Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A deep dive on mixed-cabin awards with Mark Nasr

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skybluesea
First, I have repeatedly point out I accept what OP has posted.

Yet, my point is why would AC engage in this way and to what end.
They took the time to provide an in-depth explanation of a complex part of the revamped rewards program. That's more than many airlines have done, often leaving it to flyers to figure it out for themselves. In this case, AC didn't make a bunch of bloggers/FTers spend a bunch of time rooting around to figure this all out, they gave us a lot of the info.

And for my cynicism - well, OP just posted this elsewhere so do we really believe anything AC has to say.
There's a huge difference between explaining technical/administrative components of the frequent flyer program vs adopting a very aggressive legal position that allows them to preserve hundreds of millions of dollars of cash.
canadiancow and martyYOW like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by skybluesea
First, I have repeatedly point out I accept what OP has posted.

And for my cynicism - well, OP just posted this elsewhere so do we really believe anything AC has to say.
I would be fascinated to hear how you reconcile these two statements.

I've put a fair bit of work into tracking down some information I felt would be valuable to this community, and the frequent-flyer community at large.

I'd probably do best to ignore your comments, but you've come close enough to some pretty remarkable accusations that I'd like you to explain yourself, please.

Last edited by YOWgary; Dec 17, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old May 24, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Aeroplan business lowest, but economy seating

I am booking a flight using AP from YVR to ATH with a stopover in YYZ. Looking for business class, so there is Business Lowest that gives you economy class from YVR to YYZ but business class from YYZ to ATH for 75K AP, or if I want business class the whole way it is 105K AP (business flexible). If I book the business lowest option, if there are seats in J would I be on the upgrade list for the YVR to YYZ flight or would I be seated in Y for the YVR to YYZ portion no matter what?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 24, 2021 at 2:33 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old May 24, 2021, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aker
I am booking a flight using AP from YVR to ATH with a stopover in YYZ. Looking for business class, so there is Business Lowest that gives you economy class from YVR to YYZ but business class from YYZ to ATH for 75K AP, or if I want business class the whole way it is 105K AP (business flexible). If I book the business lowest option, if there are seats in J would I be on the upgrade list for the YVR to YYZ flight or would I be seated in Y for the YVR to YYZ portion no matter what?
You'll get what you booked.

On a Business Lowest ticket with one or more segments seated in Economy, you will not be added to the upgrade list in advance or at the gate. If you see an attractive Business Lowest award fare pop up before departure, you can call in and change to this award, subject to any fare difference.

You will be eligible to use eUpgrades as if you had booked the Economy segment on its own, but I believe these book into Economy Standard by default.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 24, 2021 at 2:33 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old May 24, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by YOWgary
You'll get what you booked.

On a Business Lowest ticket with one or more segments seated in Economy, you will not be added to the upgrade list in advance or at the gate. If you see an attractive Business Lowest award fare pop up before departure, you can call in and change to this award, subject to any fare difference.

You will be eligible to use eUpgrades as if you had booked the Economy segment on its own, but I believe these book into Economy Standard by default.
Got it thanks
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
One more time: if you see a mixed-cabin award in Business Lowest or PE Lowest, switching to a Flexible award will move all AC-metal flights into the desired class.
Apparently not

And the flight in question is J9 R4 Y9...

AC just gives me more reasons to hate this new program all the time.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Amazing YOWgary !

Masterfully deboning the new system for us to savour the meat!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Great work YOWgary!

I am running into a situation and two AC agents on phone refused to budge. I have a OW reward flight DEL-FRA-SFO in J with both segments on LH. Now, for FRA-SFO F space opened up (lowest) and it shows on AC search engine. But when I called AC to upgrade that segment to F, they say they can't do it without breaking the ticket. That does not sound right to me.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you just book it from scratch?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiznick
Great work YOWgary!

I am running into a situation and two AC agents on phone refused to budge. I have a OW reward flight DEL-FRA-SFO in J with both segments on LH. Now, for FRA-SFO F space opened up (lowest) and it shows on AC search engine. But when I called AC to upgrade that segment to F, they say they can't do it without breaking the ticket. That does not sound right to me.

Any thoughts?
You *should* be able to up-fare to an F award, I'm not sure what would break in the attempt.

Do you have enough points to just rebook a new award?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I can’t book from scratch as there is no J class left on the first segment Del-Fra. So Del-SFO doesn’t show up any results.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:12 pm

HUCA.
YOWgary and kalderlake like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:56 am

Standby for Business Upgrade

Just wondering, with all the recent changes, does Aeroplan still do standby for upgrades if your ticket is in J? Booked AUH to YVR through YYZ but the YYZ to YVR leg is in Premium Econ. Just wondering if I can standby to grab J for that route. Not a big deal if not, but pods would be nice. Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:06 am

No. You had the option to book a flexible reward, which had the YYZ-YVR in J, but you decided it wasn't worth the price, so you get exactly what you pay for.
bobu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.