Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes, you want to make a voluntary change, so you pay the change fee.
YOWgary likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Data, point, Mixed cabin business award with one short haul segment in economy. Business opened up for that segment. Multiple back and forth with support and supervisor but all I get is I must pay the change fee to upgrade that segment. Anyone else getting this?
it is just $100 canadians so pretty cheap for an upgrade.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Makes sense!
Old May 22, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Doesn't the fare rule matter?

We had segments on UA booked in Y and when J opened up, we just had to pay the difference in points+taxes/exchange, as the fare rule said change fee is waived if upgrading from economy to business reward...
michaelpowell44 likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Doesn't the fare rule matter?

We had segments on UA booked in Y and when J opened up, we just had to pay the difference in points+taxes/exchange, as the fare rule said change fee is waived if upgrading from economy to business reward...
As the original article notes, partner awards operate differently in this respect than AC-operated award flights.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
it is just $100 canadians so pretty cheap for an upgrade.
Not when you factor in that J points were redeemed for the Y seat.
$100 + J level points is paying twice for the same product.
vs. paying J points and sitting is Y is paying once and not getting what you paid for.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Not when you factor in that J points were redeemed for the Y seat.
$100 + J level points is paying twice for the same product.
vs. paying J points and sitting is Y is paying once and not getting what you paid for.
So why you booked with segment in Y if you belived price was not fair? Partner awards on aeroplan, lifemiles and other programs were always working like that. Mixed awards were actually introduced to allow booking long haul J with short haul in Y to overcome limited avalabilty on short haul and allow for traveling on same PNR instead of booking two separate segments.

Anyway as I mentioned $100 candians is cheap for change. Lifemiles would charge $150 american for same change. Not to mention that you will fly long haul J for cheap as you are lucky to book with miles.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I'm looking at a J redemption to SIN later this month, seeing YYZ to NRT on August 29th with R9, and NH has seats in I for the NRT to SIN leg, so why is Aeroplan only offering me a mixed cabin booking with the YYZ to NRT leg ticketed in J, but seated in Y? Is this because of some married segment logic?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pilot007
I'm looking at a J redemption to SIN later this month, seeing YYZ to NRT on August 29th with R9, and NH has seats in I for the NRT to SIN leg, so why is Aeroplan only offering me a mixed cabin booking with the YYZ to NRT leg ticketed in J, but seated in Y? Is this because of some married segment logic?
R and I do not determine what AC offers as mixed-cabin or not.

If I'm reading you correctly, this is being offered to you in Business Lowest, with the YYZ-NRT leg seated in Y, and the NRT-SIN leg seated in J. Is that correct?

If so, then the solution is exactly as described in the first post of this thread; click through to "Business Flexible" and you'll be offered the exact same flights but with the AC segment in J at a higher overall price. Note that if you book this in Biz Flex departing YYZ, you'll have access to the Signature Suite before departure.

There is no married-segment logic of any kind at play here; AC simply wants to sell you the J seat on YYZ-NRT at a substantially higher price.

Alternatively, on that same date you could pay ~101K for a Biz Flex booking YYZ-SFO-SIN, with the short leg in AC Signature and the long leg in United Polaris.

Ironically, if and when that YYZ-SFO leg is inevitably delayed - and it'd take very little delay to break that connection - you may well be able to get the concierge to book you onto the YYZ-NRT-SIN routing you wanted to fly in the first place.
pilot007, ffsim, Bohemian1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
R and I do not determine what AC offers as mixed-cabin or not.

If I'm reading you correctly, this is being offered to you in Business Lowest, with the YYZ-NRT leg seated in Y, and the NRT-SIN leg seated in J. Is that correct?
Thanks, yes that's correct. For some reason I thought it was R that determined availability on the AC segment. I'm rarely booking rewards so get confused easily when I do book them.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 5:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Thanks YOWgary . I was losing faith about the content around here and you just provided a ray of hope.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Thanks YOWgary . I was losing faith about the content around here and you just provided a ray of hope.
The first post contains some great details, as I'm sure the rest of the thread does, but maybe a wiki would help since there's a lot to digest/parse in some of these posts. Not all of us are Aeroplan regulars. I just earn my SQM and SQD and infrequently redeem.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pilot007
The first post contains some great details, as I'm sure the rest of the thread does, but maybe a wiki would help since there's a lot to digest/parse in some of these posts. Not all of us are Aeroplan regulars. I just earn my SQM and SQD and infrequently redeem.
You (and other members with 90 days and 90 posts or whatever the requirement is) can create a wiki.

Most "experts" can answer a question in 30 seconds, but it might take us hours to imagine the questions and write the answers.

So if a wiki appeared with a FAQ (without any answers), I'm sure the answers would get filled in by various members as time allowed.
cuto, billdokes, Bohemian1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

I can probably write a wiki on my transcon on Wednesday.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:06 am

Air Canada Partner Airline "X% in Business Class"

How does the "% in Business Class" work? Are you just rolling the dice on whether or not you end up in business class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.