Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I see now that Aeroplan has "Exclude Mixed Cabin" as an option while doing searches. About time.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
I see now that Aeroplan has "Exclude Mixed Cabin" as an option while doing searches. About time.
That's great if you're searching something like SFO-TYO.

Not so great if you live in YYJ. Or even YOW, where a YUL connection is common.

If only there were a way to say "I want 80% of the trip to be in the top cabin" ...
ksm06 and RoninTech like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If only there were a way to say "I want 80% of the trip to be in the top cabin" ...
Very true, but Rome was not built in a day! I just hated those kind of searches where you searched for a business ticket and ended up with 67 flights at 5 to 10% J.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was the previous option wasn't it? Under the old option, the J class on a TPAC was usually the connection flight, while the long haul was in Y. It is why I would refer to the previous format as misrepresentation, deceitful, dishonest etc. I welcome the change. At least now I can clearly and quickly see when there are no TPAC J options. The new format allows me to consider a greater range of fixes such as paying for a segment to connect to a hub if the J option is unavailable. The new format will eliminate a lot of the ill will / negative sentiment that attached to the scenario described in comment above. As soon as the EVA, ANA and Swiss inventory is available again, I'll be in my golden period of redemptions where I can redeem on the better quality *A carriers.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:56 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by c2d
I have an Aeroplan First class lowest award on EY for IAD-AUH-DEL. (Lowest First award was for 130k miles, flexible first award was for 146k miles, but both with the 2nd segment in economy). Couple of strange things:
1. IAD-AUH supposed to be in First, but the email confirmation shows Business (O). Is it actually first? Never mind, confirmed on Etihad website that it is indeed First.
2. AUH-DEL seated in Economy (N), but if I search that segment separately, I can see lowest business award available for that segment. Edit: I called Aeroplan, they said they need to be able to find availability for the whole trip together, cannot delete the 2nd segment and update it due to this being "married". I guess I am out of luck as the search only returns First+Econ if together, and if I search multi-city, I get Econ+Business for the same flights Any ideas?

Thanks for any tips.
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It is normal, and is something I've also come across with EY, and there is no way around this AFAIK, unless perhaps breaking the journey at AUH and having the itinerary price separately (assuming each segment has award availability when searching individually).
As noted above, I have this IAD-AUH(First) + AUH-DEL(Econ) award. I understand now that these are married segments.
A (hopefully not dumb) question -- If I search separately, I can get AUH-DEL in Business for 25k miles. If I were to buy that separately for the additional 25k miles, will I be able to fly that segment in Business? i.e. I will have two tickets for that flight (one in Economy and one in Business). First of all, is this legal under the airline COC and valid? And if so, would I be able to explain this at check in and not cause issues with my through checked luggage from IAD to DEL?

Last edited by c2d; Mar 4, 2022 at 10:04 am Reason: clarify question
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by c2d
A (hopefully not dumb) question -- If I search separately, I can get AUH-DEL in Business for 25k miles. If I were to buy that separately for the additional 25k miles, will I be able to fly that segment in Business? i.e. I will have two tickets for that flight (one in Economy and one in Business). Would I be able to explain this at check in and not cause issues with my through checked luggage from IAD to DEL?
AC's tariff prohibits booking multiple reservations for the same route on the same day, and since they're the ticketing carrier, they will likely cancel one of your bookings if you make duplicate bookings like that (see this thread for more).

The question would be whether you could delete the AUH-DEL segment that you already have, then add on the AUH-DEL segment in J, paying for it separately as a new bound. If IAD-AUH and AUH-DEL were married when you booked them, I don't know whether you can just drop the AUH-DEL segment, but it might be worth asking.

To maximize your chances of success, I would not explain everything to the agent. I would simply call and ask whether I could delete the AUH-DEL segment from the PNR. If they say no, end the call there. You can HUCA and see if someone else will do it. If and when they do delete it, tell them you want to make another change and add the AUH-DEL leg in J as a new bound.

Or you could phone in and say there was no availability in J on AUH-DEL when you booked this, but now you see space open (ignoring everything to do with married segments), and just ask whether they can change that one segment.

The answer might ultimately be no, but the duplicate booking thing is definitely not the answer.

You might also want to consult the thread on complex bookings, where someone may already have discussed something like this.
c2d, vancouver25k and fbrdky like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 4, 2022 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:43 pm
c2d

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC's tariff prohibits booking multiple reservations for the same route on the same day, and since they're the ticketing carrier, they will likely cancel one of your bookings if you make duplicate bookings like that (see this thread for more).

The question would be whether you could delete the AUH-DEL segment that you already have, then add on the AUH-DEL segment in J, paying for it separately as a new bound. If IAD-AUH and AUH-DEL were married when you booked them, I don't know whether you can just drop the AUH-DEL segment, but it might be worth asking.

To maximize your chances of success, I would not explain everything to the agent. I would simply call and ask whether I could delete the AUH-DEL segment from the PNR. If they say no, end the call there. You can HUCA and see if someone else will do it. If and when they do delete it, tell them you want to make another change and add the AUH-DEL leg in J as a new bound.

Or you could phone in and say there was no availability in J on AUH-DEL when you booked this, but now you see space open (ignoring everything to do with married segments), and just ask whether they can change that one segment.

The answer might ultimately be no, but the duplicate booking thing is definitely not the answer.

You might also want to consult the thread on complex bookings, where someone may already have discussed something like this.
Thanks! I will try your suggestions and post here if I am successful with one of those.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:47 pm

I really appreciate this sort of coaching from experienced flyers on the forum. Most of us, when faced with "sorry no", can't tell if we're trying to do something we shouldn't/can't or if the issue is on the other end of the phone. Your (collective) sagely advice is very helpful! Just this week canadiancow helped me get an eUp confirmed when HUCA was getting me nowhere.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:24 am
c2d

Originally Posted by c2d
Thanks! I will try your suggestions and post here if I am successful with one of those.
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
I really appreciate this sort of coaching from experienced flyers on the forum. Most of us, when faced with "sorry no", can't tell if we're trying to do something we shouldn't/can't or if the issue is on the other end of the phone. Your (collective) sagely advice is very helpful! Just this week canadiancow helped me get an eUp confirmed when HUCA was getting me nowhere.
Yes, I echo vancouver25k's sentiments. Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I haven't been successful with changing my multi cabin booking so far, I still have a few days to try. Btw, I did want to note here something unexpected that I found out -- for such multi cabin bookings, apparently Etihad won't let you use the First class lounge or even the Business class lounge in AUH if your onward is in Economy. And there is no Priority Pass lounge in AUH terminal 3, so looks like I am out of luck once I land in AUH
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:21 am
c2d

Originally Posted by c2d
Yes, I echo vancouver25k's sentiments. Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I haven't been successful with changing my multi cabin booking so far, I still have a few days to try. Btw, I did want to note here something unexpected that I found out -- for such multi cabin bookings, apparently Etihad won't let you use the First class lounge or even the Business class lounge in AUH if your onward is in Economy. And there is no Priority Pass lounge in AUH terminal 3, so looks like I am out of luck once I land in AUH
update: I never could get the AUH-DEL separated and J award space wasn’t showing up for that segment separately anyway for the last few days.

Interesting discovery— I am currently writing this from the AUH Etihad business lounge. They could upgrade me to J for the AUH-DEL leg here at the lounge for ~USD300. I thought it was not possible to upgrade award tickets with cash, but pleasantly surprised that I could and that wasn’t for too much. The lounge agent said they couldn’t do this at other airports maybe, and I wasn’t offered this option at IAD check in. Something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by c2d
update: I never could get the AUH-DEL separated and J award space wasn’t showing up for that segment separately anyway for the last few days.

Interesting discovery— I am currently writing this from the AUH Etihad business lounge. They could upgrade me to J for the AUH-DEL leg here at the lounge for ~USD300. I thought it was not possible to upgrade award tickets with cash, but pleasantly surprised that I could and that wasn’t for too much. The lounge agent said they couldn’t do this at other airports maybe, and I wasn’t offered this option at IAD check in. Something to keep in mind.
Thanks to all for all of this helpful info. I'm in a similar boat, hoping to book IAD-AUH-KUL. I can get 2 in F from IAD to AUH, but only economy on to KUL. I can see J for AUH-KUL, but no dice on getting J to fit with the F. Disappointing that it doesn't work, but glad to know the answer at least. And glad to know that I may be able to buy up to J while at AUH. Bummer about no F lounge access.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by c2d

I tried to upgrade a vistara AC rewards flight from DEL to FRA they quoted my $750 and I was willing to do it but then they for some reason weren't able to at check in nor at the gate.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Bindy Johal
I tried to upgrade a vistara AC rewards flight from DEL to FRA they quoted my $750 and I was willing to do it but then they for some reason weren't able to at check in nor at the gate.
UK service is kinda ...... in that route. I think you saved 750$.

I am reading recent reports that AI J is better than UK J in International routes after Tata takeover. (factoring experience not just based on hard product)
Bindy Johal likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
UK service is kinda ...... in that route. I think you saved 750$.

I am reading recent reports that AI J is better than UK J in International routes after Tata takeover. (factoring experience not just based on hard product)
in hind sight I should have paid the 65k points fare as opposed to the 35k fare if I wanted to fly business with them tbh. but you are right.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:26 am

AC rebooked me from business to economy. Am I out of luck?

Flying FCO-YUL-MCO tomorrow on an award. The FCO-YUL segment is correct and I am booked into "Business (I)". I booked before the change to dynamic award pricing and the YUL-MCO segment was booked as "Business (X)" and I got a seat assignment in Y due to no availability in J. I understood this to mean that when checking in, I would get the J seat if there was one available. There was a schedule change and now it says I am booked as "Economy (X)". Does this mean I have lost the ability to get the J seat upon check in?

Last edited by vinnmann; Jun 5, 2022 at 10:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.