Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's how it worked under the old Aeroplan program. That's not how it's supposed to work for AC metal segments under the current program. I'm not sure whether your experiences are out of date, not applicable because they refer to partner metal segments, or you just got lucky with an agent who didn't follow the rules. But the OP should be aware of what the policy is.
Or the fare difference was 0.

Just because there's no adcol doesn't mean they didn't reprice it.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's how it worked under the old Aeroplan program. That's not how it's supposed to work for AC metal segments under the current program. I'm not sure whether your experiences are out of date, not applicable because they refer to partner metal segments, or you just got lucky with an agent who didn't follow the rules. But the OP should be aware of what the policy is.
Yes, the policy is the policy, but like most things at AC, YMMV...I guess I just got lucky or got an agent that was interested in making a customer (SE MM) happy with something that was easy to do because the space was there and they could do it.

Lots of examples of that...most recent, flying with Bill Jr #1 tomorrow...I'm on my UL FP, he's on a basic paid fare...seat options at check-in were awful for him, nothing showing but middles, but lots of windows and aisles for me when I checked in...called the Concierge, explained the situation and she happily re-seated him from his middle seat to an aisle.

If you don't ask you won't get, if you ask nicely, clearly and specifically about what you want them to do you might just get what you want.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:43 am

Have a Biz Flex AUH-ORD-YYZ with ORD-YYZ on United Y and a 9 hr layover in ORD. 1 month before flight, noted United I class opens up and called in. Agent could not ticket. Can only change to AC ticket but need 20k more pt due to dynamic pricing
HUCA, same results.
Decided to utilize United same day free change after landed in ORD. No go at app or Kiosk. Message to see rep
Went to check in counter, 30 mins later (after 2 different representative) , a supervisor eventually came over and booked a confirmed ticket (still in Y but not standby) earlier so layover is only 3 hrs.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by aliquen
Have a Biz Flex AUH-ORD-YYZ with ORD-YYZ on United Y and a 9 hr layover in ORD. 1 month before flight, noted United I class opens up and called in. Agent could not ticket. Can only change to AC ticket but need 20k more pt due to dynamic pricing
HUCA, same results.
Definitely supposed to be possible.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:27 pm

Scam by Aeroplan - Mixed fares but they don't show which segment is what

I'm looking at fares to Australia from North America. I came across a sweet scam Aeroplan is running. When I look at the one appealing mixed fares, it doesn't show what segment is what. It's a flight to IAH, then to SYD and then Vrigin Atlantic to Brisbane. What segment is in business? who knows. They don't show it in Details and they don't show it in Preview Seats. Is that Business class to IAH and then coach everywhere else? Who knows. Aeroplan thinks its irrelevant.

Great scam they're running.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
After you click on the award price a screen that asks you to specify whether you want the "Lowest Reward" or a "Flexible Reward" pops up and it will tell you specifically what leg is in what class at the bottom of that page. You can also use the visual bar filter to see what % of the flights are in J but it doesn't get more granular than that.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
It'd be easier to reproduce your results if you told us the whole routing, but it doesn't particularly matter.

I just ran through an essentially-identical booking for shiggles, and wouldn't you know it, the mixed-cabin details were clearly marked at every step of the booking flow.

...which part of this did you find deceptive?

If you'd like to learn more about mixed-cabin fares in pedantic detail, may I offer:
Far Siren, vernonc, ffsim and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
Actually the interface does indicate the segments in business. You just have to look at the notes under features list.
for Aeroplan searches, the same general information if posted, but instead of indicating flights in business it actually specifies which are in economy. For the info is transparently presented in both situations.

Perhaps Next time just ask the FT community rather than suggesting a “scam”.

Lol, it seems like many of us jumped on a response in parallel! Go FTers!
Wigg and summerflyer like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 16, 2024 at 7:14 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
I'm looking at fares to Australia from North America. I came across a sweet scam Aeroplan is running. When I look at the one appealing mixed fares, it doesn't show what segment is what. It's a flight to IAH, then to SYD and then Vrigin Atlantic to Brisbane. What segment is in business? who knows. They don't show it in Details and they don't show it in Preview Seats. Is that Business class to IAH and then coach everywhere else? Who knows. Aeroplan thinks its irrelevant.

Great scam they're running.
​​​​​​​I’m confused. I just did a dummy booking to SYD.

Above the search results was a “sort and filter” button. I was able to filter to exclude mixed cabin results. I was also able to filter out certain airports as connections and which airlines.

When clicking on the pricing option for mixed cabin results for premium economy or business it would clearly show what legs were in a lesser cabin.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:30 pm

Hi, thank you for this! I was reading on the mixed cabin eupgrades. Currently I have found a mixed cabin Business (Lowest) from YYZ - NRT - ICN. The YYZ - NRT portion is Economy, but eupgrades are available. My question is what class is the Economy on? When will my eupgrade clear? Will it clear instantly after I book as it is treated like PY Flex or Econ Lat?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Looking for any experience with/knowledge of this scenario, for business lowest ticket..

All AC metal TATL booking. Single domestic leg in Y, single TATL leg in J.

If a schedule change happens and queues the rebooking options, will all domestic connection options remain in Y?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by crystalchen6
Hi, thank you for this! I was reading on the mixed cabin eupgrades. Currently I have found a mixed cabin Business (Lowest) from YYZ - NRT - ICN. The YYZ - NRT portion is Economy, but eupgrades are available. My question is what class is the Economy on? When will my eupgrade clear? Will it clear instantly after I book as it is treated like PY Flex or Econ Lat?
My experience with revenue tickets (when the cabin is not available on the aircraft) are in PY, economy segments are booked in Latitude, but in business, economy segments are booked in Flex. I suspect if you want to upgrade immediately you should booked a Business (Flexible) fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.