Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly. For those of us who have done just fine avoiding AC metal, this is a positive.

And really, it's been just fine enjoying far superior carriers like BR, NH, LO or TK.
Even without YQ, I will avoid AC metal unless last resource. So yes, spending a few thousand more points from a credit card sign up or promo is preferred to $1000+ of my money.

Now if its true that YQ is staying for partners due to the vague wording, that will be a massive devaluation.
Found this in Globe and Mail article...https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...led-and-its-a/

In a surprising move, Air Canada has removed this fee for all carriers (though taxes and third-party fees still apply), but there is a C$39 fee when booking with partner airlines.There’s now no need to find routing with a partner airline that gave you a less than ideal itinerary just to save cash. Although it may cost you more points to redeem a flight, the savings you get from not paying surcharges make it a pretty good trade-off.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:23 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
For those not visiting that link, here's two datapoints:

Looks like we will soon need a new 'AQM/AQD' calculator.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Aug 11, 2020 at 10:38 am Reason: More mobile friendly.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
quite a devaluation though

Testing YYZ-TPE on EVA Air
Old program = it was 75K Y/150K J r/t

new program, NA-Pacific zone, 7501+ miles = ONE-WAY Partner 60K Y/85K J (120K Y/170K J r/t)

120K vs 75K in Y is a +60% increase, ...
don't forget no YQ on EVA so no trade off like some of the Atlantic routes so agreed for some this is a big deval based on your usage in the past.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:34 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shawneve
If my understanding is correct, the separation of status miles and spendable miles has some interesting ramifications.
The earning of status miles (SQM) appears to be unchanged - based on distance flown.
However the earning of spendable miles (now points) has significant changes as it is based on $ spent on base fare/surcharge.
At first glance this should favor expensive short flights.

[...]

Are my assumptions correct?
Yes. What seems to be missing is details on how earning will work on partner tickets. In other revenue-based programs, the arbitrage opportunity has been to find partner tickets that credit you miles that essentially give you credit for spending, say 20 cpm when you spend <10.

Related question - will the select privilege of bonus (spendable) miles based on status still exist on top of this?
Who knows.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Looks like we will soon need a new 'AQM/AQD' calculator.
Not until "later in 2021". Hopefully by then AC will have joined the US3 in showing earning on the website. Although partner tickets may still be an issue. Lots of time left though.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 11, 2020 at 10:45 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Any info on changes to chart for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I feel like the Status Passes as a select privilege may mean the end of gifted status tiers. Not that I care since I've never gifted status, but some might.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by yvr76
  • Priority boarding is going to be a complete mess in 2021. Almost every Aeroplan Distinction status member is grandfathered to P25K, which also gets Zone 2 boarding. For gates that have combined Zone 1 / 2 lanes, and agents that call them together, it's a devaluation for 35K, 50K, 75K and SE. If everyone is special, nobody is
Unless P25K gets really nerfed, which it may. Do we know what the benefits will be for 2021 yet?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Unless P25K gets really nerfed, which it may. Do we know what the benefits will be for 2021 yet?
No, we don't. Hopefully P25K will get moved to Z3.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AC 35k
Overall - for FOHTSGs, this is a massively positive change.
If you are a high CC spender or buy J around NA and Sun, this is a generally positive change. Free P25K (they may gut this tier) and decent benefits.
If you are actually a frequent flier, these changes are not very positive at all.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by yvr76
Comments:
  • Priority boarding is going to be a complete mess in 2021. Almost every Aeroplan Distinction status member is grandfathered to P25K, which also gets Zone 2 boarding. For gates that have combined Zone 1 / 2 lanes, and agents that call them together, it's a devaluation for 35K, 50K, 75K and SE. If everyone is special, nobody is.
Of course in this climate is the desire is to have "Non-Priority Boarding". Strange trade between a chance at overhead bin space and having everyone come down the aisle after you with possible infection..
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I liked the old program better, but that's no surprise to me.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yowcat
Of course in this climate is the desire is to have "Non-Priority Boarding". Strange trade between a chance at overhead bin space and having everyone come down the aisle after you with possible infection..
Exactly. I want someone to put my suitcase overhead on my behalf while I board last!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Benner
Oh good:
  • 1 point for every $1 spent on all other Purchases, including Drugstore Purchases
I guess I need to wait and see how much cheaper the "predicted" business class rewards to Asia are relative to buying a ticket with cash and adjust that reward based on the rate of earn between an Aeroplan credit card and a Cashback credit card. Although Aeroplan cards should be preferred by Altitude members, with a 1% Cashback card you can earn one 'Bank of Canada reward point' (a cent) with every dollar spent and 50,000 cents being enough to for a $500 credit on any airline with no restrictions. At present, If I use my reward cents to buy a ticket with Air Canada, I get AQM, AQS and AQD for that applicable fare, which helps build my Altitude status, whereas buying Aeroplan points fare does nothing for status accumulation. Non-Aeroplan fares also usually preferred calculations for eupgrades.

However, as pointed out above, it looks like Air Canada is trying to make Aeroplan credit card holders somehow have better access to Altitude benefits than those who rely on cashback cards. That's clever, because to date I was only collecting Aeroplan miles/points to be used for fixed business class rewards, which if booked right, come at a significant discount to what I would have to pay if I was earning and using cents. That "value proposition" is apparently being devalued, but it is not clear to me by how much.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
I am gathering that Altitude is going away (not surprising). The new branding is really well done and the credit card look is very nice.

What will happen to the select privilege that gives a bonus on the base miles you fly based on status? I have selected this the last few years and as SE has given me a 100% Aeroplan mile bonus on the base AQM. It's not clear how that gets managed - if I am SE and purchase a business class fare, will I get 3X then 4X then 2X the dollar amount or will I still get the bonus based on what is now SQM?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:20 am

if i'm not mistaken the value of the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card sky rocketed in value with the companion pass. Assuming you can spend $25K a year no issues, the pass basically pays for the annual fee of the card (looking at YYZ-YVR) + you can enjoy all the other benefits. Downside it can only be used for economy seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.