold bottles that they sell In Y. Half the J cabin took it, SD said it was something they are rolling out to shorter routes. Maybe it’s been around before but it’s the first time I’ve been offered it on that route in 10+ years flying it. It could be that I just don’t pay enough attention lol For that route I usually skip the snack and any service.

Pleasant surprises but yeah the Prosecco sucked lol 😂
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Mainline has had prosecco on those short flights since the return of booze in the pandemic. First gold, then the downgraded black bottle. I find that they don't offer it proactively, or even bring it on the cart. If you ask, it's there. I do a lot of western triangle flying.
SKYEG and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Mainline has had prosecco on those short flights since the return of booze in the pandemic. First gold, then the downgraded black bottle. I find that they don't offer it proactively, or even bring it on the cart. If you ask, it's there. I do a lot of western triangle flying.
It was the first time I've seen it on the cart! Didn't realize the black bottle was a downgrade from the gold(considering the gold isn't good either lol)!

There's no other airlines in NA that serve sparkling in such short flights so kudos to AC
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
It was the first time I've seen it on the cart! Didn't realize the black bottle was a downgrade from the gold(considering the gold isn't good either lol)!

There's no other airlines in NA that serve sparkling in such short flights so kudos to AC
As mentioned, it's been on every mainline flight for two years.

United has Prosecco on every mainline flight (the majority of mine are intra-California). I haven't flown anyone else enough to comment.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Business CRJ

• Flew YVR to YXE today
  • cheese plate had crackers real crackers but not in a package and they were soggy from moisture

Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm thrilled to see that AC has eliminated the chicken sausages from the pancake option.

Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So they've just removed the meat, but not replaced it?
Nitehawk and commaspace like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
YYZ-YVR last week
APPETIZER - Smoked tuna, potatoes, kale, mixed greens, soy-ginger dressing Served with roasted cauliflower salad and warm bread
MAIN COURSE - Cod, arrabbiata sauce, rice and quinoa blend, peppers, rapini

Both courses were very yum.
Carfield likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.