Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by capedreamer
What gave you reason to believe that AC would cancel / change the flight?
The destination is ZRH. If people cancelled their trips due to the new government advisory, I was hoping AC would cancel flight and route me through LHR or FRA. I can see that over the last week, the number of J seats available has increased and R space has gone from 0 to 6.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by fbrdky
The destination is ZRH. If people cancelled their trips due to the new government advisory, I was hoping AC would cancel flight and route me through LHR or FRA. I can see that over the last week, the number of J seats available has increased and R space has gone from 0 to 6.
There is lobster, moose and bullion to get to ZRH and Canadians and chocolate to get home. The aircraft will fly if it's allowed to land.

As for R space opening up, that just as easily explained as revenue management figuring paid J can't be sold and are transferring to get some points or eUps used.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 19, 2021 at 9:28 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
So question for all and thanks for help in the past on this thread. I have re-read the Air Canada schedule change policy and I can't find reference to a specific scenario. I have an 014 ticket for YYC-LHR-AUH where LHR-AUH is in EY F. Well, it was. F appears to either have been discontinued on the route, or moved to once a day. The once a day routing (if operating) would involve a 12 hour layover at LHR. Not good. What I can't find in the AC policy is any reference to downgrading from F, or if the downgrade occurs on a segment operated by another airline. If this was a downgrade from J (on AC), I believe it would be entitled to ask for a schedule change if I didn't want to fly Y. Can I presume the same holds true for F on another airline? Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:26 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Booked DUS-MUC-YYZ-RDU with DUS-MUC-YYZ booked as AC codeshare operated by LH.
The DUS-MUC flight changed to 40 minutes earlier; and the AC rebooking engine now thinks it’s a great idea to have me fly MUC-YYZ on AC 867 instead. I’m pretty sure a 20-minute Schengen-to-non Schengen connection is illegal.

The YYZ-RDU flight being moved to the next day is also a nice touch, but that is change is natural since AC canceled the late night flight to RDU.

The AC website offers zero alternative flights even though there are DUS-FRA-YYZ and DUS-LHR-YYZ routings available.

Last edited by WindowSeatFlyer; Dec 21, 2021 at 10:36 am
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
The DUS-MUC flight changed to 40 minutes earlier; and the AC rebooking engine now thinks it’s a great idea to have me fly MUC-YYZ on AC 867 instead. I’m pretty sure a 20-minute Schengen-to-non Schengen connection is illegal.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​...even if your DUS-MUC is right on time, won't they close the doors on 867 before you've even deplaned from your LH flight?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
​​​​​​
​​​​​​...even if your DUS-MUC is right on time, won't they close the doors on 867 before you've even deplaned from your LH flight?
Depends where they're sitting on DUS-MUC. There's a 5 minute buffer there
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Booked DUS-MUC-YYZ-RDU with DUS-MUC-YYZ booked as AC codeshare operated by LH.

The YYZ-RDU flight being moved to the next day is also a nice touch, but that is change is natural since AC canceled the late night flight to RDU.

The AC website offers zero alternative flights even though there are DUS-FRA-YYZ and DUS-LHR-YYZ routings available.
FWIW, I've made connections in under 8 minutes at MUC (can't remember if only International -> Schengen or also vice versa), but this is definitely a stretch.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
The D-I MCT at MUC is 40 minutes. This is definitely an illegal connection.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
On my last Schengen - Canada at MUC, on a legal, on-time connection, they were already paging me as I walked off my inbound LH flight. I got scolded by the AC GAs for showing up at T-35, because they were "about to close the doors".
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Due to Israel banning flights to Canada and 9 other countries, AC has suspended YYZ-TLV until March 1.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-israel.html#/
the website is trying to deduct a $585 “cancellation fee” to refund this flight that THEY cancelled, and they are trying to say we could rebook on a partner airline when they damn well know those are going to be cancelled too. Any advice?

I should note this trip was for a family funeral event, so “just go in March” isn’t one of the choices.

Edit: called them and got the full refund. Their systems aren’t yet updated to reflect that this is a cancellation not by choice. If anyone else find yourself in this boat, give a call to customer service, and they’ll get you sorted out.

Last edited by vicarious_MR'er; Dec 23, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
the website is trying to deduct a $585 “cancellation fee” to refund this flight that THEY cancelled, and they are trying to say we could rebook on a partner airline when they damn well know those are going to be cancelled too. Any advice?

I should note this trip was for a family funeral event, so “just go in March” isn’t one of the choices
Call.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Call.
done and resolved. Thanks!!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:36 pm

Want to use Standard fare flight pass to book YUL-XXX on a desirable day (a Saturday) but there's no availability in the S fare bucket.
However the same flight on the following Monday has plenty of availability including in the S fare bucket.
I am banking/hoping that AC will cancel the Monday flight due to low loads.

If the Monday flight is removed from schedule, am I entitled to be "reprotected" to the desirable Saturday flight even if it has no availability in the S fare bucket ?

Thanks

Last edited by hoipolloi; Jan 2, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Want to use flight pass to book YUL-XXX on a desirable day (a Saturday) but there's no availability in the S fare bucket.
However the same flight on the following Monday has plenty of availability including in the S fare bucket.
I am banking/hoping that AC will cancel the Monday flight due to low loads.

If the Monday flight is removed from schedule, am I entitled to be "reprotected" to the desirable Saturday flight even if it has no availability in the S fare bucket ?

Thanks
Yes
hoipolloi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.