Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by oaustin

How does the "% in Business Class" work? Are you just rolling the dice on whether or not you end up in business class?
Mixed cabin. A leg of the flight is not in business. 97% is pretty good. Probably a long haul to SEA tagged with a short hop to YVR sorta thing.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
For that itinerary, 97% of the miles flown will be in business class, with the remaining 3% in a lesser class, presumably economy.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:35 am

Oh I see so its the percent of the journey which you yourself will be in Business class. Understood, thanks!!
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by oaustin
Oh I see so its the percent of the journey which you yourself will be in Business class. Understood, thanks!!
If you click on the 97%, it will tell you the breakdown by flight.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Upgrading mixed-cabin awards

- If your whole one-way bound is booked entirely on partner metal, the old rules still apply to upgrading mixed-cabin awards: if I-space opens up, an Aeroplan phone agent can move you up to business. As before, there may be additional taxes and fees; for example, a flight out of LHR or CDG is taxed based on cabin class, so upgrading those segments will likely cost you extra taxes, but on fixed-price, all-partner awards, no additional points will be charged. If the one-way bound includes any AC metal, and therefore has pro-rated pricing, then upgrading a partner segment *may* re-price the whole bound.

- Any mixed-cabin segment on AC metal is eligible for eUpgrade just like an Economy or PE flight booked as an award on its own. I asked if there are specific rules about which exact fare type mixed-cabin awards will book into, and it sounds like they won’t set long-term policy on that until they have more data on "booking volumes and behaviours”, so for now mixed-class segments are assigned fare classes (and presumably priced) based on availability in each case.

- If you book a mixed-class award, you will no longer be waitlisted for upgrade at the gate on the mixed segment. Unless you eUpgrade, the class on your boarding pass is the class you’ll sit in.

Wondering if anyone can answer my question about upgrading mixed cabin awards and specifically about repricing "bounds". If I book a stop-over, are the segments before and after a stop-over considered separate bounds? Or is the entire booking considered one bound? So if I change a flight before the stopover, it won't reprice the flights after the stopover?

Specifically, I am wondering if anyone can advise/confirm on this situation:
I've booked the following Business Class - Flexible Reward because it's hard to find J Award space on both segments of the trip I want to do, so I ended up booking mixed cabin with the hopes of swapping the Y portions for J if something becomes available. For context, the flights are as follows:
BKK-SIN - SQ Economy Class (X)
SIN-LHR - SQ Economy Class (X)
Stopover in LHR
LHR-YUL - AC Business Class (I)
YUL-YOW - AC Economy Class (Y)

If J award space shows up for the BKK-LHR leg, can I call AC to swap for no cost? My main concern is whether changing the BKK-LHR leg would reprice the LHR-YOW leg. The LHR-YUL leg is I-Class, so I assume it wouldn't reprice? But not sure about the YUL-YOW leg and whether that would impact pricing if changes are made to the BKK-LHR leg.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Just as a point of frustration, seeing "mixed" awards where the percentage in J is under 10% is a little silly. That's all it's a lot of clicking to find out for a meh reward that it wouldn't make sense to book.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Just as a point of frustration, seeing "mixed" awards where the percentage in J is under 10% is a little silly. That's all it's a lot of clicking to find out for a meh reward that it wouldn't make sense to book.
This is covered in the first post in the thread. Personally I'd argue that threshold is considerably higher than 10%.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
This is covered in the first post in the thread. Personally I'd argue that threshold is considerably higher than 10%.
I know, I understand the how/why (as much as anyone can), it's just an annoying thing they are doing. Threshold wise I'd agree completely. I'm not sure what exactly is reasonable, but it's not 10%.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:18 am

Aeroplan Award Upgrade due to Upgauge Aircraft

I have booked a USA-YYZ-Europe AP saver award in business (I) where the initial USA-YYZ was a single cabin CRJ-200. Just got an alert that the aircraft has been up-gauged to a CRJ-900 now with a business-class cabin. Are we eligible for an upgrade to the business class cabin without paying additional miles? If it matters, the USA-YYZ economy is booked into (Y)-class.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
I have booked a USA-YYZ-Europe AP saver award in business (I) where the initial USA-YYZ was a single cabin CRJ-200. Just got an alert that the aircraft has been up-gauged to a CRJ-900 now with a business-class cabin. Are we eligible for an upgrade to the business class cabin without paying additional miles? If it matters, the USA-YYZ economy is booked into (Y)-class.
I think you are technically on a Business Class award with an Economy Class seat assignment on your first segment, so I would call in and draw that to their attention and ask to be re-seated in J. Presumably if the change just happened the cabin should be wide open so hopefully won't be an issue for you.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, you booked what you booked. If you want to make a change, you can call and pay the fare difference, or throw eUpgrades at it.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, you booked what you booked. If you want to make a change, you can call and pay the fare difference, or throw eUpgrades at it.
There should be no fare difference as the zone and distance didn't change. But the ticket would be repriced to current levels. Too risky.
BTW, they did something similar to us with an ACV booking. The Q400 on YXU-YYZ segment was replaced with a CR9 for a month. Just in time for our outbound vacation flight. I called in and ACV plainly refused to rebook us to J. Got upgraded anyway, but that's a different story.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
There should be no fare difference as the zone and distance didn't change. But the ticket would be repriced to current levels.
These two sentences are contradictory. The former doesn't really make sense, given this clearly involves AC metal and is therefore priced dynamically - zone and distance don't really matter, because AC charges whatever it wants to charge. But yes, changing this booking to be in J would trigger re-pricing, which might be terrible, or it might not.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
These two sentences are contradictory. The former doesn't really make sense, given this clearly involves AC metal and is therefore priced dynamically - zone and distance don't really matter, because AC charges whatever it wants to charge. But yes, changing this booking to be in J would trigger re-pricing, which might be terrible, or it might not.
Or you might just be able to call-in and have the seating changed as a result of the equipment change, explaining that you booked a Business Class that from A to B to C that didn't have a Business Class cabin initially from A to B. I have done it successfully before with no fee or re-pricing of the ticket...definitely worth a try!
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by billdokes
Or you might just be able to call-in and have the seating changed as a result of the equipment change, explaining that you booked a Business Class that from A to B to C that didn't have a Business Class cabin initially from A to B. I have done it successfully before with no fee or re-pricing of the ticket...definitely worth a try!
That's how it worked under the old Aeroplan program. That's not how it's supposed to work for AC metal segments under the current program. I'm not sure whether your experiences are out of date, not applicable because they refer to partner metal segments, or you just got lucky with an agent who didn't follow the rules. But the OP should be aware of what the policy is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.