Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:45 am

Mixed cabin air canada

So when I tried to book premium economy, the booking states “mixed cabin” flight on air Canada. IAH to ICN with layover in Toronto. The first segment (IAH to Toronto) is economy class. Then the second segment (Toronto to ICN) is Premium Economy.

Would I still be able to get the priority perks with the first segment (IAH to Toronto)? Such as priority check in, priority baggage, priority boarding? Would the boarding pass show priority boarding ?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: A3*G
yes to all
Old Oct 13, 2022, 7:58 pm

One of the flights is economy (N) in a mixed cabin business (I) award on partner metal entirely.

Recently, it took 2-3 hours to talk to an agent.

I don't want to lose the I-space opportunity. If I-space opens up, can I redeem it as a new award ticket (PNR) and call the agent, within 24 hours refundable window, to cancel the new award ticket and move my original (N) seat to (I) seat?

Is the (I) seat available right after an award ticket is cancelled?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by andye; Oct 13, 2022 at 9:04 pm
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by andye
One of the flights is economy (N) in a mixed cabin business (I) award on partner metal entirely.

Recently, it took 2-3 hours to talk to an agent.

I don't want to lose the I-space opportunity. If I-space opens up, can I redeem it as a new award ticket (PNR) and call the agent, within 24 hours refundable window, to cancel the new award ticket and move my original (N) seat to (I) seat?

Is the (I) seat available right after an award ticket is cancelled?

Thanks in advance.
This isn't really a mixed-cabin question, but no, when you cancel an award the seat won't necessarily go back into the fare class you bought it from.

It might, but it's definitely not something to count on.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Here's a question that I can't find the answer to. If I want to e-up the economy leg of a mixed cabin flight, does the clearance window open right away like latitude fares, or just a few days before the flight?

The business lowest option is economy X from YUL to Milan and then J on a partner airline to Rome. If the e-up window opens right away, I'd use that for the YUL-Milan leg.
If not, I will just buy a latitude fare and e-up that right away. This is an aeroplan redemption, and both options are very close in price. The second option would downgrade the partner flight but it's just an hour long, so no big deal.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Low Roller

If not, I will just buy a latitude fare and e-up that right away. This is an aeroplan redemption, and both options are very close in price. The second option would downgrade the partner flight but it's just an hour long, so no big deal.
A J lowest redemption would not clear any Y segments until your normal status eup clearance window per the award charts.

​​​​​​It seems like latitude is what you'd want. Unless you have a bad feeling about irrops or schedule changes... confirmed eup only entitles you to your booked class of service (Y) on a replacement AC or partner flight
Low Roller likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Here's a question that I can't find the answer to. If I want to e-up the economy leg of a mixed cabin flight, does the clearance window open right away like latitude fares, or just a few days before the flight?

The business lowest option is economy X from YUL to Milan and then J on a partner airline to Rome. If the e-up window opens right away, I'd use that for the YUL-Milan leg.
The practical answer is that a Latitude fare *would* allow you to eUp right away, given positive R-space, in which case the sole benefit of booking a business fare would be an hour in Euro-J, otherwise known as an Economy seat with the middle blocked.

The theoretical answer is that it’s neither consistent nor predictable what letter code or fare basis a mixed segment on a Business Lowest award will book into, and I’m not sure the community has built up enough data points to spot any particular patterns.
Low Roller likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
A J lowest redemption would not clear any Y segments until your normal status eup clearance window per the award charts.

​​​​​​It seems like latitude is what you'd want. Unless you have a bad feeling about irrops or schedule changes... confirmed eup only entitles you to your booked class of service (Y) on a replacement AC or partner flight
That's what I figured. Thanks everyone for the quick input!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The theoretical answer is that it’s neither consistent nor predictable what letter code or fare basis a mixed segment on a Business Lowest award will book into, and I’m not sure the community has built up enough data points to spot any particular patterns.
Some part of it is actually very predictable.
For a mixed cabin redemption involving partner J leg and AC metal on lower cabin, the AC leg(s) can only be booked into the award space, i.e. only N or X. The fare basis will be fixed, IBP00AEL if partner leg is on J or NBP00APL if partner leg is on O (note that very few partner has award space for PE so this will require more DPs).
For a mixed cabin redemption involving only AC metals, the lower cabin legs, again, can only be booked in to N or X space, and the fare basis would be determined on the cash availability bucket for the higher cabin leg(s).

I’d love if someone has some counter DPs but so far this is what I have gathered and inferred from my personal DPs.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
For a mixed cabin redemption involving partner J leg and AC metal on lower cabin, the AC leg(s) can only be booked into the award space, i.e. only N or X.
I think that's several huge assumptions to make.
guessaaa and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by JacFlyer
For a mixed cabin redemption involving partner J leg and AC metal on lower cabin, the AC leg(s) can only be booked into the award space, i.e. only N or X. The fare basis will be fixed, IBP00AEL if partner leg is on J or NBP00APL if partner leg is on O (note that very few partner has award space for PE so this will require more DPs).
For a mixed cabin redemption involving only AC metals, the lower cabin legs, again, can only be booked in to N or X space, and the fare basis would be determined on the cash availability bucket for the higher cabin leg(s).
You lost me there. Doesn't O on *A = First?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Aeroplan reward tickets can book into any of AC's Y fare buckets for AC metal, regardless whether there's a partner flight on the itinerary. It doesn't really matter which fare bucket it books to, the reward pricing will be based on what's available. Your ticket restrictions/conditions will be based off of the fare basis, not the fare buckets used. I actually haven't had AC metal on a reward ticket book in X since the program revamp, though I'm sure it can still happen, and I've had partner flights on the ticket as well.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:52 pm

A question for you all.

For a mixed cabin redemption on partner airlines (MIA - FRA in Y // FRA - SGN in J), if business award seat opens up for the MIA - FRA flight, do I get upgraded to business automatically? Or would I have to keep an eye on business award seat opening up and call in Aeroplan manually to get it changed?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jskang07
A question for you all.

For a mixed cabin redemption on partner airlines (MIA - FRA in Y // FRA - SGN in J), if business award seat opens up for the MIA - FRA flight, do I get upgraded to business automatically? Or would I have to keep an eye on business award seat opening up and call in Aeroplan manually to get it changed?
You have to keep your eye on it and call in if something comes up.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:52 pm

Data, point, Mixed cabin business award with one short haul segment in economy. Business opened up for that segment. Multiple back and forth with support and supervisor but all I get is I must pay the change fee to upgrade that segment. Anyone else getting this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.